Slightly OT - Winchester 94 Scout Type Scope & Mount

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Slightly OT - Winchester 94 Scout Type Scope & Mount

Post by Bruce »

It is almost OT, because I bought a Winchester Model 62-A this morning. Yea, it's a pump 22, but it is mint. About a 1955 or 1956 year model.

The reason it is not OT. I knew when I saw it that the scope and mount on it where not quite correct. The rear of the scope mount has (had) some shims, but otherwise "mint". I shot it before buying and @ 25 yards you could cover the four shot group with a dime. Yes, off a rest. :D

I had full intentions of taking the scope and mount off and I fully expected some extra mount screw holes. I was not disappointed. There are three extra (non factory) screw holes.

Now for the not OT part. I knew the scope and mount were old because the scope was 2X and the system screamed quality. Did I mention that the scope and rings could be easily removed from the base and you still have the rear iron sight which is part of the base?

Now what does that marking of Redfield M294 on the base mean? And what does that marking of Redfield 2X with a S/N on the scope mean? After a little internet research, it means that this set up is an original (scout type) scope and mount specifically for the Winchester Model 94.

I have never seen or heard of this, but the internet is a great tool and quickly identified the set.
Last edited by Bruce on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Slightly Almost OT - Old Winchester Scout Type Scope Score

Post by J Miller »

Bruce,

Something like this really requires pictures. I've never seen nor hear of that kind of scope of that vintage.

So ante up some photos, puleeezze.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep - pics would be nice. Sounds very interesting though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bushnell also had a "scout"type mount that used the rear sight dovetail to secure the scope mount and used their Phantom handgun scope.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

So, how many additional holes did these types mounts require.
My memory seems to remember an article in a gun magazine MANY years ago where somebody mounted something like this on a Win 94 44 mag. But I won't dig through 40 years of mags to find it.
So I guess I'm mistaken, I have heard of this type scope set up.

Arrggghh, I'm getting old .... got CRS.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Joe I don't remember now, but it seems they only used the dovetail to hold the mount.
I'll have to go dig thru some old shooters bibles.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

ca.1964

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Slightly OT - Old Winchester 94 Scout Type Scope & Mount

Post by Bruce »

Pete, thanks for posting the add photo. It shows the set up just right. My picture quality is not the best, but here are a few.

The mount slides in and out of the base and is held in the base by a screw on the right front side. Once the scope and mount are removed, there is an adjustable iron sight that is located at the front of the base. The base requires three holes to be drilled and tapped into the barrel.

Does anyone have any idea of the value of these today?
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Slightly OT - Winchester 94 Scout Type Scope & Mount

Post by Bruce »

Pete, I found another vintage add on Ebay and noted that it as well as the one you posted do not show any rings around the scope. Creative advertising or are there different variations out there?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Slightly OT - Winchester 94 Scout Type Scope & Mount

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't remember any variations on that ring/mount setup.

The only other "different ones, back then, were the Bushnell ringless rail-mounted scopes, and the single stud mounts (I disremember the brand name), which the ring/base slipped over & was secured by side setscrew(s).

Besides the tiny Hudson Handgunner scopes with their propietary mounts, i.e.