hot blueing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

hot blueing

Post by gary rice »

can someone point me to an article i think i saw on this site a while back about hot blueing, maybe it was salvo who posted it.
g rice
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Gary,

I don't remember one here, but then I could have missed it. But here is fairly in depth post about hot bluing on The Ruger Forum:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13109

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

thanks much joe, im trying to decide if i want to take this task on.
J Miller wrote:Gary,

I don't remember one here, but then I could have missed it. But here is fairly in depth post about hot bluing on The Ruger Forum:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13109

Joe
g rice
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Gary,

I've thought about setting up a small bluing tank for little gun stuff. But after reading that article I think I'll pass. I really don't have enough stuff to blue to make it worth while.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Do all kinds of bluing here in the shop, the best advice I have is Farm It out... If I didn't have to do the bluing I wouldn't. Salts are nasty, creep out on to the floor, will eat up concrete, wood etc...and thats when they are cold. When hot...thats a diffrent story, imagine 280+ degree concentrated caustic lye. Get a splatter on you and you'll know about it for a couple of weeks, nothing like a lye burn.

But if you decide to do it ...well have fun.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

that settle that, i'll pass. i knew it was a crazy idea anyway.
Mike Hunter wrote:Do all kinds of bluing here in the shop, the best advice I have is Farm It out... If I didn't have to do the bluing I wouldn't. Salts are nasty, creep out on to the floor, will eat up concrete, wood etc...and thats when they are cold. When hot...thats a diffrent story, imagine 280+ degree concentrated caustic lye. Get a splatter on you and you'll know about it for a couple of weeks, nothing like a lye burn.

But if you decide to do it ...well have fun.
g rice
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

We keep a gallon of vinegar for the splashes followed by soap and water. Knocks the burn right out. They also sell a neutralizer for the salts from Brownells. I have used the vinegar to clean out the creeping salts, but if left on a blued surface it will remove the blue, make sure to rinse and oil after you use it. Abilene
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're considering bluing, then you might consider rust bluing, not hot bluing. It's something an average guy could set up for, and not end up building a special room or building, and expend great amounts of cash for materials, tanks, and tools!
Of course then there's the learning process, and it's time consuming too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

how does it work?
marlinman93 wrote:If you're considering bluing, then you might consider rust bluing, not hot bluing. It's something an average guy could set up for, and not end up building a special room or building, and expend great amounts of cash for materials, tanks, and tools!
Of course then there's the learning process, and it's time consuming too!
g rice