348 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

348 Winchester

Post by SJPrice »

In the last couple of day I have become intrigued by the idea of a Browning 71 or an original Winchester 71 in 348 Winchester. I would love to hear anyones thoughts, experience and or stories involving this rifle/caliber combination.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 348 Winchester

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have a 48' Winchester Mod. 71. I love it. I have hunted elk and deer with it. I am confident that I could take any game in N. America with the rifle. I reload for it as well as use Winchester factory loads. I have enough hand loading components to last me the rest of my life.

This is one of my favorite guns and I will never sell it.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have one made in '48 also. I've owned it for 16 or 17 years but never fired it until 2 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy as I'd heard it would be mediocre. I can't recall exactly what the group was but it was around 1.5-2.0 at 100yds. Mine has a 56 Lyman on it. I always said I would use it if i got drawn for a moose permit and I finally did last year. I've only shot handloads through it using Hornady 200fp over 60gr. of IMR4350. Recoil is stout. Moose was not a problem as I suspect no other North American game would be.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Buy one, you will join a very elite group and you will love the rifle. For shooting get a Browning 71 carbine. At my mountain cabin when I have to go check a noise at night that little carbine feels "just right" as there are lots of bears in the neighborhood, black bears and grizzlies. The kick is only bad if you are stupid enough to shoot it in July with a sweaty t-shirt on, boy did that leave a mark :lol:
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Big Bear, now that was funny. Thanks for the replies and keep em coming.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

SJPrice
Here you find some more about the Winchester/Browning 71 and 348 Winchester

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 8&start=20
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Okay I want you guys to know that you are a bad influence. I just made arrangements to have a Browning 71 High Grade Carbine shipped to local dealer so I can pick it up next week. I also ordered dies and brass from Sinclair to arrive about the same time. Now I am searching for bullets, cast bullets and possible some factory Winchester Silvertips in 348. Again, keep the stories and experience coming, and now you can include "pet loads" as well.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm trying to get out with one of my 71's for hogs while I'm on vacation this holiday season. I wish the factory Silvertip was easier to come by these days.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Do yourself a favor and pick up a Lee FCD for 348. They used to be a standard item (when the Brownings came out) but don't know if that is still the case or not. Even if it is special order, get it anyway. It will save you a lot of crumpled cases. The geometry of the 348 case is suceptable to the forces of crimping with standard dies. At the very least, don't try to seat and crimp at the same time.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I love mine on hogs.

"That'll Be The Day"
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

You will never regret having a Winchester or Brownchester in .348. They don't get any better for a lever gun. I have 4 of them and would love more if if if if.........................!!!!! Like my byline say's M-71's forever !!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I once watched a guy shoot 2 wild hogs at once with a 1950's 71 and the factory 200 gr.
Silvertip load. He jerked the shot on the bigger (~150-175 lb) hog and hit it right in the middle,
broadside, farther back than was desirable. It just "corkscrewed" into the ground, with VERY
impressive bleeding from both entrance and exit wounds, and was DRT. The pass-through bullet went on to hit a ~60 lb hog in the neck, and it dropped straight down without taking a step.

Impressive, even given the poor shooting! Operating the action of that rifle was SLICK.
The cartridges fed in very easily, and it was really a treat to handle.

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

SJPrice...sent you a PM for Silvertip bullets.

RimFire McNut...PM me know if you want some new .348 factory ammo. I have 5-7 boxes I can part with.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I had a Browning 71 carbine, and sold it when following a relationship break up I had a need of a house full of furniture (even lawyers loose their shirt in relationship breakups). I have regretted parting with it ever since.

There is something magical about the ergonomics of this rifle, and in my opinion it represents the high point of the evolution of Browning's lever action design.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I absolutely LOVE my '36 Winchester 71 :D A thing of beauty, a true work of art.

I like jacketed 250's and 58grs of AA3100.

It also shoots very well with an RCBS 200gr (209grs) and 60grs of AA3100.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

2X22 wrote:I absolutely LOVE my '36 Winchester 71 :D A thing of beauty, a true work of art.
I couldn't agree more! How about posting a pic of your '36 piece of art??? What's your serial #? Off the top of my head, I think mine is 1127. IIRC, there are a couple of other 71s here here on the Forum from 1936. Sixgun? You there?

My 1936 Model 71 work of art is on the left:

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Don't you know you need a Magnum to hunt these days?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Hi SJ,

Just type "Winchester Model 71" into your favorite search engine and all sorts of informative articles will pop up. At least it did for me.

Good luck and welcome to the "71" club.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Thanks Yodar,

Actually I have been doing that for the last couple of hours and reading page after page of stories, articles and forum posts. Great way to spend a Sunday morning.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Hi SJ,

Here are some additional .348 Winchester references that I have in my collection of articles that you may find of interest:

1.) .348 Winchester Pet Loads by Ken Waters, July, 1976, Handloader Magazine.

2.) .348 Winchester Browning Model 71 Update With Slower Powders by Steve Gash, Handloader Magazine #214, Dec.-Jan., 2002.

3.) .348 Winchester-A Steamroller by Clayton Harvey, Handloader Magazine, Jan.-Feb., 1974.

4.) Using the .348 On Elk by Art Bevan, American Rifleman, Jan., 1974.

5.) The Winchester Moodel 71 by Rick Hacker, American Rifleman, April, 1991.

I will continue this listing in another posting. I get bumped off if I stay on too long. Whatever time that is.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Absolutely beautiful M-71's fellows.They are gun works of art. I have 3 Winchester. A '37,39' and a '52 model but I don't have the talent to post pics. My Browning is a '87 model. They are first and formost ,the #1 items of the 20 leverguns in my safe.
It would interesting to know how many M-71's are held by the members of the forum.................
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

One step closer to my starting a relationship with a 348 Winchester. Today I received 300 new pieces of Winchester brass for the 348. I also received a set of Redding dies. For a few seconds I was upset with myself that I had failed to order a shell holder until I tried my 45-70 shell holder and it worked just fine. I resized 50 cases in my Lee hand press. I was surprised to find how thick and tough the necks of these cases were. The brass seems pretty substantial when compared to other calibers. I primed the cases and they are waiting on the bullets I ordered which should be here in a day or so. I ordered some Hawk 200 grain and a few boxes of Hawk 165 grain bullets. I am planning on using the 165 grainers for plinking. I should have my Browning 71 High Grade Carbine by the end of the week and then the real fun will begin. Can anyone recommend a source for cast lead bullets for the 348. I know Cast Performance has lead cast 348's, but I am also told they are too long for the chamber throat of the Browning.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/348_Rifle.html

The RCBS 348-200 (comes out 210) always shot well in my Browning and original; much better than the Lyman 185gr.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Mine's a '50, and pretty much like new. I'm the second owner and the gun came with 400 rds ammo, 200 cases, 400 Hornady 200s, and all the reloading dies needed. It is a standard model with deluxe swivels and original sling. :D Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Mike D...a very nice package purchase! Beautiful rifle, too!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

It sounds like a great deal Mike. Does yours have the bolt peep or did you add a receiver sight?

I will check out the RCBS 348-200(s) and the Montana Bullet Works as well. My Hawk Bullet order came in the mail this afternoon as well. Pretty good service when you consider I ordered them by phone on Saturday. I am thinking of H4895 with WW cases and Winchester LR primers. H4895 is the only compatible powder on my shelf at the moment. I am looking for suggestions for other powders to try.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Hi SJ,

Here are a couple of sources of cast lead bullets for the .348:

1.) Mount Baldy Bullets, P.O. Box 835, Cody, WY 82414; phone (307) 754-5255; www.mtbaldybullets.com.
He has a nice 250grain gas checked flat point that has worked well in my '71 at moderate velocities, say around 1500 to 1600 fps.

2.) Glenhills Cast Bullets, P.O. Box 346, Glenwood City, WI 54013; e-mail: gutshot_again@yahoo.com. Vern Anderson is the man in charge. He makes a nice Lyman No. 350482 for the .348. It is a long, round nosed gas checked bullet of around 250 grains. Same comment as above. Don't try to push the cast bullets much over 1600 fps. The accuracy tends to fall off. The '71 is touchy about what it is fed. Gun writer Ken Waters found same. Nice for plinking.

If you want to duplicate the factory 250 grain load you had better go with the Barns Original 250 grain jacketed soft points if you can still find some. Be prepared for some stout recoil; particularly off the bench.

Good luck and let us know how she shoots.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Yodar wrote:Hi SJ,

Here are a couple of sources of cast lead bullets for the .348:

1.) Mount Baldy Bullets, P.O. Box 835, Cody, WY 82414; phone (307) 754-5255; http://www.mtbaldybullets.com.
He has a nice 250grain gas checked flat point that has worked well in my '71 at moderate velocities, say around 1500 to 1600 fps.

