OT - Sharp's owners, tried this?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Sharp's owners, tried this?

Post by awp101 »

.22 sub caliber inserts for the Sharps:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3399.htm
An inexpensive way to practice with you competition guns. This liner is offset so it does not use a shell holder adapter as in the other but instead uses your rifle's center fire firing pin to directly strike the cartridge on its edge. Extraction is then quickly accomplished by the use of a small screwdriver. Available only for the 40-65 Win., 40-90 SBN, 45-70, 45-90, 45-100, 45-110, 45-120 calibers ONLY.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1477.htm
Now you can shoot inexpensive 22 Long Rifle cartridges in your .40 or .45 caliber single shot rifles. Practice with your competition rifle and hone your shooting skills. A great way to join the ranks of .22 silhouette shooting. This unit uses an ingenious shell holder adapter that holds the cartridge into the chamber of the liner. The shell holder then is struck by your rifles firing pin. Available only for the 40-65 Win., 40-90 SBN, 45-70, 45-90, 45-100, 45-110, 45-120 calibers ONLY.

I'm thinking something like this might be cool for the Quigley. It would help if they would give the insert length and twist rate... :?

Has anyone ever tried one? Does one adapter system seem to have an advantage over the other?

Thanks!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

These aren't just for a Sharps. They will work with just about any singleshot rifle, and will actually give excellent accuracy if properly made!
I'm not familiar with the one sold at Buffalo Arms, but I have shot a Ballard that was fitted with the one made by Dave Crossno at Crossno's Guns. Dave's version is unique in the fact that it extracts the empty case. Some others need to have the case pushed out with a cleaing rod, as they wont operate with the ejector of the original caliber.
I've seen some fellas using these adapters in singleshot matches and schuetzen smallbore matches, and they're accurate enough to be very competitive!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks Vall! I'm seriously considering that Crossno version...
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

I have one for my Stevens 44 1/2 in 45-70 and have shot quite a few BPRC 22 silhouette matches. The sport is the brainchild of Dave Crossno. I'm not sure what came first the barrel sleeve or the sport. These shoot very well and can compete out to 200 meters with scaled down silhouette targets and 22 LR ammo. Dave's shop is around the corner from the OKC gun club and we have shot several matches together so there is no bias here :wink:

The sleeves insert into barrels chambered for cartridges based on the 45 basic brass. Any smaller and he runs out of room to get the rim under the firing pin.
I'm not familiar with the one sold at Buffalo Arms, but I have shot a Ballard that was fitted with the one made by Dave Crossno at Crossno's Guns. Dave's version is unique in the fact that it extracts the empty case. Some others need to have the case pushed out with a cleaing rod, as they wont operate with the ejector of the original caliber.
I'm not sure what that Ballard was equipped with but it probably wasn't a Crossno conversion. Dave's come with a small pocket screwdriver that you use to flip out the empties.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ram Hammer, how long would the barrel insert be? The Quig has a 34" bbl IIRC.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Ram Hammer, how long would the barrel insert be? The Quig has a 34" bbl IIRC.
I get 24" rim to muzzle. My rifle has a 32" barrel.

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have one of the Crossno's that goes into the 40-65 rolling block. Works real well, and the darn thing shoot scary accurate. 160 bucks well spent.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:I have one of the Crossno's that goes into the 40-65 rolling block. Works real well, and the darn thing shoot scary accurate. 160 bucks well spent.
Don, I see someone got in early in the GUSA clique! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks to all! I think I'll order one in the next week or so... :twisted:

OK, I gotta ask....GUSA?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff yes sir, the man that that twerp gun writer defamed is a close friend of mine, and a dang good shot as well.

AWP GUSA= Great Unknown Shooters of America.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hmmm, sounds as if there's something of a story here... :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:Griff yes sir, the man that that twerp gun writer defamed is a close friend of mine, and a dang good shot as well.
AWP GUSA= Great Unknown Shooters of America.
That "twerp gunwriter" is a friend of mine; and a darn good shot also. Sure wish I could arrange to be there and witness the blood-letting! :lol: "Defamed" might be a little harsh, but certainly taunted to near that! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff the man was out of line.

