Only slightly OT - Spotting scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Only slightly OT - Spotting scope

Post by AmBraCol »

In a week's time I'll be heading north to the US for a couple of weeks. There's a couple items I hope to bring back with me, one of which is an affordable spotting scope for use at the range. I'd like something capable of spotting .177 caliber holes at 50 meters, but don't know how much magnification that would take. The budget is limited so Zeis, Swaroski and such are out - by a mile. I've seen some listed around $30-$50 or so online, but don't know if that'd be a waste of $$ or not. Use would be only on the range, no trecking through the rockies looking for trophy mulies or elk, just leisurely excursions to the gun club to get some shooting in. It'd be nice to not have to walk clear down there and back each shot just to see where I'm hitting and what not.

Any tips or leads would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You want it to resolve what size bullet hole at what range? IME it is that which sets the price!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Boy! Can I sympathize!!
Trying to find a bright ,clear spotter w/o taking out a new mortgage is next to impossible. I've studied on it and rationalized that I'll never be able to afford one of the top brands so I've re evaluated my criteria based on what I've learned.
1. No variables
2. mid range power
3. then buy the best I can afford.
Good luck. Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

An often overlooked opportunity to get a really great spotting scope is to search ebay every day for an older Redfield. These are easily recognized by their red crinkle finish. They are usually 15x45 power. I have had one of these for over 30 years and wouldnt trade for any of todays low to mid priced scopes, they are just excellent optically. You can find them pretty regularly on ebay and expect to pay $200-250 depending on condition,, if you can find one with the original stand and case so much the better but expect to pay a little more. Much better, IMHO, than trying to get by with a cheap Chinese import.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I don't know if they're still sold, but Sportsmans Guide used to sell a cheap Russian Military 15-30x variable that while a little clunky, wasn't all that bad,(for the price). Even came with it's own tripod.
At 50 yds you could see holes on target easily, probably to 100, though I didn't try that.

It ain't elegant, or maybe even politically correct, but it was cheap, and worked better then it you'd think.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

check out cheaperthandirt.com they have some good prices but can't reccomend any.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

What's a meter? :lol:

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I don't think it'd take much to see your .177 holes at 50 meters.

Couple of weeks ago I was (barely) able to see .243 holes at about 350 yards with my 6-24X scope set on 24X. Rifle had to be on a rest to do this. I really had to have focus and all perfect and then very difficult.

I was amazed I could do this with this scope.

I have been the 60 dollar spotting scope route. Sent it back.

Don McCullough
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

There's a website that specializes in spotting scopes on which I saw an older technology Nikon for $350. I think it was a 20-80 power, but no stand. Course you can get a cheap camera tripod to put it on. I understand that you want to get the biggest objective lens you can for brightness & clarity, like 80mm, (what the hell is a milimeter???), if possible. Course, the bigger the objective, the more the money. Good luck, jd45
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

pharmseller
Levergunner 2.0

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's a meter?

Quinn
Isn't it one of those things you put quarters in so they dont't tow your car? :wink: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis