Restoration Project for my Model 39

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Restoration Project for my Model 39

Post by JohnB »

So...

I have been reading and admiring the post about the homemade rifle and looking at the pictures and it makes me want to refinish the wood and color caseharden the receiver on my little 39.

What I am looking for is recommendations on wood refinishing, who does color case hardening and how to fill the holes in the receiver and the barrel.

Mind you, I have no interest in resale value as I have no interest in selling my baby. I just am looking for input and help on a fall/winter project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Restoration Project for my Model 39

Post by Terry Murbach »

IF YOU DO HAVE IT REALLY COLOR CASE HARDENED THE RECEIVER WILL BE STRIPPED OF EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE BARREL. NO HOLES ARE PLUGGED AS THE RECEIVER IS BEING COOKED WHILE SEALED IN A METAL TUBE FULL OF CARBON MATERIAL FROM WHICH THE RECEIVER TAKES THE CARBON INTO THE METAL OF THE RECEIVER ABOUT .005". IT MAY OR MAY NOT COME OUT BEAUTIFUL. SOMETIMES THEY TURN OUT AS FUGLY AS A MANURE SANDWICH.
DO NOT BE SURPRISED IF THE FOLKS YOU HIRE TO DO THIS ASK YOU TO SIGN A FORM ACCEPTING ALL RESPOSIBILITY FOR WHATEVER MIGHT/COULD/MAYBE HAPPEN TO THAT RECEIVER INCLUDING WARPAGE.
WHEN YOUR ENTIRE IDEA OF CC AND REFINISING THE WOOD IS COMPLETE IN ALL PROBABILITY YOU WILL HAVE ALSO DESTROYED THE VALUE OF THAT FINE 22 LEVERGUN TO ANY MARLIN COLLECTOR [.."IT AIN'T ORIGINAL, PAW.."!!] AND MANY CASUAL OBSERVERS ALSO.
THINK !!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John,

For a proper restoration I'd suggest:

Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations: http://www.hunterrestorations.com/

~or~

Turnbull Restoration:
http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/bigboreclassics.htm

Mike Hunter is a member here and the quality of his work is excellent. I don't know if he does Marlins or not. Just have to contact him to see.
Doug Turnbull's reputation is world wide and if he did it would be done beyond perfect.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Be prepared,for sticker shock. The actual bluing and case hardening is not that expensive. It's the man hours needed, for metal prep, that drives the cost up.

I'm speaking from experience. :wink: I had a Marlin 1897 restored and I could have bought a mint original, for what I ended up putting into it.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

jdad wrote:Be prepared,for sticker shock. The actual bluing and case hardening is not that expensive. It's the man hours needed, for metal prep, that drives the cost up.

I'm speaking from experience. :wink: I had a Marlin 1897 restored and I could have bought a mint original, for what I ended up putting into it.

Good to know, sir!

Question - Which Lyman tang sight is that? That is what I have been looking for since I bought the rifle...
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

That's a 2A. I have several extra 1a's, 2a's, and a Marbles M3. They're in the lower left, of the picture.

I'll be liquidating the rest of my sight collection, at our 2 day show 8/28-8/29.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JDAD,

You wouldn't happen to have one of these would you? I need it for my Model 40.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hobie wrote:JDAD,

You wouldn't happen to have one of these would you? I need it for my Model 40.

Unfortunately, the only Mossberg sight I have left is a Redfield #80, stamped "Y". This is for the Mossberg 140, 142, 144, & 146. I believe these were a right handed mauser action rifles, but it may fit yours. PM/email me if you want photos, hole spacing, etc. If you think it would work I can send it to you and you can send it back or send funds.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jdad,

Do I see a couple Browning T-Bolt rear sights just below the left bottom corner of the Western Sights box?

If so and they are for sale, I'll PM you for more info.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

J Miller wrote:jdad,

Do I see a couple Browning T-Bolt rear sights just below the left bottom corner of the Western Sights box?

If so and they are for sale, I'll PM you for more info.

Joe
Yes, I have 2! They are the early ones, with 3 lines, not the 5 line model. $35 each and you decide if you want to add $5 for Priority Mail or $2.50 for padded envelope snail mail.

Hobie, The Redfield appears to be new. Mr. Miller, The T-bolts show some use and 1 has just been sold.

JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

jdad wrote:That's a 2A. I have several extra 1a's, 2a's, and a Marbles M3. They're in the lower left, of the picture.

I'll be liquidating the rest of my sight collection, at our 2 day show 8/28-8/29.

I would be interested in picking up on e of those 2A's for my little marlin, but I am not in Oregon.

Any chance we could work a deal? How much would one of those beauties be?

Thanks!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

JohnB wrote:
jdad wrote:That's a 2A. I have several extra 1a's, 2a's, and a Marbles M3. They're in the lower left, of the picture.
I would be interested in picking up on e of those 2A's for my little marlin, but I am not in Oregon.

Any chance we could work a deal? How much would one of those beauties be?

Thanks!
John, please see this thread for the details. I have 2 available. http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... =1&t=28982

I'll post pictures and prices in a few minutes.

David