OT - Model 8 or 81 for a lefty???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - Model 8 or 81 for a lefty???

Post by RSY »

I'm on the hunt for a Model 8 and just got to thinking about potential issues with my purty face vs. ejected cases. Anyone know how these rifles usually throw spent cases??? Angle, etc.?

Thanks, amigos,
Scott
Hobie

Re: OT - Model 8 or 81 for a lefty???

Post by Hobie »

RSY wrote:I'm on the hunt for a Model 8 and just got to thinking about potential issues with my purty face vs. ejected cases. Anyone know how these rifles usually throw spent cases??? Angle, etc.?

Thanks, amigos,
Scott
Mine drops factory brass out the side, right next to the gun and at your feet. That was Winchester stuff though and it is pretty weak. I don't think I'd want to shoot it left-handed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Generaly down and to the right. My left handed buddy has 3 and none bother him at all.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Shoot a long gun left-handed, and the Model 8 I had a long time ago (.25 Remington) threw the cases straight out to the right. No problem at all.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If you are quick and fast you can catch them with your teeth and retrieve the brass. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I asked the lefty yesterday about his 8's and he said he has never been hit with a piece of brass from one of them. Actually he said he rarley loses brass as it is all in the same pile, not all over the countryside.

Just for your info they made more M94 Winchesters in one year than all the model 8's ever made. The model 8 sold in 1924 for $51.20 and a Model 94 for $27.95, a Savage 99 T/D rifle for $46.15. and a Carbinbe M99 for $34.85. Most of the M8 sales were in the east and the north west. In the 1920's my wife's great uncle traded in his trapdoor for a new 35 Remington M8 and used it to kill one grizzley with 5 shots, the last shot to the head at 10 yards. He swore off grizzley hunting then.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

As a Lefty the only two Firearms to give me problems with ejected brass are my 550-1 Remington semi-auto 22. The 550-1 has a removable shell deflector, I only shot it a couple of times and removed that darn deflector. It was ejecting hot brass on my right forearm.

The other piece not very Lefty friendly is the M-1 Garand. The Garand ejects the hot brass to the back of my neck, they usually end-up in my shirt or jacket collar. The Garand is the only piece I shoot from the starboard side. I qualified in the Navy using a Garand shooting from the starboard side, kinda different but I did the unusual deed.

I have owned Remington 740's & 760's in the past and no problem.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Glad to see you around here again Scott!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

RSY,

Appears your question about how the brass flies outa the model 8 has been answered.

You may have read one of my posts about a guy named Ralph Edwards who lived in wilderness of British Columbia, Canada. On his way home after being discharged from the army around 1919 he bought a model 8. He killed many grizzlies with it. Said he counted 50 and then stopped counting. 35 Remington cartridge.

Crusoe Of Lonesome Lake and Ralph Edwards Of Lonesome Lake. Two great books available at Alibris.com or other rare book internet source.
Not expensive at all.

Guess Ralph didn't know his gun couldn't be depended on and the cartridge was too small for grizzlies. :D

Don McCullough
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Uncle Oly didn't think the gun was too small he just got flustered seeing all that bear and it took him all 5 to get the job done. He didn't think he was up to doing the job again!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

awp101 wrote:Glad to see you around here again Scott!
Thanks, sir. Hope you're doing well.

Scott