OT: Have your gun interests changed over the years?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SFRanger7GP

OT: Have your gun interests changed over the years?

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I was looking in the safes this weekend and wiping everything down when I started separating firearms into two groups.
Group 1: Really enjoy; love hunting with it, and/or shooting it at the range.
Group 2: Why do I have this? I never shoot it. Have never taken it hunting. I should sell/trade this.
These classifications caused me to think. Have my likes and dislikes changed over the years? Am I a gun hoarder? Am I more practical? Am I a "gun snob" now? I have owned and/or fired just about everything out there. Now that I am older, more experienced and have a little more money, I have noticed that my interests have changed.

I have numerous handgun caliber leverguns. I see no reason for me to carry a rifle that has little advantage over a handgun in the same caliber. If I am going to pack a rifle and a handgun, I want a rifle with more power and range than the handgun.

I have several 30-30's. Why (other than the obvious)? I have never hunted with one nor do I enjoy plinking with one.

I have no interest in modern "black guns" or any other military style firearm. Not "anti assault rifle", just not interested in them anymore.

Long range, magnum caliber hunting rigs. For what? All the big game I have ever shot has been under 300 yds, with most of them under 100 yds.

I only like wood stocks. I have a HS precision stock that I put on my 35 Whelen when it will be riding in a scabbard on horseback. Other than that, I don't care much for plastic/composite stocks.

Semi auto handguns. When I carry one, it's always the same custom 1911 or Glock (ugly but hard to beat for its purpose). All the others are safe queens.

What do I really enjoy now? I like handsome firearms. Leverguns in 45-70; Marlin and Winchester. I enjoy plinking with cast bullets and nothing I have hit with a 45-70 round while hunting has taken another step. I like the 1895 Winchesters, Savage M99's and BLR's. I love my Shiloh Sharps rifles. Black powder cartridge shooting can become a therapeutic addiction and the Shiloh rifles are true works of art. I have fallen in love with my Merkel K3. It's beautiful, accurate and a pleasure to carry when I will be walking a lot. Handguns? Anything with a cylinder and nice wooden or ivory grips. Love my Colt's SAA's, Freedom Arms, older S&W's and Rugers. It's hard not to love a Ruger with nice grips and a little tune up. Shotguns? O/U or SxS.

I will be moving most of the Group 2 firearms in the near future. I want to get my collection to a more practical level. I could use the money to dress up my Group 1 firearms or maybe even buy a couple more firearms that I really enjoy now.

Has anyone else had changes over the years? I look forward to everyone's comments.
Hobie

Re: OT: Have your gun interests changed over the years?

Post by Hobie »

Yes. As I've gained experience I've lost interest in some. Mere modern military arms don't thrill me at all. :wink:

I did get all hot for snub guns for a while but that has abated. Sometimes I think I am a hoarder.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

My interests have changed some over time. The primary interests havent changed much, but the things that have sidetracked me have. I too, have little interest in modern self loaders, either rifles or handguns. Can't really get excited about 1911's either. A good Smith DA or Ruger or Colt SA are enough gun for about anything I need to do. I do appreciate scoped bolt rifles more now than in the past. A good Springfield or Mauser sporter, or earlier Ruger 77 I can enjoy looking at and shooting. I don't mind carrying them either, once I started carrying them upside down (I prefer carrying in hand for the most part).

Years ago, I sold off about half my guns, and didnt regret it. They were spares of things I had and liked, but didnt use the spares, or things I just didnt use at all. I've accumulated a few things now that I'm likely going to move also. It feels like a more relaxed attitude, not to have to worry about as much "stuff" when gone.

Havent read Hobies cheap guns/good guns cheap thread yet, but I'd rather have a few really good guns than a lot of cheaper guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I know I am a hoarder. I am looking at my Group 2 items and question my sanity to part with them. I know they will remain safe queens so I need to move them. As a hoarder, I have always been in favor of gun control. I feel people like us should control/own all firearms. :lol:

I think Malamute hits it head on when he talks about being sidetracked.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

SFRanger7GP you're not a hoarder, you're an accumulator. Same as me... :lol:

My interests seem to change about every three months or so but they tend to run in the same groups: rimfires, levers, revolvers, mil-surp/EBR types. I've had to part with some stuff and change my buying habits over the past couple of years but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I was forced to look at my accumulation and justify to myself why I wanted to keep something, family related weapons excluded.

I realized I had an M4gery simply because I'd carried one long enough to appreciate it but the AK left the safe 3-4 times as much. I got on a South American Mauser kick for a while and when I REALLY examined my thought process, I realized I just liked the crests and the idea of collecting a "different" Mauser breed than many others. Others were bought on a whim (Hey, that's COOL!) but when the new/cool wore off it just sat there.

Now I'm focused on rounding out the accumulation into a working battery I can take to the range or the field on a regular basis.

Of the stuff that's gone down the road over the past few years I can only think of a couple that I'd like to replace someday. I'd like another BLR, just not in .22-250. Nothing against the .22-250, it just didn't grab me quite enough to make the cut. Another single shot .45-70 would be nice just to shoot up the GOEX BP loads. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You betcha! I go through stages with guns about 15(20?) years ago I ws all hot and bothered by the milsurp stuff, and I think it was mainly because I could get the guns cheap and then cruise the gunshows looking for the right bayonet, and scabbard, and oiler and sling ect ect. Then I wasn't as into guns for a while, more of the drag racing bug, but then I got heavy into Savages, and now more of the lever gun thing. I have always had a few of each kind but then the bug hits and I head another direction. In handguns I have single action, big double actions and autos for different things. In rifles I have some single shots, some bolts,some levers, some semi's but I am happy with the group for a while then as has been said I get side tracked and items move on to make room for the new stuff. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Single actions and levers have and always will be my main interest but that doesn't mean I don't own a few other types. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

I was a huge modern military and milsurp fan at one time, but now I only own a couple and everything else is "old" for lack of abetter word but they get shot or played with regularly. I love the casting process and the rebuilding and tinkering that goes with owning the old two pipes shoots guns and the levers and single shots. I feel too that it brings me a bit closer to my childhood when all the old guys here either carried a lever gun or a beat to hell old enfield.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Rangerider7, I always enjoy the photos you post here. I had to chase my tail for awhile before I realized single actions and leverguns are so wonderful. I used to think Colt's SAA's were past their time of usefullness. Now I can't understand how I ever lived without them or why it took me so long to love them.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

For me I don't think it's a matter of my interests changing so much, rather I like to have variety. I get tired of shooting the same thing all the time. I got hot on a black rifle kick some years ago and then I got hot on leverguns. Same with handguns.

Recently, I've taken a renewed interest in my black rifles. I like to have a variety so I can rotate them from time to time and that keeps my interest fresh. I've never been a big fan of bolt actions or single shots. Maybe someday I'll take a shine to them too and then I'll have more variations to cycle through.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Used to be all about the hottest ballistic calbers/the most powerful handguns etc. :roll:
Also with the competitive shooting deal, which for a while was like my second life.(it got to become to much time/money/pressure on myself etc.where it was becoming non-fun)
Now mostly shoot at the fun CMP M1 shoots(we can use the black toys )

Now, I have done a total 180 degree turn around with HP rifle deal with the favorite liking of the 45-70
Also with the times a changing with our violent crime etc. the 44 mag,454 casull etc. all most of the time are in the safe and the tiny Kel-tec P32 is in the pocket!

Have never changed though on the Shotguns!
Though I have plenty of various shotguns----always had and always will have the hots for the Ithaca 37's and the old Wichester 37's
Favorite deer gun is still my 37 year old 20" Ithaca Deerslayer bought new and hunting with no baits and on the ground only using some scent away.
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am about to get interested in my Ruger #1 300 RCM that my daughter gave me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

Growing up in Wisconsin, I took my first deer with a 12ga springfield single shot at 12. After that, my dad let me use his model 70 in 30-06 (with open sights) while he used his BAR in .308win. I knew a ton of people that used levers in 30-30 and .35rem. and always wanted one. After I went in the military, I got stationed in Florida and I found my dream gun for sale by a co-worker. I picked up a Marlin 336 for 65.00! Back then, scopes were kind of a luxury and many folks hunted with open sights even on bolt rifles. For years I never thought that I would ever need any other rifle. As I got older and started having a little expendable income, I started drooling over a lot of different scoped bolt guns in various calibers. When I moved to Texas for a while, I started accumulating those guns as now I was in some wide open spaces where they could stretch their legs. I hunted with nothing but bolt guns for quite a few years and shamefully moved the levergun to the back of the safe. I eventually move back here to Florida and started hunting again a few years ago. I rolled a few animals with my bolt guns and one morning, sitting in a stand, I had an epiphany. I was overlooking a food plot that was 85yds long and in my lap was a scoped bolt gun that could drop a deer out to 300yds with little effort. I felt kinda dumb. I realized that of the 40 or so food plots on the 4000 acre lease, there was one that stretched to 225yds, two that went about 150yds or so, and all the rest are less that that. Perfect levergun territory! I had accumulated a few more leverguns since that first 30-30 (which I still own) and now the bolt guns have been moved to the back of the safe. The next hog or deer I take will be with my 1895 in 45-70, or my model 94 in 375win. I haven't decided yet.
aragornelessar86
Levergunner

Post by aragornelessar86 »

Hello, my name is AragornElessar86 and I'm a hoarder.

