My Wilderness Outfit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

My Wilderness Outfit

Post by KirkD »

Just got my Mernickle cross draw holster recently ( http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ca/ca12.html ), to complete my rig for our family canoe trips into the remote wilderness. Shown in the photo is my belt made by a fellow in Cody. I had the belt custom made with extended stays in the wilderness in mind (i.e., a year or two) where all the cartridges I owned would be on the belt. It holds 20 rounds of 30-30 and 10 rounds of 45 Schofield cartridges. That would be enough to keep me in venison for several years, with plenty of rounds left over. I had it originally made for a strong side draw, but I like the cross draw position so much better in the bush, that I've flipped the belt around and use it like that. I know the style is to have the buckle on the other side, but I'm a bit thrifty and I really like the belt. The Mernickle ca12 holster holds an original first generation Colt SAA dating to 1882. This old Colt is a genuine 5 & 1/2" artillery that has been completely restored and is chambered for the 45 Schofield, which makes the old sixgun a legal antique here in Canada. I load the rounds to fire a 250 grain bullet out the barrel at 850 fps. Lastly, you can see Old Savage, my 30-30 carbine made in 1954. It is my general purpose, trunk and wilderness gun, equipped with a Lyman receiver sight that is so good, I feel like I'm cheating when I shoot with it. It has already put two 8-point bucks in the freezer. The knife and sheath were made by Chisholm's Trail http://www.westernleatherholster.com/co ... ie-knives/ and the knife has a Sambar Stag set of grips. That knife has cleaned and skinned three deer since I got it.

When I came in from taking the photo, I threw the belt across my old saddle from when I was growing up some 40 years ago. I thought, 'By gum, that looks nice! I'll just snap a photo of that", so here it is, like it or not ....

Last edited by KirkD on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
destroyer4570
Levergunner

Re: My Wilderness Outfit

Post by destroyer4570 »

Wow! That is a nice set up. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed seeing. Your right that picture of the belt and holster drapped over your saddle does look nice, it looks like that photo would make a nice wallpaper...One more thing. I just checked the website where you bought the knife, They have some beautiful knives and I would like to know, did you get both the knife and sheath from them as a set? I only ask because I wasn't sure if the price for just for the knife or if it was the price for the knife and sheath. Sorry for my questions it's just that your picture has inspired me to get something like that for myself. Again thanks for posting.
"ONE SHOT,ONE KILL"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk that is a fine looking rig, I'll bet it wears well sitting in a canoe or driving.I remember the belt when you got it and the holster matches just fine. That old Colt looks right at home with the 30wcf, they should take care of anything the north woods put on you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very sharp outfit Kirk! :mrgreen:
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Where could one find a belt like that? :mrgreen:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mich hunter wrote:Where could one find a belt like that? :mrgreen:
I imagine that there are various places that would make up a custom belt. I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, and maybe Malamute can correct me here, the fellow that made my belt only does it for a bit of a hobby, so I don't feel I have permission to mention his name. I do know another fellow in Canada who makes up custom belts however you like them, but I've not seen his belts, so I'd hesitate to recommend him. If Malamute gives me the go-ahead, I could pm you with the fellow in Cody.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice rig all the way around...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Perfect!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

destroyer4570 wrote:...One more thing. I just checked the website where you bought the knife, They have some beautiful knives and I would like to know, did you get both the knife and sheath from them as a set?
Both the knife and the sheath were made by Chisholm's Trail. I think the ones that are priced close to $200 and up include both the knife and the sheath, but there is some contact info at the bottom of the page and it would probably be best to talk to him directly. He is a friendly fellow and was a pleasure to deal with.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Very nice rig Kirk. I want one with the dual cartidge feature myself, just can't decide between the .45-70 and the '06.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

firefuzz wrote:Very nice rig Kirk. I want one with the dual cartidge feature myself, just can't decide between the .45-70 and the '06.
Rob, I had my loops made for the 45-70 cartridge, but they are tight enough to hold my 30-30 cartridges. The 30-06 is even thicker than the 30-30 so I would imagine that if you had it made for the 30-06, it would do fine with the 45-70 as well.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

KirkD wrote:
firefuzz wrote:Very nice rig Kirk. I want one with the dual cartidge feature myself, just can't decide between the .45-70 and the '06.
Rob, I had my loops made for the 45-70 cartridge, but they are tight enough to hold my 30-30 cartridges. The 30-06 is even thicker than the 30-30 so I would imagine that if you had it made for the 30-06, it would do fine with the 45-70 as well.
I think you're right, but don't tease...I'm out of fun money this month. :lol: I love my '86...but the '95 carbine project is really shaping up nice.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

That is a GOOD LOOKIN' outfit, Kirk! Is that a 2 1/2" belt or 3"? I know that outfit will handle most everything you can throw at it or wish from it.

