.357/.38 Turkey loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

.357/.38 Turkey loads

Post by kmittleman »

Hey everyone,

I got a new H&R single shot in .357 and would like to hunt Turkey with it on Tuesday. I was thinking some 148gr wadcutters would be good. Anyone have any experience with this? Any other suggestions?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .357/.38 Turkey loads

Post by Rusty »

Hey "K" man I went to school in Ellicott City back in the early 70's.

I'd stick with something with a little more velocity. Those 148 grain full wadcutters have been known to start to tumble at longer ranges. Any thing past 50 yards could be questionable.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I would think they would work as far as they are accurate.I would also think any 35 cal
hole maker could kill a turkey.With a pistol this could be real fun,or a rifle,or a shotgun,or
what ever!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I just started shooting 148g DEWC a month ago. My Rossi doesn't like them at all, but the Ruger BH really does, as long as the loads are not too hot.
I shot some light Trail Boss loads yesterday that grouped inside 1.5" at 25 meters. I used 4.4g of trail Boss in 357 brass and they shot real nice.
Our range has silohette shooting once a month and the turkeys are at 80 meters. They are about half life size and are hitable at that distance, but you have to be patient, even when they are made of steel!!

Walt
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Somewhere I have an old article on .357 rifle loads and that author recommended using. 9mm fmj on turkeys to minimize meat damage. I will post the loads if I can locate the article.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/