I hope my wife never finds this forum. I've got her convinced for now that I need all the guns I have.
Puma 92, 24.5in. BBl. length, SS, .357 Mag
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Basicly my intrests havent changed since I was a boy, and I am comeing up on 70. I have all the usefull guns I need X 10? Since a kid up I liked western history and guns. At one time I had a nice collection of western era historical guns and they were all stolen! Since then I have married raised a family and still have the obligation of takeing care of a young wife many years my junior. The type guns I collected have gone out of sight and for me, are now unatainable. I also like all the early classic guns like s&Ws, colts and winchesters from the era of say 1940 through 1980. I have a respectable collection of those and really cant justify or need to buy any more in my retired situation. Yes, if I see a deal that I can double my money on I might pick it up. Outside of that there is but only two or three guns I am watching for. Here is a partial list of guns I had that I lost. You will see not only what I liked, but also couldnt be replaced today except by a rich man.

A 1862 sharps carbine converted to 50-70
A old 50 caliber buffalo rifle, a witneyville armory that looked like a huge remington rolling block
A 1873 winchester in .38 wcf
A 1892 winchester 44 wcf carbine 1902 that came off a reservation in the dakotas
A colt SAA in 38 wcf from 1906
A early remington derringer .41
A colt lighting, nickle and pearl grips
A 1878 colt DA army .45 colt
Another winchester 92 rifle in .25 wcf
A s&w breaktop DA nickle like new in .44 russian
A 1906 lugar .30 with a ideal holster-stock.

I could go on, but you get the idea. This is just off the hand remembering a few from 40 years ago.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I am most certainly a hoarder and get sidetracked now and then but my main interest will always be old Winchester levers. It seems I can justify anything. I have guns I've owned for 20 years and never fired. I cast and handload and very much enjoy hunting with my old guns. I have casting and loading equipment for calibers I don't even own but it was " a good deal " and I may have one someday. My wife is a saint! My handguns run from a first generation Colt SAA to 1911's. I always have some military stuff around cause I feel I should but really enjoy shooting them in spite of myself. I always have some project going but as soon as I get it completed I put it in the corner and never use it. Got 1903A3 scout rifle project started now and don't no why. I own the less shotguns than anything and get the least excitement from them. Same with bolt guns.

SOMEBODY HELP ME!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My interest started out at an early age with history and antique firearms. In my mid-teens, the interest switched to high power rifles and four position shooting. This lead me to reloading and reloading lead me to hunting. Hunting lead me to sporting rifles which still are my central interest today. Somewhere along the line I picked up a bunch of handguns, but they have always held a secondary interest.

The gun acquisition bug seems to have died and I can't get excited about having more firearms. I am giving many away to my son and son-in-law. These days I spend time with those old favorite rifles and cast bullets. I can never even begin to wear out any of the many rifles I own.

I don't have a favorite type of rifle, with bolt guns, levergun, pumpguns and single shots all living with me. I could care less about old cowboy movies and that sort of stuff. 'But the mention of Harry Pope and folks like that, perk my ears up real quick. For me it is all about accuracy and hitting the target with one well placed shot.

I am just an old rifleman, that loves the smell of burned gunpowder, bullet lube and Hoppe's No. 9.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Because of England's crazy gun laws I've never been able to be the hoarder I know I should be. :roll:
So when I see something I can't live without, I usually have to part with a gun that I thought I couldn't live without, before I can buy it. :oops:
I spent a few years concentrating on muzzle loading rifles and pistols but I have lost interest in front stuffers lately.
But what ever firearms I have had in the past, I always come back to Mule Eared Shotguns and Leveraction Rifles, nothing else rings my bell, except, of course, what the government wont let me have. :twisted:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

When in the army I had unlimited access to all kinds of weapons. Later as a cop, I had my own gunsmithing business and was a dealer as well. Went through phases with different styles. Handguns galore. Shotguns of all sorts. Rifles were .223 autos, .308's and such. But always my real joy was in bigbore Black Powder rifles and revolvers.

Now, all that remains in my weapons stable are big bore muzzleloaders, a few .44 and .36 cal revolvers and I ALWAYS have a .45-70. Now the only centerfire I own is a Marlin 1895G. It is amazing and super tight shooter.