2.) Glenhills Cast Bullets, P.O. Box 346, Glenwood City, WI 54013; e-mail: gutshot_again@yahoo.com. Vern Anderson is the man in charge. He makes a nice Lyman No. 350482 for the .348. It is a long, round nosed gas checked bullet of around 250 grains. Same comment as above. Don't try to push the cast bullets much over 1600 fps. The accuracy tends to fall off. The '71 is touchy about what it is fed. Gun writer Ken Waters found same. Nice for plinking.

If you want to duplicate the factory 250 grain load you had better go with the Barns Original 250 grain jacketed soft points if you can still find some. Be prepared for some stout recoil; particularly off the bench.

Good luck and let us know how she shoots.
Mount baldy bullet works fine in Winchester 71, too long inmy experience for Browning 71 in my experience. Barnes Original 250gr bullets still available in my neck of woods but very pricey $80/50.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Does anyone have any experience with the Hawk 165 grain 348 Winchester bullets? I ordered a few boxes to use for plinking, but now I am thinking maybe they would be great for coyotes and feral dogs. If I understand the Hawk bullets correctly they are made with soft lead and soft copper jackets to insure fast expansion. It would appear that they can be easily driven to 2600 or 2700 fps and would be very flat out past 250 yards with a 200 yard zero. All this is just my thoughts at this point and I am having a hard time finding load data for the 165's. Any thoughts, advise and or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
19112TAP
Levergunner

Post by 19112TAP »

I have the Browning model 71 carbine and have used it the last two deer seasons and harvested to large bucks using tha Hornady 200 gr and both deer were hit hard and went less than 20 yds. I did purchase a used NEI 225gr GC mould and will be trying it next year. You will love the 71.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

SJPrice wrote:It sounds like a great deal Mike. Does yours have the bolt peep or did you add a receiver sight?

I will check out the RCBS 348-200(s) and the Montana Bullet Works as well. My Hawk Bullet order came in the mail this afternoon as well. Pretty good service when you consider I ordered them by phone on Saturday. I am thinking of H4895 with WW cases and Winchester LR primers. H4895 is the only compatible powder on my shelf at the moment. I am looking for suggestions for other powders to try.
My Model 71 came from the factory with a Lyman No 56 receiver sight. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

SJPrice wrote: I know Cast Performance has lead cast 348's, but I am also told they are too long for the chamber throat of the Browning.
Browning M71 throats are very short but you can seat most any style bullet using a Lee FCD. I have couple of moulds in this calibre and both designs foul on the rifling if loaded to the crimp groove. The Lee FCD allows me to seat these pills so that they are a very close fit and accuracy is great.

For powder I use AR2209 which is sold in the US as H-4350. Its very accurate with cast and jacketed and turns in good velocity without high pressure.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

JFE wrote:
SJPrice wrote: I know Cast Performance has lead cast 348's, but I am also told they are too long for the chamber throat of the Browning.
Browning M71 throats are very short but you can seat most any style bullet using a Lee FCD. I have couple of moulds in this calibre and both designs foul on the rifling if loaded to the crimp groove. The Lee FCD allows me to seat these pills so that they are a very close fit and accuracy is great.

For powder I use AR2209 which is sold in the US as H-4350. Its very accurate with cast and jacketed and turns in good velocity without high pressure.
So what overall length do your rounds end up at. You crimp ahead of the driving band, at the base of the truncated part of the cast bullet? What powder weight range for 250gr cast bullet with your H4350 equivalent powder? Thanks.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Big Bear,

I had Clymer Manufacturing make me a throating reamer for the .348 and then had a competent gunsmith lengthen the throat on my '71 and on the Ruger No.1 I had made into a .348. Worked great. I can load any bullet I want and have no problems. That Lyman #350482 bullet may required a lengthened throat to chamber properly in the Browning.

The reamer cost $83.50 in 2006. Worth it.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

big bear wrote: So what overall length do your rounds end up at. You crimp ahead of the driving band, at the base of the truncated part of the cast bullet? What powder weight range for 250gr cast bullet with your H4350 equivalent powder? Thanks.
With the cast pills I actually crimp onto the front drive band and this works out to an OAL of 2.77" with the bullets I use. This is just short of the rifling in my rifle and it cycles these loads without problem. I use cast bullets made using CBE moulds - these brass moulds are made in Oz and the ones I have cast pills weighing 232 and 274gr with the alloy I use. A charge of 52.0 gr AR2209 (H-4350) behind the heavier cast pill develops around 2150 fps. Another load I used to use a lot was 47gr of IMR4064 behind the same bullet for about the same velocity. Accuracy was better with IMR4064, but this powder is no longer available here.

With jacketed I run 57.0gr of AR2209 (H-4350) behind Barnes 250gr FN pills for around 2300 fps and excellent accuracy (OAL = 2.78"). This pill clears the rifling in my B-71 when crimped into the cannelure.

FWIW I've made a throat impression of my Browning and it essentially has no throat at all. You could open up the throat as suggested, but if this is not done correctly you could have accuracy problems. Its no big deal to use Lee's FCD and they are still available and inexpensive.

Usual caveats apply when using loading info on the internet.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Thanks alot! I'm going to load some up this weekend and try them out.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Well, the journey begins. Last evening I picked up my new (to me) Browning 71 High Grade Carbine in 348 Winchester. It was exactly as advertised, excellent condition and "as new in the box." In fact it came in the original box and it appears to have never been fired, yet. It was late when I got home so I did not get to thoroughly examine it until this morning. It has beautiful highly grained walnut for the stock and the color of the forearm is a great match although not quite as highly figured. One of the most pleasant surprises was to find that this carbine is factory drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. My Browning 1886 SRC and Rifle, both High Grades as well, are not set up for receiver sights. My first chore, after cleaning the bore and exterior was to install a Williams receiver sight that I had on hand, remove the rear sight, install a Marbles dovetail slot filler and remove the hood over the front ramp and bead. I bore sighted the receiver sight, using my Laserlyte bore sight and then headed out to try a few rounds. I had loaded 20 rounds of 348 WW brass with WW LR primers, 52 grains of H-4895 and 200 grain Hawk JFP bullets. I am guesstimating the velocity of just over 2,400 fps. I set up a target at 25 yards and it took 4 rounds to get my sight adjusted to hit 1/2 inch high at 25 yards. I then backed off to fifty yards to try a a few three shot groups. All of my shots were a little over 1 1/2 inch high and slightly right of center. My best three shot group was a neat cluster that I was able to cover with a quarter. I will try to snap and post a few pictures tomorrow. I think this may end up being my new favorite saddle gun and woods walking companion. I am really impressed with the 348 Winchester. I have been studying ballistics and it looks like it shoots mighty flat out to 225 yards with a 180 yard zero and should work great for deer, hogs, coyotes, feral dogs etc. One other side observation. I have always preferred the look of a straight grip and a full length magazine tube on a lever action. I have to say that the pistol grip on the 71 is very comfortable to shoot and the balance of this carbine is quick and lively. Thanks again to all who added their knowledge to this topic for me.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

SJPrice wrote: I am really impressed with the 348 Winchester. I have been studying ballistics and it looks like it shoots mighty flat out to 225 yards with a 180 yard zero and should work great for deer, hogs, coyotes, feral dogs etc.
Sounds like a beauty! Do we get to see a photo?

Last summer I took mine out with my son to do some shooting. Had it sighted in with 200's @2500fps some 2" high @ 100 yards. My son was doing some 200 yard shooting with his 270WSM and not doing to bad. Finally I had enough and sat down and squeezed off 3 rounds. Didn't quite equal his 270 in accuracy but we were both pretty impressed. A 3 1/4" group that was centered about 3" low. I was happy :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Yes Sir, I think she is a beauty. I will get pictures posted tomorrow if my schedule goes as planned for the day. Just got back from feeding horses and cattle. I carried it along just in case a coyote was hanging around. No such luck. Maybe tomorrow.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Leverluver wrote:Do yourself a favor and pick up a Lee FCD for 348. They used to be a standard item (when the Brownings came out) but don't know if that is still the case or not. Even if it is special order, get it anyway. It will save you a lot of crumpled cases. The geometry of the 348 case is suceptable to the forces of crimping with standard dies. At the very least, don't try to seat and crimp at the same time.
The above needs repeating.

For me, IMR 4350 is the 348 Winchester Powder. I use Hornady 200 grain bullets as my general purpose bullet and mix in 200 and 220 grain Barnes X-Bullets when considering something really serious. I will be buying a bunch of Hawk's 180 grain bullets for light stuff like deer and antelope. I actually like the cartridge more than the M71 rifle. To me the rifle is made very well and is a pure hunting machine, but it's heavy and cumbersome and requires a very long lever throw to make everything work (I like Marlin lever actions more). I will eventually barrel a NEF single-shot in 348 Winchester and will likely use the cartridge more as a result. I also hope to eventually cut the barrel of my M71 back to 20" and mount a "scout" scope set up on it. It should make it a bit handier and more user friendly to the half blind feeble old wimp.

Have fun with that M71 carbine and neat 348 Winchester cartridge. They can be a fine combination.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

So what's your load for Hornady bullets? I was talking to my gunsmith today and he said he had a box of recent production Winchester 348 ammo and the brass was not up to spec.The rim thickness was 0.62, not 0.70. I haven't bought any 348 factory ammo for a few years now. Anybody got a recent purchase box they could check? Just curious.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

It's great to have another 71 devotee. Congrats SJPrice on an very nice rifle.

I've owned and shot quite a few, both originals and Brownings. My experience is that the Brownings will shoot a bit tighter groups that the originals, at least out of the several I had. In fact, the three originals I spent a lot of time with were actually pretty finicky and hard to get under 4" at 100 yds. The Brownings will get to 2 ~ 2-1/2" without too much fuss.

I am down to one now - a '39 deluxe with bolt peep. I shot hundreds of rounds through it this summer getting ready for a Utah elk hunt. It shot factory Winchester into about 4", and Buffalo Bore 250s wouldn't do better than about 5" and frequently went over 6". I had to go to handloads to get satisfactory results.

The load I settled on was 60.0 gr RL-19 under a Barnes-O 250 gr. That rifle shoots like a dream with that load, with consistent 2" at 100 yds and a few 1-1/2" groups, which is the best the rifle has ever done.

Unfortrunately the story ends with me killing my elk with a scoped 30-06 bolt gun :roll:

Anyway, the 71 is a great rifle and anyone fortunate enough to own and shoot one is lucky indeed.
Chad
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I STRONGLY recommend bullet casting..or at least the purchase of cast bullets for the .348.
We're not talking about a rifle/caliber combo you get into to shoot 1 hole groups.
Work up a VERY pleasant moderate power load and really enjoy shooting the thing. Once you get the load dialed in for your rifle....get it off the darn bench and learn to shoot it from a variety of "field positions"..including the dreaded offhand. Be a Rifleman...!!!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Thanks 71fan. I am truly enjoying my Browning 71 and the 348 Winchester cartridge. I have close to 200 rounds through it in just a few days now. A few of them have even been from the "dreaded offhand" position :roll:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

guido4198 wrote:I STRONGLY recommend bullet casting..or at least the purchase of cast bullets for the .348.
We're not talking about a rifle/caliber combo you get into to shoot 1 hole groups.
Work up a VERY pleasant moderate power load and really enjoy shooting the thing.
+1. I couldn't agree more!

2x22
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Just got back from a great ride and took the opportunity snap a couple of pictures of my new (to me) Browning 71. It rides great in the scabbard and looks great (my opinion) out of the scabbard. And as I stated in an earlier post it shoots great as well.

Thanks again for all the great information shared here.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

SJP,
Cograts on a beautiful rifle.You have just started a life long love affair with
the M-71/348 combo. I don't think it gets any better than that for a lever gun.The more you shoot it ,the more you will come to respect what a worthy rifle/combo it is. :wink:
My favorite load for my M-71's is:
200gr Hornady
58.5gr -IMR 4350
CCI-LR Mag
Winchester Case
This load shoots pretty good in all 3 guns however,it shoots best in the 1939 long tang model.This load will shoot right at 3" or less at 100 Yds IF I do my part.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

2X22 wrote:
guido4198 wrote:I STRONGLY recommend bullet casting..or at least the purchase of cast bullets for the .348.
Work up a VERY pleasant moderate power load and really enjoy shooting the thing.
+1. I couldn't agree more!

2x22
And turn it into a 35 Remington?
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I had some fun yesterday. I am trying to work up a "flat shooting load for coyote and feral dogs using some 165 grain Hawk bullets. Several boxes of 165's and one box of 200 grain bullets were all Hawk had available last week. I decided that would be a good use for the 165's. Anyway I settled on 55 grains of Reloader 15. I am guessing that I am right at 2600 fps. With this load I had a 3 shot group at 50 yards you could cover with a dime, and a fourth shot that made me use a quarter. I think the fourth was my fault, not the load or the rifle. This was from my usual load testing position of my back against a tree and my forehand resting on my knee. Recoil was fairly mild and if I am right about the velocity I should be able to hold pretty near to dead on out to 200 yards. I would imagine the 165 grain Hawks will work just fine on a big coyote. The more I read and play with the 348, the more I like it.

Steve
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I received 3 boxes of Grizzly Cartridge 348 Winchesters yesterday loaded with 200 Grain bonded core bullets. The box claims a velocity of 2700 fps which seems aggressive for 200 grain loads. Does anyone here have experience with the 200 grain Grizzly ammo? I would like to know if they chronograph as advertised. I would even be interested in information regarding any of the Grizzly loads as to how they match the advertised velocity and what about any pressure problems. Thanks.