New 338 XLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

New 338 XLR

Post by Marlin32 »

Just picked up my new Marlin XLR in 338ME. Shot half a dozen rounds through it.
I shot two rounds, then cleaned the barrel and repeated a couple of times. Not sure if all they hype on "breaking in" barrels is true or not, but my last two rounds were below an inch, and that was shooting off of my picnic table with open sights. (I cannot shoot well with open sights anymore, but the target was only about 55 yards away, and I could have easily killed anything under a 100 with what I shot today!)

I am pleasantly suprised at the trigger. I don't think I will mess with it, at least for now.
Gun is lighter than I like, I wish it weighed another pound. The recoil is very similar to the BLR in 308. If this gun was one more pound, it would be a ***** cat really. Mounting a scope will help some too.

For right now, I think I will leave it alone. I plan to shoot a bunch more through it, and as time passes I will make the call to whether I want to customize any if at all.

Just letting people know, I had no loading, problems, jamming issues or any problems.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New 338 XLR

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin32 wrote:If this gun was one more pound, it would be a ***** cat really.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... Gotta love automated censors ...

(Actually, I suppose they save Hobie et al, quite a bit of headaches when some of us get a bit too 'spicey' in the sailor-talk manner.)

Anyway, the REAL reason of my post, was to reprimand you...

FOR NOT POSTING PICTURES...! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Have fondled a few of them. Sure come up to the shoulder nicely. The SS version always catches me eye whenever i walk into a candy store. How many rounds did you fire, b4 it was uncomfortable :?:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I generally run into trouble with trying to post photos. Once I get rolling and when I get to reloading, will try to post photos of targets.

As for the censor, not sure what I originally wrote!! Doesn't make much sense? Must have been out of mind with heat/humidity.

Looking forward to the day when Hornady starts selling its powder. I think 2011 sometime, then start looking for bullets!! I am liking the looks of those Hawk bullets.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

NOW I know what I wrote!!! Must be automatic censor, as that term is hardly offensive.
What do we censor next? Female dog terms??

I hope it is automatically censored, and not censored by admin, or this is my last post.