This weekend's hunt- lots'a photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

This weekend's hunt- lots'a photos

Post by Mike D. »

I spent from Friday noon until noon today down at the San Benito ranch doing what we do during deer season. The weather is changing, so instead of 100+º it was nice and cool with foggy mornings and highs in the low 80s. I can't say why, but deer have been relatively scarce this year. Some years it's not unusual to see 10-12 legal bucks on every foray, but not this season. Despite the scarcity, three bucks were taken this weekend, all forkies. That makes four for the year, with only one weekend left. I'll try to make some sense of my photos. :roll:

We made a hunt on Friday afternoon late and only saw 3 does. There were many tarantulas out and about and we were very careful not to run over them. I picked one up and let it crawl up my arm and onto my neck, freaking out my huntin' buddy. He thought that they would bite, but they certainly do not unless forced to. it was late, so no photos that evening.

On Saturday we drove up a ridge before first light, topping out just before dawn. The valleys below were covered in a picturesque blanket of thick fog. In this pic you will see the San Benito Valley, immediately below and the Salinas Valley in the distance, Only the tallest hills are poking up out of the foggy sea.
Fingers of fog are protruding into the upper reaches of the SBV. This is looking across toward the neighbor's ranch. One of our access roads is visible on the next ridge over, and the adjacent property begins about a mile out.
Sunrise is minutes away.

Continuing up the ridge, we stopped and glassed the canyons for bucks. Only one was spotted and he was a small fork at 545 yds on my rangefinder. This is my partner's new Yamaha Rhino. Believe or not, he found it on Craigslist and drove up to OR to pick it up. There are two others on the ranch, but we let other hunters use them and the jeep.
We stopped and walked at several locations but saw only a few does. Oh, I nearly forgot that on the way out we spied a bunch of pigs coming up out of the river and rodeod 'em for a while, laughing like crazy. We headed them off and they veered over toward a back gate where we knew another few hunters were heading towards. Too dark for pics. :lol:

It takes a few hours to get to the top, where the big pines are, but no deer sign at that location. We did find a lioness' tracks with at least one cub tagging along. Both us and the neighbors agree that we have a cat problem. My buddy had seen a big buck the prior weekend and we did our best to hunt him up, but no luck there, either. At 0945, as we tooled along the road, I saw a bucks horns sticking up out of the tall grass about 40 yds off the road. He was still bedded but his body was invisible. I told Dick to shoot it, but he wanted me to take it. I stepped out of the vehicle, grabbed my .45-90 out of the zipped up rifle bag on the back and levered in a cartridge. At that the buck stood up and he looked perfect for a bunch of jerky. So, BA-WHOOM, down he went. My bud watched through his binocs and saw the blood pour out of the perfect shoulder shot. Wouldn't you know it, but the darned thing disappeared. I walked over where he was hit and saw a blood trail the a user of braille could'a seen. The little bugger has slid down into a ravine and ended up under a deadfall oak branch. The buck was dead on his hooves when hit, but still fell off the little flat and into the gulch. I tossed off the branch, put the gun back in the rig and got out my tools.
I gutted him and it was all we could do to drag the heavy little buck up where I could swing a rope around the horns to use the Rhino to drag him up to where we could toss him into the rig. WHEW! :)

Here we are, back at the skinning shed, doing the hard part. Take a gander at what a Barnes 250 TSX does to a deer. I have NO idea where the bullet went, it just kept on a going. The deer's lungs were "dee=stroyed". :o
After it was all said and done, there was 95 lbs of hanging meat. It will sit in the cooler at 40º until next weekend. We'll debone it, grind it up, and make jerky and salami. :)

This morning we saw this little buck enjoying a drink at one of the stock ponds and I was contented to take a few pics and be on the way.
All of a sudden we heard a BOOM and saw a bullet hit the water past the deer and it took off. Oops, some other guys saw him a popped the little guy. A youngster bagged his first buck. :D Image
I snapped that quick pic and we went over to visit a neighbor 5 miles up the trail and through his gate. He has a little over 12,000 acres and his family home sits in a valley at 3100' elevation. Ours is at 400', so they are a bit cooler. No power in there, it's all solar. 8)

Some of my photos failed to translate, but you get the picture. A fun time was had by all. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Re: This weekend's hunt- lots'a photos

Post by dr walker »

That is beautiful country.......
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Congratulations, Mike! Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt with us. That looks like fine country!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Very nice! Great recount. Congrats to all!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I forgot all about the pigs, but one of the visitors dropped a small sow that weighed 125 lbs out of the bunch we wrangled in their direction. By the time we got back it was all done and hanging in the cooler. I didn't even hear the shot, just as no one heard mine some three hours and several miles distant.Image My little buck is on the right. Here's the head. The forks were 19" high and 18" wide. Image Not a bad little beast, he should make some tasty jerky and salami. Of course, the backstraps will come home with me next Sunday. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Nice "little" forkie! I wouldn't mind finding a "little" one like that.

Sounds like a good time for all!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My lack of pre-reading posts is why some photos don't work out. :oops: Here is the Rhino that we rode in this weekend. Well, one of them, anyway. The bag hangin' on the cage keeps the guns clean and dust free. Image
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Congratulations, good pictures and story Mike. Do you happen to know where the rifle pack came from? I have a Polaris Ranger and need one of those.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Beautiful country and great pictures Mike. Thanks for sharing.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow - looks like a little slice of heaven. Congrats! :mrgreen:
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Top spot, love the fog in the valley.
That Yamie looks like it would make a great little tractor for getting around the place.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

beautiful area, nice recount of your hunt. thanks for sharing. gets the blood flowing. blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Bruce wrote:Congratulations, good pictures and story Mike. Do you happen to know where the rifle pack came from? I have a Polaris Ranger and need one of those.
Bruce, it comes from Cabela's. Quad Gear ATV rifle bag. Heavy padding and one gun slips in each end. No contact with each other and they remain perfectly clean and dust free. There are 3 pockets on the front to stash gear, ropes, TP, and other "essentials". :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

first 2 pics are awesome.....
and nice pile of venison!
congrats!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's some beautiful country. Congratulations on a successful hunt!
NRA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I enjoyed the report and the photos, Mike. Glad to see you took that deer with a 45-90. Next time you should treat us to a photo of the 45-90 as well!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Neat everything Mike :D Thankyou :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

KirkD wrote:I enjoyed the report and the photos, Mike. Glad to see you took that deer with a 45-90. Next time you should treat us to a photo of the 45-90 as well!
Kirk, I was deadly afraid of getting blood on that '86. There was blood everywhere in the grass, as well as on the buck. The entry hole was nearly 1/4th the size of the exit. No wonder he fell immediately. The heart and lungs were pulverized. My deer season is over, but I'm going down again on Friday to do the jerky and maybe shoot a pig, I don't know. This time, I take another Winchester or two. The .45-90 is the same ELTD that I bought earlier this year.Image
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Too cool! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice report, Mike. Good to see those ole levers still doing what they were designed to do. Thanks for the report and double thanks for the picks.
Old Law Dawg
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Mike good to see some game on the ground. The deer were kinda scarce on my place last year too.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great report and photos Mike. That little buck will indeed make some great jerky and salami.

I kinda dislike the early deer seasons in CA. Your's started in September and mine will start on 2 October and run for two weeks. There will be mostly hot weather during those two weeks. I wish all CA deer seasons would start in November.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Ed, ours started August 11th down on the Central Coast. I have only bothered to go out twice, but some of the neighbors are only hunting today until the close on Sunday. I'm going down tomorrow to help others maybe bag their buck and to process mine. I hear that the temps will be back in the high 90s. Not looking forward to that.

I went from one extreme to the other this week. Came back from the ranch on Sunday and promptly drove up to the Sierra cabin Monday AM. Stayed there until yesterday and did the Farmer's Market today. After this weekend I'm slowin' way down until it cools some and we go after pigs.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The season has now ended for us. No bucks worth shooting were seen by anyone in the area this weekend. The white jeep broke down on us after sundown on Friday evening at about 3 miles from the house. Cell phone won't work up there so we grabbed our guns and started hoofing it down the hill. Binocs, ammo, coolers, jackets and all were left in the jeep. It was warm, so no shirts or coats were needed, anyway. After a couple of miles and a few sore toes from going down the steep road we got to a spot that overlooks about 100 miles toward the Pacific and got reception, so we were able to call the house and be "rescued". :lol:

One of our main objectives for this weekend was to make jerky from the buck I shot last week. That we did. We quartered him on Friday afternoon, and removed the back straps and tenderloins. After going up and retrieving the jeep Saturday morning We boned out the meat, tossed the scraps to the critters, and ground up the 50 lbs of good stuff remaining. The jeep has a carburetor "issue" that causes it to load up on a steep grade and die. I was barely able to nurse it down to the barn, all the time coughing and spitting and belching black smoke. It will be dealt with later. One big tub of ground venison all spiced up and awaiting the jerky shooter.Image :roll:

I went along for the ride yesterday evening, but left my gun in the rig while we watched and little spike/fork and a couple of does. The sun was setting in the background when I snapped this photo. My Browning .45-90 carbine was covered with tarweed "goo" and I finally cleaned it up an hour ago. :) Image
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

Congrats on a great hunt, thats some beautiful country in those pictures.
Death Before Dishonor
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great photos and story, Mike - and thanks for the outing!