The reason I'm so confident is that you have put togather pretty near exactly the same outfit as I've packed for 30+ years. The only difference is that I use 15 forty four loops for the mag or special and 9 loops for the 45-70 which will also hold my 348's and 45-90's if I wish. I just figured if my '86 is loaded up with 9 rounds and I have 9 more on my belt, along with 20 or 21 rounds of 44's, I'm pretty well set for pretty near anything :mrgreen:

My own belt (El Paso Saddlery) is a 3" which rides nicely on the hips and like you found that when in the woods I prefer a crossdraw, in my own case an El Paso 1880 which being fairly wide also rides again the thigh very well.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

2X22 wrote:That is a GOOD LOOKIN' outfit, Kirk! Is that a 2 1/2" belt or 3"?
The belt is a 2 & 1/2" one. Just in case anyone was wanting a better look at the Colt, here it is .....

For those not familiar with the 45 Schofield cartridge, originally invented for the US Calvary back in the mid-1870's, here it is compared with the 45 Colt and the 45 ACP. The 45 Colt is on the left, the 45 Schofield in the middle, and the 45 ACP on the right. I load my 45 Schofield to match the original 45 Colt BP ballistics. The original cylinder is archived for safe keeping, and the cylinder I use is a modern steel replacement chambered for the 45 Schofield.

For a quick break from work, I like to step out into my backyard to practice drawing and firing into a target I've pinned to a stump. Just five rounds a day.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

how about one like this?

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-54-31-4-border-belt.aspx
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

I like everything about your rig. Looks like it will serve your needs well. My only thing is I'd need more ammo available. Not necessarily on my person, but at camp or in my pack or at least handy. What you have there really wouldn't last long. At least not for me anyway.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Love the look of those Kirk. Thanks for sharing!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

I like your rig too! I do something similar by just putting .30WCF rounds in my .44 loops. Works for me!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stunning - simply stunning!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice leather rig ! I have a very similar set up . It has 45 loops that hold most rifle cartridges with a rim, 30-30 ,356,444. Cross draw is the way to go when hunting. It puts more weight up front , less pull on the back. I have my belt plenty big so I can put it on the outside of a winter jacket. I carry a Ruger Bisley 45 colt and a marbles knife .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

J Miller wrote:... My only thing is I'd need more ammo available. Not necessarily on my person, but at camp or in my pack or at least handy. What you have there really wouldn't last long. At least not for me anyway.
Joe, 30 rounds of ammo (plus 5 in the sixgun) is pretty spartan for two years in the bush, although most of us typically use only one or two cartridges per year to get a deer, or 4-6 cartridges for 4 deer. This would be the lightest scenario.

What I would like to get is a small leather possibles/ammo pouch that would fit on my belt in that space behind the holster. It would be useful for a lot of things.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, what is interesting from your old pics that many might not have seen is you have actually done these wilderness canoe trips and with the family for weeks at a time and the deer hunts in these areas.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Looking good! I don't get to far into wilderness areas these days. My niece's 3000 acre ranch on the Brazos is about it. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would be wilderness from my condo. :)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's wonderful. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

PM sent to Mich Hunter regarding the maker of Kirk's cartridge belt. I'll post it publicly if the maker has no objections, tho I know he's quite busy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I can't imagine how I would begin to plan for a year long stay in the bush. I know I can't imagine only shooting 3 or 4 rounds a year either. At some point, I would just about HAVE to shoot just for recreation. And without a small game getter... a .22 probably... how could you survive?

Again... you have thought and planned... this is way outside my realm of thinking. I'm afraid I still have to work for a living.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kirk, the only thing your missing in them pics is a can of copenhagen that saddle looks comfy, nice 94 you cant beat a 94 30-30 for the woods. My outfit is a 30-30 in a scabbard and a ruger 22 mag on my hip when I packing and camping. I have even gone back to using a 30-30 for all my hunting in the timber its fast and handy for quick shots and it will drop anything that walks on the NA continent. I will carry a larger caliber pistol when hunting a 357 or 45 colt incase I have a close shot from the saddle or when dealing with and packing meat. danny
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

KirkD wrote:
I imagine that there are various places that would make up a custom belt. I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, and maybe Malamute can correct me here, the fellow that made my belt only does it for a bit of a hobby, so I don't feel I have permission to mention his name. I do know another fellow in Canada who makes up custom belts however you like them, but I've not seen his belts, so I'd hesitate to recommend him. If Malamute gives me the go-ahead, I could pm you with the fellow in Cody.

Kirk, I ran into Ron, he said it was OK to put his name out. He does leather work full time. So, for anyone wondering or interested, Kirks belt was made by Ron Reed. His company is called Blue Mountain Saddlery, and his phone number is 307-645-3220. Ron also makes some very fine 1880's-1890's period holsters, money belt type cartridge belts, and other cowboy type gear. If you like period correct gear, his styles and border stamping is right out of the "Packing Iron" book. I have a couple of his holsters, and am quite happy with them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent! I really like the belt he made for me. The leather that he used for it is excellent .... supple and heavy duty. I also like the way he stitched the cartridge loops.