OT ??? release trigger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

OT ??? release trigger

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My post on the WW Greener brought a thought to my head. Does anyone here shoot a release trigger for trap?
I tried one for a month or so but they aint for me!!! :D
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Release triggers are for trap shooters who develope a flinch. They, in my opinion, should never be used by someone who does any field shooting. they develope bad muscle memory as far as safety is concerned.
I have been on the trap line with people who shoot release triggers. If the house can't stop throwing broken birds the shooter has no other way to step from the line than to release the shot. If the puller is not aware of the release, he can be scared out of his wits when he steps down off the chair.

I guess that I should say that release triggers are a pet peave of mine.

Hartman
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hartman, what you say about hunting and release triggers for trap is true.

Every gun with a release I have seen , the trigger can be reset by opening the action or pulling the bolt out of battery. Many trap money games require a shooter to skip a turn or pass up a target without firing such as buddy shoots, Annie Oaklies,etc. The trigger has to be able to reset.

A very fast doubles gun I know of has a release first barrel and pull second. I have a friend who shoots one and he can brake a pair and it almost sounds like one shot. Interesting, I wonder who dreamed it up?? :shock:
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Shooting registered targets whether it be ATA or PITA It is MANDATORY that the trap help have and use a red flag on a pole when ever they are not in position to operate the trap machine !!!!!!!!!
Before calling for a target each shooter has his or her gun pointed in the proximinity of the trap house and if the flag shows each shooter is required to change position of there barrel and unload firearm, imediately, the very way they function the action has to be opened to cancel.
Over the years I've seen quite a few a d 's but not one from a release trigger and of alll of them not one hurt anyone because the muzzel was pointed in a safe direction.
I've owned Ljitic's, Perazzi', Browning's,Remington,Winchester,Beretta. and Franchi all w/ release,or w/ release,release and w/o even 1 problem ,because safety rules were always followed
Chuck it's correct that in MOST cases poeple go to release because of flinching. Some might develop said flinch in as few as 4 or 500,000 targets usaully it'll take many more than that. There are however a lot of us that went to a release system because it is smoother to release a trigger than to pull a trigger.IE relaxing a musclerather than tightening a muscle.

I have hunted w/ only 1 person that used a release in the field . WAS AND IS THE SAFEST GENTELMAN I"VE EVER SHOT COMPETITION OR HUNTED W/. I do believe that this isn't even an issue as it is extremely rare for anyone to hunt w/ a release and the people that shoot seem to have an abundance of skill and knowledge
I had #141 Ljutic Space Gun built for me years ago and rather than a trigger it used a button and I had it made to release , absoutely fantastic .
I've shot every style that I've ever heard of in triggers and at the top of the heap is a finely tuned release even superior to a competition set triggers that I shot at one b r match . Now I'm not a big time shooter but I can get most of my targets broke and purt near all of my shots get on the paper, BUT I do enjoy shooting and I work at being extreme about safety
Chuck , there is absoutly nothing wrong w/ pull or release..............it all boils down to the care and caution that the shooter himself uses , not the type of trigger or wether he shoots a semi auto or a levergun
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've shot a release trigger. The guy who owned the gun had it because he flinched badly. This was a trap gun. Not for me either. He was good with it but shot trap ONLY.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson