OT - book - Journal of a Trapper - Good Book!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

OT - book - Journal of a Trapper - Good Book!

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

In the course of going through all 440 some pages of posts on this forum over the last couple of months or so I found a posting where a forum member had recommended reading this book by Osborne Russell. I do not remember who recommended it but I am sure enjoying reading it. I am about 2/3 through it. The Wichita Public Library had a copy so that made it very convenient.

Thanks!!,
Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - book - Journal of a Trapper - Good Book!

Post by Cimarron Red »

Darin,

Journal of a Trapper is an excellent book. It's been 20 years since I read it, so I'm overdue for a re-read.

Another good book of the period is Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia.
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Hi Cimarron Red,

Thanks for the tip! I really enjoy books like this.

Take care,
Darin

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Darin,

You're surely welcome!

CR
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Same here; some of the 'book tips' I get from this forum lead to very enjoyable reading.

One of the chit-chat things I often talk about with a patient while we're settling into an office visit for a physical or to jabber about their cholesterol with them, is to ask if they've read any good books lately. (Of course, having more multi-tasking sense than impatient men do, most of the women are quietly reading something when I walk into the room, so I can see what they're reading.) I've been introduced to some very interesting books there, as well - particularly the James Thom 'historical fiction' ones dealing with the Revolutionary war to Civil war era, many of which center around my home state of Indiana.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I can visualize that:

As the latex glove is slipped on, "So, read any good books lately?"

"Elbows on the table now"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Another writer I've enjoyed is Theodore Roosevelt. His "Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail" is one of my favorties. I have, and have read several others by Roosevelt.

Charles Russell wrote quite a lot of interesting tales of his life in Montana in the 1880's-onward. His artwork used to illustrate the tales are quite good also. "More Rawhides" has been another of my favorites to re-read since I discovered it in my folks book case as a kid.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

I stopped in a pawn shop this morning to see what old guns the might have. Nothing old but a Remington Model 12 .22 and a Winnie Model 67A. I got to talking to the owner about old guns and history and he brought out a book on Law Enforcement Officers of Wichita, KS. I asked how he got the book and he said you had to be WPD to get one. A former WPD officer named Roger something researched data for 2 years and put this interesting book together. It went back to before Wyatt Earp was a police officer in town. The interesting part was about Wyatt Earp getting fired for stealing fines that he was supposed to pay to the city after he collected them from people. The book spoke of high taxes or fees on prostitution and that Earp's brother(s) were involved in. Looked like another book I would like to read. I still need to finish Josephine Earp's diary. That is a good book also.

Darin