Colt Clonish 45 LC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Colt Clonish 45 LC

Post by Old Savage »

I have been looking for a while for a Colt clone 45 - inspired by Paco's stories and J Miller's old 45. I recently found a Pietta made Rough Rider sold by Heritage Arms. It is not a true clone due to a transfer bar system but it is priced right and mildly appearance challenged. It locks up very tight with no play. It has a 5 1/2" barrel and a plum colored frame. Price was right and I wanted something I wouldn't be too concerned about. Anyone have one of these. How do you like it or other clones?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Colt Clonish 45 LC

Post by J Miller »

OS,

I have to admit the only experience I have is with the old Iver Johnson's imported Uberti Cattleman single actions. I've seen the Pietta Rough Riders only in pictures.

So I'll just say .......... ummm, "what, no pics" :wink: :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Good luck
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe this one doesn't look like what is currently pictured. I think I will go check the chambers before I DROS it. Thanks.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Just to be on the safe side, I would use cowboy-action level cartridges in it, if it were mine. jd45
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jd45 wrote:Just to be on the safe side, I would use cowboy-action level cartridges in it, if it were mine. jd45
[RANT MODE ON]I find these comments about "cowboy" level loads to be very, very funny. Just what are "cowboy" level loads? But, I finally found a caliber where that may have some merit.

Winchester "cowboy" load: USA45CB = 760fps, 250 grain
Winchester standard load: X45CP2 = 850fps, 255 grain

But if one looks at the .38 Special, which is used almost 3:1 in actual cowboy matches:

Winchester "cowboy" load: USA38CB = 800fps, 158 grain lead
Winchester standard load: X38S1P = 755fps, 158 grain lead

Neither Remington nor Federal offer a "cowboy" load, just a standard velocity .38 Spl. lead with 158 grains at 750 fps and 755 fps respectively.

"Cowboy" loads are NOT about pressure, they are however, IMO, about reduced recoil and increased sales to what is often referred to as the "FASTEST" growing segment of the shooting sports! It's pretty well documented that cowboy action shooting enjoys the most growth in previously non-shooters of any of the shooting sports. That, in and of itself should be considered a "good" thing by the rest of the shooting community; not denigration or snide remarks. ANYTHING that increases the ranks of shooters and therefore, 2nd Amendment supporters, should be met with rejoicing and hallelujahs.
[RANT MODE OFF]

Yes, I admit, this is a sensitive subject to me. Not directed at any ONE person in particular, but having heard this from numerous sources, some time ago I decided I wouldn't be quiet and complacent. Okay, maybe overly sensitive... but having spent five full years of almost the equivalent of full-time work to start and grow this sport in my adopted state of Texas, I will beg the forgiveness of the Forum for my tirade and try to curtail my anger.

But, OS, yes, with the exception of Ruger BH or NMBH, Vaquero or Virginian Dragoons, it's probably best to stick to Colt loadings. Don't go usin' "+P" loads.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rest easy Griff - I am also buying a FA 454 and that will likely only see 45 Colt level loads. I just thought I should have an example of what folks say is the best ever made. No real lover of handgun power here. Me and Dirty Harry would prefer to shoot light specials in our 44s. Mine chronied 850 out of my 5 1/2" SBH and only 987 from my B92.

Also, I appreciate the info you provided and you are welcome, even invited, to rant on any of my threads.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jd45, pay attention son ......

Any and all revolvers, lever guns, pump actions, and single shots chambered for the .45 Colt will be SAAMI compliant and them some.
I don't know where this idea of using cowboy loads came from but put it out of your mind. It is just plain bogus fiction. European made guns all have to pass CIP proof loads just like American made guns have to pass SAAMI proof loads. And the CIP pressures are higher than SAAMI.
The Pietta Rough Rider OS mentioned will be just fine with standard Colt level loads. There is NO need to baby it with the cowboy squib loads.

If the Italian made guns were that week, I would have blown IJ up already. Ain't gonna happen.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Advertising & Profit is the key to the boxes labeled "Cowboy"...
If the same load was in a standard box there just would not be the sales.
Print Cowboy on any box today and the average shooter reaches for it.
Ever heard P.T Barnams classic statement... "There´s a sucker born every minute".
So on the origonal topic.. Me if possible I would check throat diameter and lockup. If it passes those simple tests and I like the looks of it and it feels right in my hand.. it gets bought.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

At the risk of further moving this thread in another direction, I always went by the SASS spec. for cowboy loads:

"The minimum standard for center-fire smokeless ammunition used in all SASS matches
State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not less
than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps. The maximum
velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400
fps. Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and
velocity requirements.
Power factors are simply calculated by multiplying the bullet weight times the velocity
and then the resulting number is divided by 1000. Some examples are as follows:
100 gr bullet traveling at 600 fps has a power factor of 60: (100x600)/1000=60.00
77 gr bullet traveling at 800 fps has a power factor of 61.6 (77x800)/1000=61.60
200 gr bullet traveling at 400 fps has a power factor of 80 (200x400)/1000=80.00"
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

It appears to me that these 'cowboy loads' are uncannily similar to the various 'cat loads' (read small game/garden pest) I've been making for years. Who'da thunk there'd ever be a commercial market for such a thing ;)

The various SAAMI .45 Colt loads using W231 powder have proved particularly accurate for me & a 250/255 RNFP or SWC trundling along at 850 fps will kill all the game you'll ever want to drag & cut up.

