Rossi 92 screw holes under rear sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 screw holes under rear sight

Post by Newtmaker »

I had to remove the rear buckhorn sight on my 92 so the Marbles Tang Sight would work better. Discovered the 4 screw holes. What are they used for?

Walt
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 92 screw holes under rear sight

Post by AJMD429 »

They're used for the Rossi 'scout' scope mount.

The problem is, according to no less than FIVE local 'gun stores', "they don't make them", and "you can't get them". :evil: :evil: :evil:

I know better, but haven't been able to snag one. Yet, anyway...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Newtmaker wrote:I had to remove the rear buckhorn sight on my 92 so the Marbles Tang Sight would work better. Discovered the 4 screw holes. What are they used for?

Walt
You can fit a T/C scope mount on ,I tried to get a Rossi one no luck :cry: But the T/C screw spacing is the same had to mill it down for the barrel taper on the little carbine is much slimer.
It looks ugly but a great tool just to see how well it shoots with a 6x long er scope on it, good for building loads for the gun.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

What thread size are the screw holes? Do the screws that come with the TC mount work?

Walt
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

AJMD429 wrote:They're used for the Rossi 'scout' scope mount.

The problem is, according to no less than FIVE local 'gun stores', "they don't make them", and "you can't get them". :evil: :evil: :evil:

I know better, but haven't been able to snag one. Yet, anyway...
The Rossi mount is simple to get. Call Rossi Customer Service @ 305-474-0401-1 and order one.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

K, thanks
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

OK, I went to Gander Mtn and got the Weaver base for the T?C Encore. Cut about 3/4 " off the back and removed some metal from the bottom, tapered toward the front (the round bottom that rests against the barrel.). It fits good, looks a little more level than it did at first, and the screws fit. Attached the red dot finder and it looks like it might work. Will take it to the range in the AM as soon as I vote!!!!
The finder makes for a very high eye point, so I am not liking that for now :(
I'll let everyone know what happens.

Walt
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:The Rossi mount is simple to get. Call Rossi Customer Service @ 305-474-0401-1 and order one.
I guess, well, I suppose, maybe, I could try that... :oops: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

AJMD429 wrote:
COSteve wrote:The Rossi mount is simple to get. Call Rossi Customer Service @ 305-474-0401-1 and order one.
I guess, well, I suppose, maybe, I could try that... :oops: :roll:
Yep, me too 8) It would be nice to know that they have a CS that cares and is responsive.

Anyway, I just discovered that I have an unused scope lying around that will fit the new mount I made for the 92. It is/was designed for use on a pistol as it has extra long eye relief. So,when attached to the scope rail the eye point is perfect and the image is sharp and clear.
The rear of the scope does overhang the ejection port, but I usually lever the action slowly and place my left hand over the port to catch the cartridge in my hand. Looking forward to tomorrow even more so now!!!

Walt

PS. Thanks to those who provided the info/links on this approach!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

That Rossi Customer Service number is to the Braztech group and maybe they are better than the Taurus/Rossi group.
Steve
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

COSteve wrote:That Rossi Customer Service number is to the Braztech group and maybe they are better than the Taurus/Rossi group.
Just called them with an order. They were very nice, prompt, and had them in stock. It is on it's way!
Thanks all for the good info!!

Walt
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My Rossi doesn't have any screw holes on top of the bbl (or anywhere :D ). Perhaps mine is an older one mfg. before scout scope mount holes drilled & tapped?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Newtmaker wrote:OK, I went to Gander Mtn and got the Weaver base for the T?C Encore. Cut about 3/4 " off the back and removed some metal from the bottom, tapered toward the front (the round bottom that rests against the barrel.). It fits good, looks a little more level than it did at first, and the screws fit. Attached the red dot finder and it looks like it might work. Will take it to the range in the AM as soon as I vote!!!!
The finder makes for a very high eye point, so I am not liking that for now :(
I'll let everyone know what happens.

Walt
OK, the adapted Weaver base doesn't work. My initial attempts to sight it in were futil as the scope ran out of adjustment range before I could get it on target. Since I have the Rossi base on order I will just wait for it before I make any more attempts. In the meantime, the gun shot very well with the Marbles Tang sight. I put a smal peep on it and was able to shoot many groups under 1" at 25 meters. Shot some clays out at 50 meters and hit every one on the first shot. I'm happy!

Walt
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I hope they sent you the P892 mount, when I ordered mine the girl was going to send P801 which has the same hole spacing but is not tapered. I had to insist on the P892 and it works fine. The other mount is for all their single shots and is the same as the contender mount.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Yep. I gave him the right number and he confirmed that it was the correct one to use. Should be here late this week or early next.

Walt