OT- Suspenders?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Suspenders?

Post by abcollector »

I am tired of wearing a jean belt and then wearing a handgun rig over or sometimes below my jean belt. :evil: It's just too bulky and on top of that, I can't access my jean pockets for keys or something else.
So I've thought of suspenders... Now I have to decide on the traditional type suspenders that attach at the front and rear or another type that attach under the arms at the waist. I've never worn suspenders so I have no clue which type and if they'll even help my first situation of eliminating the bulkiness of a gun belt on top of a jean belt.

What do you guys do that wear a gun belt rig?
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Suspenders?

Post by jkbrea »

I've always worn a paddle holster on the strong side because "inside the waist band" holster were uncomfortable and rubbed my skin raw. Recently I bought a Crossbreed IWB holster for a Springfield EMP. It really is very comfortable and hardly noticeable. I don't have to worry about exposing it when my tshirt rides up. It's kind of goofy looking but when you put it on, it's great. They custom make them for your particular gun. They have a web site and are great to deal with. Hope this helps. As far as supenders, I have no clue. :)
http://crossbreedholsters.com/
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

About any style of suspenders -- as long as they are sturdy -- are an absolutely great aid in carrying a heavy handgun all day long. Most of my heavy-gun toting comes in the fall during deer season, and I won't go without my suspenders! :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Walmart sells the USA made ones, Remington brand I think. They are pretty sturdy and hold up....can be used on any pants. I wear a T-Shirt tucked in to my pants, put on the suspenders, then a larger flowing button up shirt over the suspenders. A rig can be worn over the shirt in plain sight or under a large button up shirt for concealment. I use an Uncle Mike's Cordura version of the Three Persons rig, cross draw.

I am posteriorly challenged, so suspenders are a near medical necessity for me. It makes such an incredible difference when you are hunting or woods walking. You won't spend half of your time hiking up your pants and walking is tons easier when your pants are where they are supposed to be.
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

One of my favorite subjects! I am fat and no butt. My pants wont stay up no matter how tight I set my belt. In my working years as a lockheed guard I wore a rig for 35 years. The last number of years as I put on even more weight I took to wearing suspenders. First of all, I needed a seperate uniform gunbelt. It just dont work well for me to hang a holster on my pants belt. Then I used "Perry" suspenders. Hook the perrys to your pants belt. Wear a regular gunbelt with keepers over that. I used to get color coded ones that matched my uniform shirts. Since I had wiskers (top seniority) at work, they didnt stop me.
http://www.perrysuspenders.com/
Here is a ugly picture of how I do it nowdays in the boonies. Here I can open carry although I seldom do as I dont like to advertise. I also have a ccw and usualy just pack a snub s&w .38 if so inclined in my pants pocket.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't wear them now but have in the past. I found that the most sturdy ones were carried at Home Depot. I guess they sell them for people who wear heavy work belts but they work fine for holding up yer britches as well. A lot of the ones you find now days are made for dress pants rather than every day blue collar work type stuff. The dress up types just don't stand up to the daily grind in my experience.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's really dependent on what type of rig you're thinking of. I'm going to assume that you're not thinking about concealment. If you're wearing the holster on the pants belt, there are many styles to choose from; and with a separate gunbelt... the holster style can vary from a cross draw, straight hang, or canted forward or back and then you can get into western, modern or tactical. Your body type will probably play more a factor than most of us would like to admit, especially as it relates to comfort. Your best bet is to find a good shop that carries a lot of different holster types and styles and do the "try it on" thing. But, for general info, I'll try to share what I've found in the last forty years of wearin' guns for work and play. I've worn four basic types: Cowboy rigs, both traditional and buscadero, uniform types (Sam Browne), and plain clothes or undercover types. The first two use separate belts for pants and holster, the last only a belt holster (or shoulder holster).

