OT--favorite loads, 375 H&H

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--favorite loads, 375 H&H

Post by getitdone1 »

Been thru all my reload books trying to determine best powder for 375 H&H. Appears IMR 4350 if you want high velocity. (That is of the powders I have in stock) Have no idea about the best accuracy combo of bullet and powder.

For cheap shooting perhaps the Speer 235 gr bullet or Hornady 270 gr.

For dangerous game suppose Speer 285 grand slam or maybe 300 gr Hornady. Can't foresee a need for FMJ/solids except to test for extreme penetration.

Wonder who on the internet has good selection of bullets and brass. Midway was out of about half of what I wanted. Have some things backordered from them.

Don McCullough
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doug,
I just checked and I have 2 boxes of handloaded (by me--once fired brass) 375 H&H ammo. They are both loaded with the Hornady 270 gr. with 80 gr. of IMR-4350. I also have 40 Hornady heads in 270 gr and 42 Speer heads in 235 gr. These were loaded in the nineties for my Dad who had a Remington 700. After shooting a few rounds, he sold the rifle :D If you are interested, I will sell the 2 boxes and all of the heads for $65 with shipping included. PM if interested-------------Sixgun
Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I have had very good luck with the RL series of powders. My favorite .375 H&H load is in your other thread on the .375. RL powders have been the most accurate I have tried in at least 4 different rifles/calibers that I shoot including: .375 H&H, .375 Win., .444 Marlin, and 45-70.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My most accurate load is the Hornady 300 gr. RN with 77.0 grains of Win.748. It shoots right at 2500 fps and will clover leaf at 100 yds. Another good one is the Sierra 300 gr. with the same powder/charge. I tried all the lighter bullets and none of them shot worth diddley in my rifle. The lightest I can go is the Speer 285 gr. Grand Slam. They shoot about as well as the 300 Sierras.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Don, I have a hard time recommending the Hornady 300 boat tail bullet. Its tip is so soft, that it deforms under recoil within 1-2 shots. For game such as deer, the Hornady bullet would probably work fine, but I would not use it for heavier skinned animals. For those appications I would recommend the Woodleigh or Barnes bullets. They hold together much better for that application. Really and truly, the best thing to do is conduct your own penetration tests with 375 bullets at different ranges into wet or dry newsprint before you take the load hunting. This is what Mic McPherson advises in his "Metallic Cartridge Reloading-3rd Ed". If you don't own this manual, its a must read. His 4th edition is due to be out in the fall of 2008 so far. We shall see.

Hope this helps. You can't go wrong with the Woodleigh bullets on any game here in the continental U.S. IMHO. The protected point bullets are a very good choice in that caliber, I think.

-Tutt
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

.375 H&H

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy Pard!

When I got my mauser, I started out shooting Winny PP's in 270 gr. weight. No complaints, the ammo was terrific. Nailed everything with one shot & the bullets never came apart-perfect mushrooms from antelope thru elk.

My two main loads with jacketed bullets:

84 grs H4350 in Winny cases, CCI-250 mag. primer, Sierra 300 gr. BT. Goes about 2620-2650fps.

78 grs. W760, same cases, primer & bullet for about 2600fps. in my rifle.

Have used these two loads for 28 yrs. When I needed cases I bought 100 rnds. of Winchester 270 grs. power points & just let it go at that. Haven't shot up the last batch I bought in 1983.

Finally: For almost all of my hunting & shooting with the .375, I use a cast load, even for Elk (close in).

Best of luck to you & your hunting success. Believe me, the .375 is addictive. It's a real rush having that much power between your hands.

LeverBob
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

LeverBob,

I thinkyou're right in saying it's fun to have that much power between your hands. Ha! even pounding on your shoulder !

Of course the history/fame of the cartridge helps too.

Don McCullough
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have owned three in that cal Ruger , Sako and an custom Jaejer of Jenkintown rifle ALL liked 4350 quite well all shot the 235 Speer very well but I had trouble with the Ruger #1 with it
I do not recal the specific loads right now since its been at least 6 years since I had one in 375 H&H
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
mike454
Levergunner

Post by mike454 »

If you can find them the winchester failsafes were a very good dangerous game bullet. I used one on brown bear last year and it opened a good sized hole corner to corner on the bear. The other fellow on the hunt used Woodleigh bullets in a 375 ulltramag and at those speeds It looked like they overexpanded. The guide swore by 300gr nosler partitions in his H&H.
WHELENATOR
Levergunner

375 H&H Loads

Post by WHELENATOR »

I run 270 Grain Barnes TSX's in mine in front of 75 grains of 4320. don't have a clue how fast they are, but they shoot an inch. I got the load from a friend of mine that hunted Alaska extensively with his A-bolt loaded with that and killed a few respectable animals with it. Brown bears included. So far, I haven't killed anything with that rifle, so I am still waiting.
lever actions are the original assault rifle!