So I have run the gambit so to speak and have had everything that was not class III. But now I went backwards and am happy. Yeah, my interests have changed.....

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

One type of shooting I would like to get into is those old big bore single shot buffalo rifles. Awhile back I was at the range and a small group were shooting those at 800 yards. They were the heavy sharps and winchester high wall copys. They let me try a few shots. It sure is fun!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

No. After 40+ years or hunting and shooting. My first love is still the winchester 94 src's, Bigbores and the 86's and 95's 8)
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Can't say mine has changed just maybe expanded. Yes I have some that have not been shot in years (10+) but are good and will not be leaving soon. This is mainly the newer type stuff like M1A, FAL, 1911s in 10mm and 45acp.

The older stuff in the so called obsolete cals with cast bullets are just too much fun and sure are nice to look at. Many years ago I would not give ya 100 bucks for something like a Remington rolling block in 43 Spanish, but now it is one of my favorites.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Originally, I wanted a Mel-Tappan-ish 'battery' of say 9-10 firearms, all very practical, part of a cohesive 'package' where overlap was minimal, yet carefully planned.
  • Ruger 10/22
    Ruger Mark I
    Marlin 1894 44 Mag
    Ruger Super Blackhawk
    Ruger Mini-14, blued
    Contender in .223
    Ruger 6mm Remington
    Mossberg 12 gauge
    AMT .45 ACP 1911 clone
Then, the usual 'gluttony' phase (which served me well, as in the 1980's firearms were inexpensive, and ten years later when I needed the money, they were easy to sell when I needed a new water heater, etc.).

Now, I'm back to the 'minimalist' thought process, although I've done the opposite of many guys - I used to prefer walnut-and-blued-steel, perhaps because that's what I saw during my 'formative years', but now I prefer stainless-and-synthetic. Same with muzzleloaders; give me a stainless-synthetic in-line gun, as to me, it's a tool and not a nostalgic item or work of art. If I want a work of art, I'll probably go really 'primitive', and get a flinter. 8)

I still DO appreciate the craftsmanship and design of the 'older' guns, though, but tend not to 'dis' the 'modern' ones, either.

Unfortunately, I find myself many times to have saved up for a really nice gun I wanted for a specific target shooting, or hunting, or even just plinking, purpose, then about when I'm ready to spend the money, some new 'ban' is proposed, and I find myself buying whatever handgun/rifle/shotgun is suddenly about to be an endangered species. I don't enjoy buying guns that way; it's like saving money to go out to your favorite restaurant, then deciding that hurricane season is coming, so instead you buy six cases of canned spinach and beans.

I still find myself going back to my 'basic core' firearms, though; many I've sold, only to replace with 'stainless' ones of the same type...
  • AMT Lightning (10/22 clone, in stainless)
    AMT Hunter (Mark-I clone, in stainless)
    Marlin 1894-SS 44 Mag (stainless)
    Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag (stainless)
    Contender 22 Hornet (same frame - blued)
    Ruger Ranch Rifle, (stainless)
    Encore .280 Rem, (stainless)
    Mossberg Mariner 12 gauge (nickeled but not quite stainless)
    AMT .45 ACP 1911 clone (same one - stainless)
Between those guns, most any hunting or self-defense need is met, as long as you're not in bear/lion country, or the middle-east. :shock: I did add on a Ruger 96/22 levergun (they only come in blued... :( ) & Ruger Single Six stainless, just because they are so darned fun. Years ago, I figured that since .22 LR brass isn't reloadable, who cares if it flings out, so I figured why not go with the semiautos, but there's just something 'nostalgic' about the lever/single action pair...

Periodically, other firearms come and go, and temporarily replace one of the 'regulars' in the nine-gun battery, but it's hard to beat those basic ones. The only ones I keep 'duplicates' around for on a consistant basis, seems to be the LEVERGUNS, because they're all just so much FUN.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Not much at all, really. Still like what I like from age 5-15: Leveraction 94 Win., SA's, Double Barrel Shotguns, Civil War era Spencers and any Sharps Rifles. They don't have to be period correct...a little modern spin like the Big Bore 94 in 356 Win. or 307 is just fine as is a good Ruger SA. Long Rifles, another lust that I've always had, have to be more period correct. Don't like the cheesy repro's on the latter, but also like a good design like a T/C Renegade which is not period correct.

Single shot hand cannons, T/C single shot rifles, Inlines, synthetic bolt rifles, tree painted semi auto shotguns and semi auto pistols(except the 1911) have never done it for me, and never will. They just leave me cold.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Started with a Rem 870, Savage single shot 12b, and Wards .22 pump - my Dad's guns. These will always be with me.
First centerfire rifle was a Douglas barrelled Ruger 77 from 1970. Only centerfire rifle from 1980-2005. Most of the hunting near home was shotgun only. Not too many places to shoot a centerfire and the range rules restricted # of shots, rate of fire and bench shooting only. The Ruger went on all the road trips with me. Meanwhile, bird hunting was literally out the back door. Pheasant, quail, woodcock and waterfowl. Just one hour North there was also grouse. At one time I had 41 shotguns of every configuration. Much prefer SxS shotguns, so cut down to one high quality gun of each gauge (except 24 and 32, and the 10 is medium quality). Also kept a trap gun and semi auto. In 2005 I needed a rifle to stop bears during animal control endeavors. I got the 45-70 Win. This lead to some trading around since I purchased two of the same rifle along with the Marlin 1895 while deciding on one 45-70. Eventually the trades landed me a 45 Colt Win 94. Then the kids came along and needed some rifle, and one for the wife. Ended up with Henry Youth levergun, SMLE, single shot .410, 7mm-08. Also, reclaimed some firearms I let go as a kid, such as Savage 99. Accumulated a few more that were passed down within the family. Relocating allowed me to use rifles much more freely so I picked up a few just because I like them. Also, over the years my role as PH has varied from a few trips to extensive travel, so my double rifles have come and gone based on need to have them and offers to buy them from the clients (that I couldn't refuse). My tastes haven't changed much - I always liked the levergun and have collected a .22, 30-30, 35 Rem, 45 Colt, 45-70. Always kept the shotguns and others have come and gone. First choice gun for serious personal hunting is still the Ruger bolt gun I started with. For stopping it depends on what and where but the double rifle is never a bad choice and the 1886 fills in often. My gun interests haven't changed much over the years but my access, needs, financial position and hunting style have allowed a growing firearms collection. When it comes down to it, my Dad's guns, my Ruger and the shotguns are not negotiable but everything else is just a tool that is fun to have, but expendable.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I have always been mainly into single actions and levers. I own a few other types and enjoy shooting them all. What's wrong with being a hoarder? I believe every type of firearm has it's purpose. I plan on buying as many guns as I can afford and enjoying them while I can. You never know when that's gonna be taken away, whether by force or by some tragedy. There is no reason why people shouldn't own guns they don't really need or use. I would venture to say most of us own at least a couple of those :wink:
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Answer: Yes, I've owned hundreds over the years with a rather extensive variety of types. It started with remington nylons, I was trying to own them all back in my late teens, early 20s, must have had 30-35 at one time, I've been down to 2 for a long time. Then assorted black rifles, they went down to 1, then back to 2. Leverguns, bolts, autos, doubles, revolvers, they all came and most went. I'm down to around 40 in the house including the wife's(8?) and that's actually a pretty big reduction from previous highs. I keep thinking I should try to halve it again. I've been at the "sell/trade at least one to every addition" for quite a while so total has been going down, though very slowly as the wife accumulated her favorites. I've sold down quite a few as the wife got hers. The latest fad for me has been 1911s. I'm up to three with the GSG1911 22lr I just traded for but I'm pretty sure I'm topped out on those. There might be some upgrading of the type but not really interested in owning more of them. It's getting to the point that there isn't much I want that I haven't owned, then sold because it wasn't what I thought it would be or I just wanted something different.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My taste has changed, after I retired the 1st time I started Cowboy Action Shooting for a couple of years until my daughter decided on medical school and I had to go back to work, then 9-11 and a couple more deployments and back to work guns. Another retirement and back to work in the same field paying for school.
But, what else can you invest in that even when the stock market collapses you can still defend the house with.
It is not the critic who counts
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I started out with the pistol cartridge leverguns, but am getting more enamored of longer-range cartridges as I go. Next I got a 35 Rem and then a 30-30, recently, a .243. I might get a 30-06 before long.

I tend to think of the cartridge rather than the gun, what it can do for me, what does it feel like to shoot, etc.

I am less interested in the Wild West look, I'm thinking more utilitarian.

I'm doing less of the silhouette shooting so I think that accounts for less interest in the historic guns.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I like to think of it as a 38 year learning experience, started saving and buying my own at age 14. I like ALL well made guns, I'm just finding out which one's I like best. :lol: I probably shoot pistols more than my rifles due to being a firearms instructor but I've always been a rifleman at heart, old US military rifles are my main weakness.

I went thru the black rifle stage, at one time owned 9 different military semi-autos and one FA. I've still got a few ARs lying around, but I pretty much owned all of them available at one time or another.

I've owned bolt actions from the .22 Hornet to the .460 Weatherby Mag, at one time I owned 6 magnum rifles, now I don't have any. During all those years of experimenting with different calibers and magnums the one thing I learned was if an '06 won't kill it I don't need to be hunting it.

I've owned a lot of handgunds, mainly revolvers both single and double action, but I've also owned a bunch of autos from 9mm to .45acp. Years ago I settled on two cartridges for my handguns, 9mm on the autos and .357 in the wheel guns. I if had to get rid of all my handguns but one I'd keep a .357 DA revolver.

As for shotguns I like the autos, A5's and 1100's, and I like both 12ga and 20ga, but I'll always own at least one 12ga 870 Remington pump. To me that gun is the do-it-all of shotguns.

I like pumps. I've got samples of them in .22lr, .357mag, and .30'06, and 12ga. In my experience they're... almost as accurate as a bolt, almost as fast as an auto, and as fast(er) and easy(er) to handle as a lever gun. (fireproof underwear on :wink:) all lumped together in one gun. I'll have more of these as time and money permits. If anyone ever makes a modern pump gun in .45-70 I'm screwed.

Now my lever guns are a different story. They're my "I may not need 'em but I like 'em so I'll have 'em" guns. I'm a pre-1900 Winchester design man all the way, not saying Marlin's aren't good guns, I've owned several, I just can't fall in love with them. I've got at least one example of everything between a '73 to a '95, with the '86's, 92's and 95's really catching my eye. I intend to have more of each of those models.

Like I said, a 38 year learning experience, I guess I'm a slow learner. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I guess I am a hoarder as well. My collection has taken several twists and turns throughout the years. It has several different "themes" running concurrently. It started out with a desire to reunite my father's modest gun collection after he passed away. 1/3rd each went to myself and my two younger brothers. Neither of them were as interested in them as I was, so over the years I bought their collections out and finally had Dad's collection all back together - for about a week. I then gave a gun to my sister, who was not included in the original distribution of Dad's collection (sold, for legal reasons, for a minimal amount :wink: ) for what I can only chalk up to as sexist reasons. I guess I never actually had it all back as one gun had been stolen from one of my brothers long ago.

I started with collecting .22's in every action style so I would have guns I could shootly cheaply. I collect some military long arms, wanting an example of each major US piece. I love guns from the western expansion period, say 1836 to the turn of the century, and have a lot of reproductions from that period. Someday I may get into the real things. Mostly I guess my collecting has been with the next generation in mind - and generations after that. I have several guns that don't fit any theme, but somehow ended in the collection. I guess these were always considered trading stock if I needed them, or perhaps guns to give out in case of a revolution or attack by a horde of zombies! :wink: :lol:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Not really...Always had levers ....wheel guns...and 22s
and most of my stuff is for hunting, skeet, trap, and sporting clays.
but recently my interest in ebr's has peaked...
cant afford to shoot em....but I want one...:wink:

but if I were to go out and buy a gun or two right now
I would get a ruger single six hunter and a 9422mag
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Have my gun interests changed over the years?
Yup!
I've gone into and out of different shooting sports and as a result, at different times I've had major interest in smallbore target rifles, silhouette guns, IPSC gear, trap, skeet and CAS guns. The never-ending pursuit of the perfect carry gun. Additionally, there was a varmint hunting phase and changing philosophies of how to hunt deer and other game that have dragged me the whole gamut from beanfield rifles to brush guns, from what the old timers used to scout rifles and space (age)-y autoloaders. Survivalist stuff for awhile back when that was big. There was even an EBR phase that lasted until I realized it was foolish to keep buying and feeding them on my thin dime when I was getting paid by the USMC to use theirs (Never said I was the quickest one to figure stuff out, but I generally get there. Eventually). I've always had a fascination with the old stuff, especially from the Civil War through WWI when the pace of firearms development was going at breakneck speed.

Lately, it's been the guns I've always wanted. Maybe it'd be more accurate to call them my "bucket list" guns. Since my Dad passed a couple of years ago, I've become aware that I don't have forever to let "someday" happen with the guns I've always thought "That's really neat. Someday I'd sure like to have one of those". So, I've been rounding up those Broomhandle, Mannlicher, Model 52 Sporter, Auto Mag, sorts of things.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

My tastes have definitely changed.

My first rifle was an FN-FAL, followed by a Mini-14 and an AR (get the picture?). When i started to enjoy hunting again as opposed to just shooting, i purchased a couple of hunting specific utility grade rifles (base model 700 Rem, etc) ----

now i have less time for hunting but love to shoot more for the heck of it, and now my recent purchases are a lot more levergun oriented

Never had too much use for hi-cap autoloader handguns either --- when i was in the service 20 years ago, i asked a Navy range instructor who was accompanying a Seal team training at Ft Campbell -- "Whats with the cowboy guns?" in reference to the Model 66's some of them were carrying. He just replied --

"You ever see what a .357 does to a tangoes face at 10 yards?" -- i was a .357 fan from then on , but i have added a couple of 1911's to the safe recently and i truly enjoy them as well, but at the end of the day when my back is tired from scooping up brass, i long for the wheelgun again
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I've also come to appreciate the .357 as the years go by. In a 92 16" it's handy and light. A 4: revlolver with 180grn hardcast will take all North American game at 100 yards or under. Personally, I'd keep it to 50 yards or under with the handgun.
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

I started out shooting SA revolvers and lever action rifles, got into Single Shot TC's for about 30 years. It seems I have come full ciecle, back to SA revolvers and lever action rifles, like them all but prefer the lever guns and revolvers now.

SINGLESHOT
Death Before Dishonor
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I have always been a sucker for a certain brand name, MR BROWNING sure lit a fire in my eyes, I have 28 brownings and another 50 or so different breeds, but I have always loved the simple 22 LR guns, in the last few years I have been migrating to vintage target rifles mostly single shots, and the more accurate they are the better I like them, lately I have been debateing on selling alot of the guns and buying higher quality guns of those that I actually use, mainly in 22 LR in the vintage target class, I have bunches of shotguns and I really only use 2 of them, a side-by-side CZ 28 ga for bunny and bird and a auto-5 set up to shoot slugs for my deer hunting, I will always keep a deer rifle for out of state hunts, and I will always have afew pistols around the house, but for the most part I could narrow my guns down to about 6 or 8 and have everything I really need....... But what fun would that be? I love guns and have ever since I was big enough to get my hands on them, whether it was a toy gun or the real thing, IM A GUN JUNKIE and I admit it, :mrgreen:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

The categories have not changed, but a few details have.

Single shot rifles are my favorite, then the pumps and levers. Bolts and semi's have always left me cold. I can't say why, other than I tend to be drawn to old tech. I recognize the bolts and the semi's are technically the best, but I don't own one of either.

Similarly, while I can admire pistols, I own only a revolver, but in general I prefer rifles.

For a while I was intrigued by short barrels on rifles, but after owning one, I now think anything less than 26" is weird. Other than this, I haven't changed since I started shooting.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like most all guns other than military issue with the exception of the 1911. I do own a couple Mauser s though.
I prefer steel and wood and deplore stamped and plastic pieces of crud.
Old Winchesters and Marlins fit my style just right. :wink:

Have my interests changed? Not for collecting but for shooting
it has. I shot registered trap for years and now I am into CAS. They take different guns but I don`t sell any to get the new ones. My collection has grown over the years due to changes in shooting interests. :D
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I have always focussed on hunting, moving from rabbits and fox to pigs and then deer (while still shooting bunnies of course).

I have moved through various action types -bolt, lever, semi auto (before Australia's difficult laws), double rifle, pump- back to bolt, lever and single shot and in terms of cartridges fooled around with .17 rem, 17hmr, 22lr,22 rim mag, 222,223, 30-30, 7x57, 308, 35 Whelen and 350 rem mag, .410 and 12 gua.

I am now focussing more on long range shooting, though in the past I have for example hunted rabbit with a 35 whelen pump.

The last 40 yrs have been an interesting journey.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Only change for me really is that I've lost much of my tolerance for recoil. That's pretty much it because I've always been drawn to high quality craftsmanship as well as mechanical devices with a ruthless pursuit of their purpose.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Not much. I've always thought that a lever is what a rifle oughta look and feel like, same with revolvers, particularly single actions. I have mellowed quite a bit over the years about things like stainless steel and laminated or synthetic stocks, though. Like smokeless powder and noncorrosive primers, it looks like they're her to stay! If the fellers in the old days could have had such things, they would have snapped them up in preference to what was available. I still have a weakness for nice wood and blued steel, though.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

To me finding the right gun for what I was hunting was what drove me to what I would purchase. So having a 12 gauge,270Win and 22lr was perfect. Not being able to touch a handgun until you are 21 in NY kept me from giving them much thought. Now that I am 21 :roll:, handguns are my weakness! Target shooting with hand guns and handgun hunting are my main interests, along with leverguns and lately AR's. The biggest change is now I only own custom guns. 1911's ,single action revolvers and leverguns :D Lot's of fun deciding on a base gun and the conversion to new calibres and grip material. Then there is the wait...........
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Yea...now I LIKE EVERYTHING.

I have been shooting a local, montly, defensive pistol match the last several months. It's a non sanctioned match... a hybrid IPSC-IDPA format that favors CCW type weapons. Skeet shooting is a little hard to find around here--- so we replace one addiction with another.

Several guns are on my "bucket list"... still looking for a good M1 Carbine, a A2 AR15 and a few other "gotta have" pieces
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

claybob86 wrote:Not much. I've always thought that a lever is what a rifle oughta look and feel like, same with revolvers, particularly single actions. I have mellowed quite a bit over the years about things like stainless steel and laminated or synthetic stocks, though. Like smokeless powder and noncorrosive primers, it looks like they're her to stay! If the fellers in the old days could have had such things, they would have snapped them up in preference to what was available. I still have a weakness for nice wood and blued steel, though.
Agreed ! George Armstrong Custer would have welcomed an AR-15 or two with open arms as well :lol: (but i still love walnut/blue steel too)
----- Doug
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

kind of....sold off/gave away most of my shotguns but one.a win 20 ga. pump for hunting in ks.it knocks down the birds just fine.
I have kept all my old milsurp rifles.gotta love the old finn rifles and M-1's.
sold off all my AR-15 junk oops stuff,colts,bushmaster and S&W.the socom and M-1 cover those needs just fine.
nothing has changed in the handgun/leveraction/hunting rifles.someday I might sell off a few of my thumpers a few are over kill for TX. :lol: or until they start to issue rhino tags :D .
pete
DAV life member.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I know I am a hoarder, and maybe even more so, with the present political siduation. I am also curious and have purchased many guns over the years just to see if I would like them.

Some got kept, and many got traded off for others. My interests has changed, one example is my muzzloaders, for hunting, I now only use for the most part flintlocks, and have no use for the modern inlines.

My centerfire rifles are mostly leveractions and I do own more of them then I can find time to use, so in that area I am definately a hoarder.

When it comes to shotguns, I mostly hunt with side by sides, but still own a few semi autos and pumps.

I keep refining my inventory to my idea of perfection, I guess :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have about come full circle. I have liked guns since I was a little boy. My first gun was a hand me down Winchester Model 62 that I shot to death. I killed huge numbers of trash birds, ground hogs, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, and turtles with that gun. Deer were not plentiful then. I wanted any gun I could get my hands on in those days.

Over the years I had every kind of gun. I tried them all but never really was attracted to semi auto rifles or shotguns. I would get a gun, not like it as much as I thought I would, and sell it or trade it. Some guns I sold I would regret and buy another but not many. It was a lot of fun really. I learned a lot of stuff and met a lot of good people playing the gun game.

Then one day it was like the thrill was gone. I had owned every gun I was interested in and either still had it or had lost interest in it. I know true collectors who have lots of guns they never shoot but that is no fun for me. I want to hunt and shoot.

So now I don't have nearly as many as I used to. I am fond of Smith revolvers but carry a Glock most of the time and if I am having fun I carry a Ruger 44. Just never warmed up to the 357 Magnum. I jump from 38 Special to 44 Special.

I can cover all of my hunting needs with my Marlin 30-30, CZ side by side 20 gauge, Marlin 39A, and some kind of scoped centerfire bolt gun in 243 or better but not over a 308. Honestly I don't need a 22 much and seldom need a bolt gun as I am a woods hunter mostly. I have never understood guys shooting 26" barrel 7 Mags with big scopes at deer that are at 75 yards or less in the woods.

So my interest in guns has changed from being interested in any and every gun to being interested in the guns that suit my needs. It was a lot of fun trying them all out though! I still admire fine guns as art and think a man should have whatever gun tickles his fancy.

I still have a few goodies up my sleeve in the form of Smith revolvers and a few luxury levers I don't really use but not many. I would rather find guns for kids, take kids shooting or hunting, or spend time with someone getting started and save them a few mistakes than spend my time stacking up guns I will never really use.

My kids have their own guns and only one of them is really gunny. I was introduced to a boy a few years ago who is a real gun nut. He is 14 now and I take him shooting quite a bit. He is a big hunter too with family land so he is lucky in that regard. He might wind up with more guns than he thinks he will one day. :D