OT - OK then how about the USFA SA revolvers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OT - OK then how about the USFA SA revolvers?

Post by Old Savage »

Anyone have these? Quality, reliability? Etc?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

No experience with them myself but Turnbull is buying them, slicking them up, making em fancy, or as whatever the customer wants and then selling them.
ED
Yer never too old
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I had the chance to handle two, at a gun show not far from Hartford.

I also had a really hard time, putting them back.

Colt SAA were $1300 & up at the time - they were $900/up, and put together right there in Hartford.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE USFA GUNS ARE EXCELLENT. THE USFA SA SIXGUNS ARE BY 'N' LARGE THE NEW GOLD STANDARD IN SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS.
THEY ARE THE GUNS THAT GOT COLT OFF THEIR LAZY BUTTS AND BACK TO MAKING REAL SAA SIXGUNS THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS. THE NEW COLTS BEING MADE ARE SO GOOD NOW THOUGH THAT UNLESS YOU'RE GETTING A HECK OF A DEAL ON THE USFA YOU MIGHT AS WELL BUY THE COLT 'CAUSE IT IS GONNA BE A COLT FOREVER.
WITH THAT BEING SAID I WOULD NEVER SELL ANY OF MY USFA SIXGUNS AND THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING CONCERNING MY COLT SAA SIXGUNS TOO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...I think very highly of my USFA guns. There is one thing I'd add to Terry's comments. The USFA Rodeo has all the quality and fit of the higher priced USFA revolvers, but not the case colors and the high blue, at a price that's fairely close to the imports. Guess it's the good buy Terry spoke of. The options of barrel length and caliber is limited in the Rodeo line.

...old goat
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Terry Murbach wrote:THE USFA GUNS ARE EXCELLENT. THE USFA SA SIXGUNS ARE BY 'N' LARGE THE NEW GOLD STANDARD IN SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS.
THEY ARE THE GUNS THAT GOT COLT OFF THEIR LAZY BUTTS AND BACK TO MAKING REAL SAA SIXGUNS THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS. THE NEW COLTS BEING MADE ARE SO GOOD NOW THOUGH THAT UNLESS YOU'RE GETTING A HECK OF A DEAL ON THE USFA YOU MIGHT AS WELL BUY THE COLT 'CAUSE IT IS GONNA BE A COLT FOREVER.
WITH THAT BEING SAID I WOULD NEVER SELL ANY OF MY USFA SIXGUNS AND THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING CONCERNING MY COLT SAA SIXGUNS TOO.
+1
North Bender
Levergunner

Post by North Bender »

My favorite 6-guns, both in .45 Colt:

USFA Rodeo (this one has the "Fire Blue Appointments" - blued screws, ejector button, trigger):

USFA Pre-War - A Premium-Grade USFA with Turnbull color case and hammer hardening, Bone Case & Blue finish, "Fire Blued Appointments", USFA fancy 2-piece walnut grips and the optional .45 acp cylinder:

I changed the trigger and hammer springs on the Rodeo and that smoothed it out considerably. The Pre-War does not need any help - it came from the factory with a great-feeling action. The Pre-War shoot right to POA. I haven't shot the Rodeo with the new springs yet.[/img][/i]
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sweet!!

Though I am still partial to ivory grips. :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I have 2 Rodeos, one in .38-40 and the other in .45 Colt. For my purposes, I couldn't ask for better weapons. They may not have the pony but I have no plans to part with them.

Lousy pic though.:( I REALLY need to get a light booth or somesuch...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

try natural outdoor lighting and experiment with different backgrounds.
Shoot allot of pictures at different angles, most will look like stuff,
but you will have one or two that will come out looking half decent. :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The USFA I have been drooling over is the USFA Plinker 22.
$1,100.00 for that little gem. :shock:
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

This one belongs to my son, turns out to be from the days when they used Uberti parts. None the less it's a fine sixgun, the "Royal Blue" has to be seen to be appreciated, and the one piece walnut grips are flawless.

Last edited by Warhawk on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Terry Murbach wrote:THE USFA GUNS ARE EXCELLENT. THE USFA SA SIXGUNS ARE BY 'N' LARGE THE NEW GOLD STANDARD IN SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS.
+1! I have USFA sixguns ranging from the Uberti-parts era to the current all-USA. Great sixguns!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

Here's my Rodeo. Didn't like the matt black finish so I stripped it and antiqued it, then added a set of vintage stag grips. The quality of this gun is as good as my Colts.

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Here is my Rodeo in .45 Colt. I really like this pistol. I had talked to Gary Granger about getting one in .44 Special, but the wait was long and I stumbled into a deal on this one. This one is smooth and has very tight tolerences. Shoots good too!
[img][img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/ ... 0_0111.jpg[/img][/img]
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I like mine!

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Scott....who did that front sight for you? Is it dovetailed in? Looks good.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

DerekR wrote:Scott....who did that front sight for you? Is it dovetailed in? Looks good.
Dustin Linebaugh did the one-piece elephant ivory grips and the front sight. The front sight is dovetailed and is much easier to see than the factory sight. It is also windage adjustable.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

With those photos you guys are going to make me spend more money! Dang it all... :cry:

:lol: Dang nice guns. :mrgreen:

One point, you only have to enter the code once.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Savage:

Now you're talking shootin' irons!

If the Uberti is analogous to a Chevy Cobalt, the USFA single action is the equivalent of a Lexus. No comparison.

I don't yet own one, but have fired and examined maybe six or seven USFA SAs, and I'm saving for a 4-5/8" model in 45 Colt. I just don't know what model to buy.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Kid Cossack
Levergunner

Post by Kid Cossack »

Hamilton Bowen---umm, do I need to say anything further?---works on single action Colt style revolvers from Colt, or from USFA. Howzat for a comment on their quality?
Not all who wander are lost.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Thanks for this topic, I've been saving my sparse pennies to buy a Colt SAA and now I'm thinking I might look at the USFA's. Decisions..Decisions! :cry:
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - OK then how about the USFA SA revolvers?

Post by Slick13 »

Old Savage wrote:Anyone have these? Quality, reliability? Etc?
I have a USFA Rodeo. Very pleased with it. Only problem I've had is the hand spring broke after a couple hundred rounds. Called up USFA and they send me two new hands with springs installed and a few extra springs. Little filing of the hand to get it fitted, and she's as good as new.

~Michael
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have Rodeo 45Colt I LOVE it had two Vaquero's prior to Buying the Rodeo SOld the Vaquero's I am a BIG Ruger fan so dont think im downing Riuger one bit I am not . I still have 4 other Ruger handguns .
I cary and shoot the Rodeo more than any others these days
Coupled with the RCBS 270 SAA Its GREAT
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Bluehawk wrote:I have Rodeo 45Colt I LOVE it had two Vaquero's prior to Buying the Rodeo SOld the Vaquero's I am a BIG Ruger fan so dont think im downing Riuger one bit I am not . I still have 4 other Ruger handguns .
I cary and shoot the Rodeo more than any others these days
Coupled with the RCBS 270 SAA Its GREAT
What powder charge are you using for that bullet Bluehawk? I use the same bullet, and last night I loaded some up with 8.5 grains of Unique for my Blackhawk and Rodeo. I don't think I want to go any harder than that in the Rodeo.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Almost the exact same load . I tested that bullet in my Ruger Blackhawk Bisley while testing for the Rodeo. Tested Unique and three other powders at the same time .
Setteled on Unique. I went as High as 9grains of Unique and had no trouble with the gun. but did not like the "Feel" of the gun at that point , form a recoil stand point. It was very accurate at that point from both revolvers. Actually that was my best grouping at 25 yards. I had worked my up from 8.3 grains to that point . Went backwards again and the best grouping IM MY GUN was 8.6 settled on that load and it is now the olad for both revolvers as standard carrying load
In the Bisley I load a 300 Grain Speer SP with 21 Grains of H110 for my heavy load but that gets no where NEAR the Rodeo.
OH by the way my bollits at my mix come out of the mold at about 286 grains .
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

There was a really good show on "Shooting Gallery" not long ago that featured US Firearms. The owner pointed out that no castings are used in their guns like some other companies use. It was a very informative episode. They've added a few new models recently as well and are supposed to be making Remington revolvers for Remington Arms soon! Their website is pretty extensive. I believe the address is www.usfirearms.com so enter at your own risk, 'cause you're going to want one of everything!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

To be gut honest, those USFA's are real sweet and are all that.
“Butâ€
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

My USFA SA is an example of the highest quality craftsmanship & has been a very accurate shooter.........consistent gong-hits at 50yds, off-hand. Will buy another as soon as I'm able. jd45
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

i bought a pair of the rodeos and have wore about half of the finish off them, still feel and shoot like they are new.
if i buy another one or two they will be blue case hardened combo.
love that click,click,click,click..... boom.
and they are dang accurate for their sighting system