A buscadero rig is generally worn below the pant's belt. With the holsters riding below the belt, there's not a lot of interference between the two belts (Buckles can be a different story). But, if you've got a gut or are short waisted, there can be. With the typical cop belt, ala "Sam Browne", you wear the gun belt right on top of the pant's belt, held to the pants belt with "keepers". The pants belt needs the smallest buckle that will work... it's strickly function, there ain't no "show". The original Sam Browne also used a shoulder strap to help hold the weight of the holster. Some state agencies still wear the complete rig, tho' most have now dropped the requirement for the shoulder strap. In the words of an administrator I knew, "... looks a little too "Gestapo" for our tastes." The traditional cowboy rig can also be worn in this fashion. But like the SB, the smaller, flatter the pants belt buckle the more comfortable it will be. The gun is best worn in a holster that keeps the grip above the belt line. Once again, body shape will dictate how comfortable or feasible this type rig will be, if you've got a gut of almost any size, the buckles can be downright aggravating! In this case, suspenders instead of a pants belt is a LOT more comfortable. You can sew buttons for traditional suspenders either inside or outside the waistband. The gunbelt can then be worn in any position that's comfortable. If you're sitting a lot, a crossdraw in front of the hip is good, depending on the crossdraw's angle. SASS rules have mandated that the CD holster be no more than 30º off the vertical... this isn't as comfortable as one at a 45º, especially for longer barrels. A "Duke" rig is very comfortable with short barreled revolvers or autos. My favorite 1911 holster is similar to a Duke, but is made to be worn on a pants belt.

For holsters to be worn on a pants belt, I like to have both the front and back of the holster supported with loops, so the belt slides thru them and can be held in position with one of the belt loops on the pants under the holster. The Bianchi International models I like best are the "Black Widow", (I have two, one each for a Combat Commander & a mdl 65 S&W), the "Shadow II". These are not necessarily concealment holsters, although with a well-fitted coat they can be. I wore them for both UC and plainclothes assignments. Both Bianchi and Safariland are great products and have a huge variety to choose from.

For my cowboy action rigs I wear either pants with a belt, pants with suspenders or in the case of my buckskins, neither, just the gunbelt.With that leather on leather deal, the belt doesn't go anywhere! I've worn my gunbelt with suspenders that have buttons on the inside of the pants like a quality suit, or outside like my canvas pants. I happen to like button suspenders. I just try to make sure that my gunbelt isn't pressing directly on the button. Clamp type suspenders seem to snap open on me, and sometimes buttons come off, in either case it's a hassle, but while the clamps can be re-snapped right away, they're far more aggravating... with the buttons, either keep a handy maiden & sewing kit around, or check them regularly for frayed stitching!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there abcollector -- I'm a huge fan of suspenders. I make my own suspender buttons that I can add or remove. Grommet the waist band and you can go either way, with or without a belt. I take them out before putting them in the washing machine so you don't hear them clunking around while in the dryer, or risk losing one. I generally use a leather suspender and remove the elastic panel in the rear and replace it with a piece of webbing. This makes for a great suspension harness. You still may have issues accessing your pockets with a gun belt, but it does make it easier to lift one side of the gun belt up to access a pocket. I sell the button set with 45-70 buttons for $30.00 including shipping and you can get the "suspender thingies" from Karla at http://www.purdygear.com for $15.00. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wind, that's just simply, INGENIOUS!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Although my goal wasn't concealment, I found that there wasn't anything on the market that I could find for 'chore' applications that was easy on and off with pants (belted or beltless).

Here's a solution I came up with for 'chore' applications, if that helps:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20515
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I'm a big fan (in theory) of suspenders but have a major problem with them. When I wear them they ....not to be indelicate.... rub my nipples raw and
IT HURTS. Even when wearing a shirt between the skin and suspenders. Something one just gets use to ?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have seldom not worn two shirts for all my life, an undershirt and my outer shirt, be it western or hawaiian. But, placement of the attachment point on the trousers shifts the suspender away from overly sensitive body parts. Just remember that if you move the buttons too far outboard, the suspenders tend to fall off the shoulders and then they're not doin' their job. Just like healthcare, one size does NOT fit all!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Sometimes I go concealed with a belt gun, really not often. When I do I wear the suspenders under my untucked shirt and over a t-shirt. But you want to give yourself a little "lead" time before you go to the bathroom or you may find yourself in a mess!