Has anybody chrono'd this load ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Has anybody chrono'd this load ....

Post by J Miller »

Has anybody chronographed this load from a 20" or 24" barreled rifle?

45 Colt:
22 grs H110, 300 gr cast bullet?

Just curious what the results from a rifle is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Has anybody chrono'd this load ....

Post by Old Savage »

+ 300-400 from your 7 1/2" pistol.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I shoot that exact load in my 20" Win. Trails End. It runs 1625 fps in mine.

Scratch that. I checked my notes and then remembered that was 23.0 gr. which is a tad over max data for a 300 gr. jacketed bullet.
Last edited by TedH on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Lee 300 gr GC bullet, 21.5 H110, seated to shorter OAL, 1475 fps from a 24" Marlin. The same round ran a tiny shade under 1300 fps out of a 7.5" BH.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OS,

The problem is, I don't have a chronograph so I have no idea what it's doing from my 7.5" BH.

TedH, A-Jack,

Thanks guys, just what I wanted to know.

These velocities put this load in the same category as the 300gr bullet load from a 45-90. That moves out at 1554 fps. So much for nonsense you can't hunt with a .45 Colt rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

you can't hunt with a .45 Colt rifle.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I've hunted with less, and I seem to recall history telling us that people hunted with 45 cal round balls in flintlocks before cartridge guns came along and with sticks and string before that.

Joe, I think its way past time you picked a better class of idiot to listen to, otherwise you'll end up trading all your rifles on a howitzer so you can have an effective gun for hunting rabbits. :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I couldn't find where I'd chronoed the load in my Rossi carbine. At least I didn't record it. 300 gr. over 23 gr. H110 goes over 1680 fps. I think it does go over 1550 fps and you're right, it is the .45-90 BP in a short light rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gundownunder wrote:

I've hunted with less, and I seem to recall history telling us that people hunted with 45 cal round balls in flintlocks before cartridge guns came along and with sticks and string before that.

Joe, I think its way past time you picked a better class of idiot to listen to, otherwise you'll end up trading all your rifles on a howitzer so you can have an effective gun for hunting rabbits. :lol:
Bob,
That was an attempt at sarcasm :oops: . Kind of like we throw back at those who say the 30-30 isn't powerful enough any more.
But a howitzer, now that's an idea. How about this one?
Marine Artillery unit.jpg
Think that would do for bunnies? :D :D :D
Hobie wrote:I couldn't find where I'd chronoed the load in my Rossi carbine. At least I didn't record it. 300 gr. over 23 gr. H110 goes over 1680 fps. I think it does go over 1550 fps and you're right, it is the .45-90 BP in a short light rifle.
Hobie, I know this must have been common knowledge for many people, but I was sitting here letting my brain idle in neutral when all of a sudden I just had an epiphany. That load is supposed to do, like OS said, 300 to 400 fps more than a handgun, so if that load does 1200 from a hand gun then that added velocity would push it over 1500 and ...... Duh ..... that's 45-90 level of performance. I got me a condensed version of a big bore lever gun here.

Now, what to do with this info? I gotta check to see if this load is accurate from my rifles, then well I just gotta go shoot somthin.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I don't have your exact bullet, but I ran a QuickLoad test with the RCBS 305 grain cast for the .45 Colt using the specified powder charge and I got about 27kpsi and 1500fps from a 20" barrel. Obviously that's just a ballpark because I don't know your OAL or your exact bullet config, etc.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The bullet I'm using is on the right in the pic below:
Lee 255 and 300 RF.JPG
They are seated to 1.562" COAL. I seated them sort to reduce the space between the bullet and powder.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

J Miller wrote:
gundownunder wrote:

Bob,
That was an attempt at sarcasm :oops: . Kind of like we throw back at those who say the 30-30 isn't powerful enough any more.
Hobie wrote:I couldn't find where I'd chronoed the load in my Rossi carbine. At least I didn't record it. 300 gr. over 23 gr. H110 goes over 1680 fps. I think it does go over 1550 fps and you're right, it is the .45-90 BP in a short light rifle.
Hobie, I know this must have been common knowledge for many people, but I was sitting here letting my brain idle in neutral when all of a sudden I just had an epiphany. That load is supposed to do, like OS said, 300 to 400 fps more than a handgun, so if that load does 1200 from a hand gun then that added velocity would push it over 1500 and ...... Duh ..... that's 45-90 level of performance. I got me a condensed version of a big bore lever gun here.

Now, what to do with this info? I gotta check to see if this load is accurate from my rifles, then well I just gotta go shoot somthin.

Joe

Joe, I remember the first one I touched off in the Marlin quite well. I was well used to 250s at 1500 fps, but stepping up to the Lee 300 (which actually weighs something like 318 as my buddy cast em, harder than woodpecker lips and quenched), got my attention pronto. It also reminded me of the limitations of a peep sight when wearing BRAND NEW eyeglasses (that day), which I scratched with a little love tap from tne tang-mounted Marbles.

Then I ran a few through the 7.5" BH, wrists rested on a fence rail and thought "not bad" but yeah buddy they torque it a bit skyward (I did wear my padded palm, chopped fingers bicycle gloves). Just fer grins I loaded the last round in a 5.5" Vaquero and one-handed it (forgot the glove too). That one bloodied my knuckle but good.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I fired some loaded over 21.5grs last time I was at the range. I've got the old XR3 grip frame on my BH and that is a hand full. Not bad enough to be concerned about, but you best not let it get away from you.
I fired 5 or 6 from my Win 94 AE and you're right, they do get your attention. The Marlin "should" be a bit tamer as it's got the 20" octagon barrel rather than the 16" skinny round one.

Should be interesting when I get to the range.

Joe
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

J Miller wrote:The bullet I'm using is on the right in the pic below:
Lee 255 and 300 RF.JPG
They are seated to 1.562" COAL. I seated them sort to reduce the space between the bullet and powder.

Joe
Ah, that's the one with the really wide meplat. Ok then, 25.4kpsi and 1490fps from a 20" tube is the estimate. That big metplat means there's more lead forward of the case mouth and therefore a bit more powder space ... obviously. So the pressure is a bit lower in this new estimate even though I shortened the OAL to your 1.562". It shows the case as being 96% filled.

I'm using a case length of 1.266" and a water capacity of a fired case of 41.6 grains.
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
J Miller wrote:The bullet I'm using is on the right in the pic below:
Lee 255 and 300 RF.JPG

Joe
Ah, that's the one with the really wide meplat. Ok then, 25.4kpsi and 1490fps from a 20" tube is the estimate. That big metplat means there's more lead forward of the case mouth and therefore a bit more powder space ... obviously. So the pressure is a bit lower in this new estimate even though I shortened the OAL to your 1.562". It shows the case as being 96% filled.
96% filled sounds pretty close. I did quite a bit of measuring and there seems to be quite a bit of space between the powder and bullet when it was seated long. That's why I seated this batch deeper.

Joe
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

That looks like a really useful lump of lead. It would be interesting to see how far it would travel through a sizable animal such as moose in US or camels in OZ.
Lee lists the 300 gr GC as having a BC of .233 and with the Pointblank ballistic calculator I get the following figures with a 1500 FPS starting load.
1499 FPE at muzzle, 1002 FPE at 125 yds, and with a 125 yd zero its only 3" high at 75 yds and 3.63 low at 150 yds.

and Joe, I know of some rabbit warrens here in Oz were that howitzer would work real nice :lol:
Bob
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bob,

Thanks for the ballistic data. So when I get to the range I can sight it in at 75 yards and be good to go out to 150. Coool! I'm actually hoping to use this rifle and load some day. But at any rate it's going to be a different experience as I've never really messed with this heavy of a .45 Colt load.

With that howitzer, one good direct hit and you could have bunny stew for a month.

Joe
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Bob, I'm surprised at you! You certainly must know from watching "Monty Python & The Holy Grail" that those rabbits are treacherous, savage & thick-skinned creatures, capable of rending humans limb from limb, unless bribed with lettuce & carrots, of course, don't you? jd45
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know about Monty Python, but I used to hunt wabbits fer a livin' and I know they can use the force. You aim straight at one and using the force he can bend that bullet around his head with a mere flick of his ear. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Bob
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Bob, thanx for that info. I wasn't aware of it. BTW, if you want several good laughs, see if you can't rent "Monty Python & The Holy Grail". I'll admit it's kinda stupid, but this & their Flying Circus TV series from back in the day is the only British-type humor I enjoy. You might enjoy it, as well. jd45
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

For the last three years I've been shooting this same load/bullet combo out of my 20" Rossi Carbine and 24" rifle. I didn't find the recoil too severe, even with the crescent butt of the rifle. The rifle mag tube did walk forward a bit, think I finally got it secure this year.

What kind of accuracy are you guys getting ? My carbine will put three shots inside a 3" orange bull at 100 yards from the bench, the rifle (when the tube stays put) does a bit better--I have a Marble's tang peep on it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

CaptainFinn,

I haven't tried this load in my rifles ... yet. I've got a couple different variations of this load put together and intend to try them at the next trip to the range.

Joe
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Joe,

For what it's worth - QuickLoad predicts this for a Lee C452-300 cast bullet, 22 gr. H-110:
20" bbl: 1476 fps
24" bbl: 1519 fps
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks John.

Joe
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Always a pleasure, Joe.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:
gundownunder wrote:

Bob,

Joe
Yeah, you need to go HUNTING!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah Hobie, I surely do. I'm gonna be ready and I'm hoping somebody in MO or IN invites me. Nothing but shotguns, muzzle loaders and handguns here in IL. I don't have any of the first two, and I don't feel good enough about my handgun skills any more to try that.
We'll see what the future brings.

Joe
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Coming late with similar info. My 20" SS 45 with 23 gr of H110 and a 300gr XTP jacketed gives 1700FPS and about 1849 FP of energy.(associated with a big bullet hole). This load can be found in some literature and suggestion is abt 28Kpsi.. Functions well and doesnot stick or act untoward. Havent tried it in the Redhawk. It is apples and pears comparison, but they are at least similar fruit. I have but stuffed into a limbsaver pad because 5# carbine a nd steel butplate in a bit uncomfortable off bench.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rogn wrote:Coming late with similar info. My 20" SS 45 with 23 gr of H110 and a 300gr XTP jacketed gives 1700FPS and about 1849 FP of energy.(associated with a big bullet hole). This load can be found in some literature and suggestion is abt 28Kpsi.. Functions well and doesnot stick or act untoward. Havent tried it in the Redhawk. It is apples and pears comparison, but they are at least similar fruit. I have but stuffed into a limbsaver pad because 5# carbine a nd steel butplate in a bit uncomfortable off bench.
rogn,
Thanks for the data. I've shot a few 30,000 cup 300gr loads from my lever guns and they do let you know when they go off.

I'm beginning to like this load. I can't wait to try it.

I'll bet that's the load that jarred the mag tube loose on your rifle.

Joe