OT: Button buck taken with bow.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Button buck taken with bow.

Post by bigbore442001 »

I arose this morning to the din of some dimwit musician pretending that he can play an instrument. Quickly I shut the infernal machine off and arise from the bed. I turned on the kettle and waited for it to come to boil for my daily infusion of sencha green tea. Without it I am an utter bear to be around. After the warm astringent liquid revives me I dress and gather my things for the morning hunt.

I leave and head northward in the predawn darkness to my stand. This stand I have set up is east of a dirt road that runs north and south at a relatively flat hill top area. I have seen and shot at deer in this area so there is a history of use. I arrive at the spot and begin to walk down the road. As I pass a slight bend in the road I begin to search for my little path to my stand. The woodlands are rather crunchy with all of the fallen leaves. Most of the deciduous trees have their leaves of brown on since the colors of autumn are past peak. Some smaller trees and shrubs are the exception but for the most part the woodlands are ready for the fifth season as I call it. It is a season of gray. When trees are bare and the snow has not arrived. I could feel the cold wind from the west bear the brunt of it's force on me as I walked towards my destination. The predawn woodlands were dark and my red LED headlamp did it's best to illuminate the darkness. As I approached my stand I heard a crash. Then the unmistakable sound of hooves beating the forest floor. Sure enough I spooked a deer in the darkness near my treestand. I was a bit dejected but I figured that maybe it would be wise to sit for a while anyways.

I climbed the pole ladder attached to the familiar long leaf pine that has been my stand for a number of years. I pulled up my bow and day pack with all of the necessities and begin to sit. As I sat I contemplated many things and watched the beauty of nature that surrounds me. Birds flitting to and fro. Red squirrels running and chattering. Off in the distance I hear the echoes of shotguns as hunters pursue pheasants. As I was drinking in this spectacle of life I heard some movement between me and the dirt road. I look and soon see the familiar outline of a deer. I freeze and watch carefully. It looks like a doe. I don't see any antlers and it is just walking around. I watch the deer put it's nose to the ground and walk around. I then make the decision that we need some venision and if it is to be I will loose an arrow to the best of my abilities. I will be honest. I did for a while pray that we'd get some venison. It would soon be apparent that the prayers were answered.

I stood still with bow in hand as the deer was walking on a path that led right to my stand. At 14 yards in front of me is a small scrape. The deer bent it's head down to sniff the scrape. At that moment I drew back on the Bowtec Guardian compound and settled the green sight pin on the shoulder blade. This shot would be basically angling down. I felt the cams break over and I had come to full draw. Everything looked right. I squeezed the trigger of my release and a blurr flashed to the deer. The orange and green fletched ST Axis carbon fiber arrow with the Slick trick broadhead entered the top of the deer and exited out the sternum. I saw the arrow pass through and bounce off the ground. At that moment the deer bolted upright and took off towards some thick cover to the south east of me. I watched the deer intently as it sped. One thing I noticed was that it's tail was curled like a pug dog. As it lept one of the stone walls I saw the deer stop and soon saw the white tail flittering in a spasmotic fashion. Then it disappeared. My emotions raced and I had a desire to get down and immediately track the deer. My mind and experience told me to wait a solid hour. I found my arrow and it was slick and wet. It also stank of bowel. My elation became fear. Did I gut shoot the deer? Was this a truly quick killing shot? Again I waited for a solid hour before making any attempt at tracking. As I walked towards the spot that I saw the deer last I noticed that there wasn't a drop of blood on the ground. I began to worry a tad. I crossed the stone wall and spotted some blood on the ground. Ok. This is better. I checked my bag for tape or some other marker and discovered that I did not have any. I then recalled stories of my Dad's friend who hunted in Germany when he was stationed there. German hunters had a lot of rituals including the cutting of different branches to indicate that they were tracking a deer. I cut a small branch and shaved several inches of bark off. I pushed it into the earth at an angle with the point in the direction of where it appears that there was a run. I walked further and found more blood. Still no deer was apparent. Bear in mind that the Massachusetts woods can be rather thick and brushy. This can boggle the minds of some people who live in such places like the Dakotas where there are wide open spaces. I walk further and see more blood. This is looking more hopeful. Then I spot the familiar sight. There was my deer. It was lying down on the side across the run. I figure that the deer ran a good one hundred yards before expiring. I knelt down in prayer for thanks of such a fine gift of meat and happiness for such an accomplishment.

I have to apologize for the lack of any pictures. I had neglected to take my camera but I did have a disposable camera. Dad took several pictures of me with the deer hanging on the gambrel ready for us to process it. All in all it was a great day.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Button buck taken with bow.

Post by TedH »

Congratulations! Any deer taken with a bow is a trophy in my book.
NRA Life Member
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Ted said it!

Oly
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

TedH wrote:Congratulations! Any deer taken with a bow is a trophy in my book.
+1 for sure!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great hunt!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job! I don't bowhunt, but sure have respect for those that do.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good account and thankyou, it takes alot of strength to not panic when tracking and I have felt a few times myself so well done.

So where did the shaft pass through?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well done.. Nice read ...Happy chompin' too
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Nath wrote:Good account and thankyou, it takes alot of strength to not panic when tracking and I have felt a few times myself so well done.

So where did the shaft pass through?

Nath.

I do all of my own butchering so I can provide the details on what the arrow did. The arrow seemed to penetrate at the top of the shoulder blade at about a 70 degree angle. The deer was facing me and slightly downhill. I was up at 14 to 15 feet and the arrow was loosed at what I estimate at 17 feet off the ground.

The arrow cut between two ribs near the spine and then penetrated the right lung at the top portion. The arrow then cut through the liver and then through the stomach and exited through a spot about four inches below the sternum. The arrow has a broadhead of 1 1/8 inches.

The deer traveled approximately one hundred yards before expiring. I hope that this helps
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Way to go! Sometimes tracking is an emotional roller coaster.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Bigbore,

Good descriptive story, as usual. Good eats too. I love bowhunting.
Congrats.

Kevin
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

For the deers position you pulled a got shot off :D

Best wishes.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!