New Levergun: Need help now

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

New Levergun: Need help now

Post by Dastook »

All right you guys, after twenty seven years of marriage this forum might make me a bachelor. I just couldn’t stop myself after reading all the praises and fun many of you are having with this rifle in 357, so I bought one to add to my collection. OK, now I need your help. I need your suggestions on hand loading for these three scenarios.

1. Good deer loads
2. Good plinking or small game loads
3. Good SASS load as I may use this as a backup/backup to my Marlin and other 92

I know you all are up to the task.

p.s. I know it is through my own weakness and not the forums fault for my many purchases.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Weakness? You're going to have to explain that one. :wink:

I've found that 180 gr. Hornady XTP or Remington SJHP over 15 gr. L'ilGun is great and so is the 158 gr. Hornady XTP-FP (NOT the HP) over 18 gr. L'ilGun. Plinking ammo? I'd use whatever you can get cheapest, .357 Mag or .38 Special. SASS load, whatever is both inexpensive and 100% running in YOUR gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

My load for deer and hog is a 158gr JSP over 18gr of Lil'gun. This load goes a little over 1800fps from my 16" Trapper

8gr of Bullseye under a 125gr JSP/JHP is one of my favorite loads. Both economic and mild out of my Trapper this load is very potent on coyote or turkey out to 100yds. This goes a little over 1500fps out of the Trapper
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

My plinkin load is 7gr. Unique behind 158gr. RNFP, mine does't like SWC.
This is also my load for everything else too. :roll:
If I need more than that I grab another gun, gotta have an excuse for several ya know. :D :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My deer load is a 180 gr. cast bullet (LEE 358-180-RF) with a wide meplat and 16.0 gr. of LilGun. Runs right at 1800 fps in my 20" Rossi.

That is also my plinking load. :wink:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Don't call it a weakness, but rather a "NECESSITY"
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I use a westcastings 125gr tc and 6.2gr of unique sparked by a sp primer and get 2.5 inch groups at 100 with open sights. I've been told to expect velocity to be around 1100 fps but haven't checked it. I find this to be a really pleasant load to shoot and even the kids and girls at the club enjoy shooting it.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

So what exactly is it?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

MikeS. wrote:So what exactly is it?
Sorry about that, it's a Rossi.

Thanks for all the input guys.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[All right you guys, after twenty seven years of marriage this forum might make me a bachelor. I just couldn’t stop myself after reading all the praises and fun many of you are having with this rifle in 357, so I bought one to add to my collection. OK, now I need your help.]

OK, Here's the only help yore ever gonna need (after 43 years of marriage):

BUY A PIECE OF JEWELRY WITH EVERY GUN, DUMMY ! ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: