Range Report - Marlin 39

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Range Report - Marlin 39

Post by JohnB »

So...

I took the little 39 to the range today...

Started at 35 feet, just I could get an idea of how she would shoot...as well as me. It has been a long time since I fired a rifle and I wanted to be sure I was using good mechanics.

She printed well, seemed to stay inside an inch, if I took my time.

First surprise - The rifle preferred high velocity Federal versus standard velocity CCI. The groups were definitely tighter with the HV stuff. That was unexpected...

The front sight has a ivory bead, which seems cool, but is not so easy to see. And it seems to be bent a bit to the left, right near the top. Now sure what to do about that...

Action is slick and I had only one failure to feed. The CCI soft point got stuck nose first and would not feed. No biggie.

Trigger pull is nice but a bit heavy, no grit, no creep, just solid.

Interesting observation - The rifle was hitting left of bead with a six o'clock hold on the center. Drifted the rear sight to the left, still printed left. The rear sight is not "centered" on the barrel, but moving to center made no difference to POI.

Now, I understand why people put scopes on a 22...small targets disappear at 75 feet! May look into a vintage scope to fill those dang holes on the top of the barrel!!

Pictures to follow, once the battery is charged...
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Re: Range Report - Marlin 39

Post by LeverBob »

JohnB...tonight I'm listening to Baroque music with 2 fingers of a very good whiskey(I seldom drink), read your post & delighted in it.

My 39A is vintage 1950 (same as me, I'm older by 3 mo.s) & I delight in it. My other is a 1954 Rem 121 Rem. sold to me by a college buddy (now deceased). Both are delightful & my fav.s.

Your post brought warm memories of why I adore the .22.

I'm very glad that you have found such a fine rifle & gain great pleasure from it. I look forward to more.

LB
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Adjusting the rear sight makes the bullet move in the same direction that you moved it.

Byron
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Very Nice! After reading your report I am putting my Model 63 in the case to bring with me to the cabin in the morning. I plan on shooting my 308, and a .22 LR is always a treat to fire while barrels cool. I don't think a person ever has enough 22's!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice report.....I had to pass on a 39 this past summer...
very nice gun....wish they made them in 22 mag

dont forget the pics!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

John,
If this is a Model 39 (no "A") and it does not have an "HS" serial number prefix or has had the bolt replaced with one from a 39A you will eventually crack your bolt, from using high velocity ammo. Just an fyi
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

jdad wrote:John,
If this is a Model 39 (no "A") and it does not have an "HS" serial number prefix or has had the bolt replaced with one from a 39A you will eventually crack your bolt, from using high velocity ammo. Just an fyi
Actually, it is a 39 and it has an HS prefix. I did my homework prior to taking my baby out, but thanks for looking out for me.

Here are some of the pics...

#1 - 35 feet

#2 - 75 feet

The top group (around the 9) represents the adjustments to the rear sight...

#3 - 75 feet

Back to original sight picture...

Obviously, I need to practice. Consistency is not my best....yet :oops:

And just because...

"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nice looking lever!!! :mrgreen: