What can I expect with a 16" 30-30 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

What can I expect with a 16" 30-30 Marlin

Post by kemosabi45 »

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with a 16" 30-30?
What is the ballistics and what is the drop?
Will the Hornady Leverevolution work in the 16" or is it made for the longer barrels?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What can I expect with a 16" 30-30 Marlin

Post by Nath »

I have owned two Win 94 trappers and one 336 20" (trappers 16"). I never noticed any diference. To about 150yds the critters will never tell!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The shorter barrel will be somewhat louder as well. The velocity loss is minor but there. OS did a chronograph test of the three major barrel lengths some time back. I can't find it now.

For normal hunting ranges the trajectory difference is negligible.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

You will lose a little over 50fps compared to a 20" barrel. I did some chronograph tests a while back using 150 grain factory loads and that was the result.

In summary, there is nearly no real difference in range, power, trajectory, or anything else, between a 20" and 16" barrelled 30-30 Winchester. The real difference is handling; the shorter barrel is more handy, and the longer barrel rests on the target a bit better. Which one do I use? The 20" barreled version gets the nod simply because it sits outside the safe and the Trapper sits in it. Besides, my carbine is a pre-64 and is more pleasurable to use. Ballistics has nothing to do with.

Now, if I spent more time in the saddle, like I used to, the Trapper would get the nod. Have fun.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I bought a 16" Marauder from TNBigBore last year, and I have absolutely no problem hitting a bowling pin at 100 yds using 150 gr factory Remington ammo or my 150 gr handloads that are loaded to factory velocity. The rear sight is set in elevator notch 3 from the shallow end. I put a dab of almond appliance touch-up enamel on the gold bead and visibility is good to go.

Smooth little carbine that my heirs will have to deal with.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

Thanks that is great info and exactly what I wanted to know. I did fire 2 test shots and you're right it is definitely louder.
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

The deer I shot with my old 16" youth model Marlin 30-30 didn't know the difference. Sorry, I don't have any ballistic data but it worked fine at relatively close range.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a 16" Winchester 94 and have found that the only difference is the precision of aiming due to sight differences. I think the sights, being a littler more straight & square than the standard Winchester carbine sights are responsible for how well I can shoot this little carbine.

The Trapper has some great sights... and I've been able to bang steel out to 200yards with it, no problem. 300 yards was a bit "spotty"... and well, 500 was a hope & prayer only anyway!

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!