Another rust question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Another rust question

Post by Rusty »

Jr. carried an old H&R Topper 12 ga. as a truck gun for a while and nothing happened to it for several months. He carried it in a soft zipper up case with the case left open on the end so everything could breath. Then a short while ago he bought a Remington 700 in .223 that has a black non glare finish on it. Well after a few weeks in the same case he noticed a few little rust spots on the barrel. I'm wondering if the non glare finish should be kind of "loaded" with oil to make it more rust proof?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another rust question

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Shiny finishes are more resistant to rusting. Dull bead blasted steel will hold moisture longer and rust easier. A good oil film with the excess wiped off should do the trick. :wink:
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rusty,

Those soft material (fluff if you will) lined cases have ruined more guns than most of us haver ever seen. Some rust sooner and more than others, but the lining will hold whatever moisture is on the gun when it is put inside. The same can be said about some of the leather cases. The chemical used to process (tan) them is sometimes very corrosive.

My rule of thumb. Don't use lined soft cases. Don't use anything but traditional, vegatable or oil tannned leather cases. Don't use cases.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Bruce,
My experience is not the same as yours (and most others). I bought my first handgun about 1968. It was a Ruger Super Blackhawk with the high-gloss finish. I still have that gun and have kept it in a fleece lined case since I bought it and it still looks as good today as it did in 1968.

About 15 years ago, I sprayed the fleece with a silicone spray. I seem to remember that it originally was silicone treated. There have been periods of many months when the case wasn’t even opened. All that makes me wonder whether it’s the case as much as the environment in which it’s kept.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks, I'll mention that about the cases to him, but as a precaution since I had already warned him about them, he was leaving the end open already.

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Chas. I'd say you're lucky or live in a very dry climate. My experience goes along with Bruce.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Anyone use rig? the best stuff ive ever found to stop rust.
g rice
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I dont know what helps the Remington matte finish. They get surface rust even in very dry climates.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A "rust" question from "Rusty". Imagine that! :wink:

I've used rig in the past for long-term storage of firearms in less than ideal conditions. It worked very well! :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dont laugh too hard now!------------------

For "long term" storage for handguns have found the best way to store is spray down good with lemon pledge wipe down,and put them in a large vaccum sealed bag and seal it with the food sealer.(seal it and forget it)
Whats really cool about this is you can stack like 10 or 15 handguns right on top of each other on the upper pistol section of gun safe and they dont get damaged because they are protected by only the bag material touching each other.(no finish damage)Neat when your gun safe is getting full!
I leave extra length so I can reuse same bag up to 5 times.Takes about 20 seconds to reseal it!

For long term storage of long guns have honestly had the best luck with "very thin coat" of vaseline on anything metal on outside.(pledge on outside of stock wiped down)also has never bothered the synthetic material like on the AR15's one bit.

Short term storage use lemon pledge then wiped down good on outside of gun and a very fine coat of amsoil 0-20 synthetic weight oil (ya I know :lol: )keep mine in an old tin long nozzled pump can,then wiped down on inside of gun! One quart lasts forever(then light spray of slick 50)run clean patch down barrel before shooting!
No rust problems here! :wink:
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Chas.,

Rusty lives in Florida. As a rule, carry it out side and it will have moisture on it. Of course that is on a dry day. :lol: If it is a normal muggy day, it will get moisture on it inside a house or vehicle. We have trouble even getting a scoped rifle out of the truck w/o it fogging up. I help out a local shop and see rusted guns more often than not. The worst are the ones stored in lined cases (fleece, foam etc..) or commercial tanned leather.

I have often thought about scabbards and such and have wondered why we never see old pictures of Crackers using them. I have come to the conclusion that they found none of them would work in our environment.

I do believe that products such as CLP or Kroil greatly reduce the risk of rust, but I apply them monthly and generously. I have found silicone to be effectice for inside storage, but it seems to dissipate fairly quickly if you carry the firearm outside for extended periods.

Dr Walker,

I have noticed the same conditions w/ the Remington matte finish. I had one as a truck gun and it would rust within days of being cleaned and lubed.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Carrying a gun under the seat, the worst thing that can happen is spilling pop or beer on it.
Both will eat it like acid. If it gets into the bore the rifling will be ruined.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We have a book here at the house written by a fellow named "Totch" Brown who grew up in the Florida Everglades during the depression. He talks about using lard on their guns to keep them from rusting. I'm not sure I'd want to try that today though since most lard purchased in the store has citric acid as a preservative. I doubt the citric acid would do much to help the finish of the gun.

I just can't believe that Remington finish does so little to safeguard the gun. There's something about that old fashioned blue job.