AWP you can call Crossno direct and get it straight from them, takes about 2 weeks.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:Griff the man was out of line.
I agree, and unlike what I know of him. As a friend, I'll give him the benefit of doubt. I suspect there's a back story; would still like to see the shoot!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff here's to hoping it was cabin fever.
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

In AWP101's post, the top unit is by Crossno, the bottom is the Lee Shaver. I started out with the Shaver, then had Crossno convert it to his system. The cartridge insert required by the Shaver unit is a PITA.

So having had both types, I strongly recommend the Crossno (full disclosure, Dave Crossno is a good friend of mine, but that doesn't mean I'm not being objective here).
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Feedback from someone that has used both is great, thanks!

Nothing wrong with having the manufacturer as a friend. :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Another thought (that smoke you smell isn't from your computer :lol: ):

Are either unit limited to the types of ammo allowed such as standard velocity only or will they take the high and hyper velocity stuff as well (like Stingers, etc)? Escpecially the Crossno unit...

If they're being used in 200m events I'd suspect they can use something besides "target" ammo but it's nice to check.;)
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Don McDowell wrote:Griff the man was out of line.

AWP you can call Crossno direct and get it straight from them, takes about 2 weeks.
Do you have contact info ? I have been looking at one of thoes for about a year and its time.

Thanks
rafter-7

cdness@srt.com
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/crossnostocks/

This is his website. Phone number is in there.

Will Rogers
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Thanks

rafter-7
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I would love to have one that would work in a Trapdoor Springfield. However, I believe that due to the shape of the old Springfield's action, an adaptor no longer than 3 1/2 to 4 " could be tilted and slipped in from the chamber end.

Even so, that would still be great. The .22rf still is useful and potentially accurate with 4" of rifled barrel. I would just have to find a gunsmith willing to turn down a piece of .22 rifle barrel to make one fit.

One of many "To Do" projects.

Sean
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Awp I've been running remington golden bulk's in mine. No problems so far.
Rafter 7 you'll be glad you did it, I'm pretty sure.

junkbug about the only hope for the trapdoor is to turn one into a permanent 22 I saw and shot one that a fella built that way and its a sweetheart.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Don McDowell wrote:Awp I've been running remington golden bulk's in mine. No problems so far.
Thanks, that's my usual plinking load.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

AWP101: you can use any ammo in them. I don't shoot in Dave's .22 silhouette matches so I don't know what the current ammo favorite is. I know at one time people were using Wolf match ammo, believe it or not.

One of the things that makes Dave's liners so accurate is that he uses a match chamber reamer and the liners are properly crowned.

His .22 silhouette matches have become so popular here that a lot of guys have had full custom rifles made in .22 dedicated to these matches. We're talking Ballards, High Walls, etc. Dave tells me that sometimes customers are surprised to find out a full custom .22 is just as expensive as a centerfire, not realizing the same amount of work and materials goes into both. There's a "it's just a .22!" kind of thinking that no longer applies. The liners are a great way to compete or practice with your big bore rifle.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

SR James wrote:
His .22 silhouette matches have become so popular here that a lot of guys have had full custom rifles made in .22 dedicated to these matches. We're talking Ballards, High Walls, etc. Dave tells me that sometimes customers are surprised to find out a full custom .22 is just as expensive as a centerfire, not realizing the same amount of work and materials goes into both. There's a "it's just a .22!" kind of thinking that no longer applies. The liners are a great way to compete or practice with your big bore rifle.
Very true! There are a lot of folks who still think of .22 riles as cheap plinkers, and can't imagine spending the kind of money that it takes to own a competitive .22 rifle!
Fact is that a very accurate centerfire can often be found for a lot less than a competitive .22 rifle! Especially on the used market for competition rifles.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

The bucks you can put into a 22 for this kind of competition are just as big as what goes into a 45-70. But that aside, my Shuttleworth Stevens is a switch barrel rifle. What I like about Dave's liners is that I can shoot my rifle in its 45-70 configuration for practice. Same weight and length. It helps in off hand practice. That is why I prefer Dave's sleeve instead of a dedicated 22 barrel.

Will Rogers
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks again to all!

Rimfires have been a hobby of mine for awhile so I know it ain't cheap to build a competitive one. Which is why I haven't...:lol:

I've often told new 10/22 owners that it's real easy to sink 4x the price of the rifle into modifications without realizing it.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at