Regarding the original question, you might find this interesting: http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/pdf/rr.html

While I love Colts, I sure don't mind a transfer bar on a using gun. I have an affinity for the Beretta Stampede, but haven't tried one yet.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Went down to the shop where the 45 LC is on hold for the DROS process. Cleaned it, measured the cylinder mouths (all seemed to be about .4525" and shot it - lock up very tight and it shoots about to point of aim with the range reloads. Six shots in less than 2" at 7 1/2 yds with the center four under and inch and the others less than one inch off where the sights said they would be. I am happy enough with the way this SA shoots. I think with careful shooting they could all be in that center group.

Is not quite as accurate with 44 Specials. Now on the first go round one of the fellows handed me six reloads from a bag he just opened. With arms full of the gun, target, glasses, ammo, and the contraption to suspend the target. I went downstairs to the range and loaded the cylinder with six, shot the target. The bulges were a real give away - 44 Specials. Some key holed but still reasonably accurate.

The shots in the top of the orange and by the bottom 5 are 45 Colts. The ones in the bottom of the orange and the head are 44 Spl. Goes to show that you can't be too careful.

sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

I did not know you could shoot 44 spl. out of a 45 colt. Is this a safe practice?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I did not intend to and won't intentionally again. It bulged the brass. .027" of an inch to .480. Certainly more happens in many fireforming operations.

samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Old savage i just burst out laughing at your discription as you headed down to the range, armed with 44 specials and a 45. I have a pietta without the transfer bar and a stampede with. I have had timing issues with the pietta and the stampede has functioned flawlessly. I think the modern transfer bar iis a little more robust then the old 4 click action. As an aside you cracked me up at thirty some thousand feet in the back of a Delta airplane with complimentry wireless.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

samb, not the mile high club I was looking to be in but glad you got chuckle. We certainly did at the Gun Shop as we looked the first cases over.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Interesting OS - I didn't know that Pietta had made a transfer bar single action. I must admit that the new Great Western pistols by Pietta are rather nice looking to my eye (been eyeing an "Alchemista" for some time now). Post a picture when you get a chance please!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Apparently Heritage buys the parts from Pietta and assembles them. This seems very well fitted.

Ter
Levergunner

Post by Ter »

Old Savage wrote:I have been looking for a while for a Colt clone 45 - inspired by Paco's stories and J Miller's old 45. I recently found a Pietta made Rough Rider sold by Heritage Arms. It is not a true clone due to a transfer bar system but it is priced right and mildly appearance challenged. It locks up very tight with no play. It has a 5 1/2" barrel and a plum colored frame. Price was right and I wanted something I wouldn't be too concerned about. Anyone have one of these. How do you like it or other clones?
I own 3 in .45Colt. The first one was the blued model with 4 3/4" barrel. After shooting it I was so impressed that I had order a case hardened with 5 1/2 barrel. Then that lead to a nickel with a 7 1/2" barrel. I like them better than my Cimarron/Ubertis I still own or the Rugers I no longer own.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi OS -

I have a bunch of Uberti SAA's, and really like all of them. I do have a stainless Rough Rider in .45 Colt with a 4 & 3/4 inch barrel. It's the one I posted pictures on last year where I put on a set of white polymer grips. I had some initial problems with it, but sent it to Heritage Arms and that straightened it out right away. It's a fun gun to shoot! :D
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'm not real sure why we have pictures of nubile young lasses in a thread about 45 Colt clones; but then again, I'm not complaining.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

They sure have nice teeth. :roll: :roll:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well the ladies were on the last trip at 30,000 ft as per samb's reference.

Y Guy - I have an 1860 from Pietta and like their work.

Ter, glad to hear your report. I ordered some new grip screws from Heritage to replace some dinged up ones. I like this gun. Looking at one of their holsters.

On this one - locks up tight, shoots to point of aim and groups well and not at all prissy. I think I will be getting some more SAAs this year - four more planned, five counting this one.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OS; When can we expect to see the good looking ladies displaying you new clone? :D 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

3leg - I'll check on the rules but probably 30 days after Dec 11 according to the rules for DROS ing pistols. :D Maybe I can arrange something sooner - the plum colored frame should be a hit. :wink:

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Old Savage wrote:3leg - I'll check on the rules but probably 30 days after Dec 11 according to the rules for DROS ing pistols. :D Maybe I can arrange something sooner - the plum colored frame should be a hit. :wink:
Yeah ya got sumthin to tide me and Leverguns Forums over till then? :D :D Todd PS Ya always up so late?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Until then, these guys have it, what do you think, are they puttin' the band back together?

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Give'em 5-10 years till their beards grow out.Then they'll be "In In Like Flint" :D :lol:

Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

EMF Company in Santa Ana CA, offers some positively beautiful color case-hardened Piettas in EMF's Great Western line. The Californian is an 1873 clone, while the 'Pony Express' model has the old Colt Lightning style grip.

I sure don't miss having to endure that DROS foolishness!
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nate I was just looking at those. I am impressed with Pietta revolvers and looking forward to picking up the one I describe. Thanks for the info.