40-72 loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

40-72 loads

Post by Huntermb »

I've got a pair of 1895s here in 40-72. I'm looking for reloading info on them, both black powder and smokeless etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: 40-72 loads

Post by Leverluver »

Check first but I doubt there is enough difference in case capacity between a 40-72 and a 405 Win to matter. Start loads for the 405 Win (Hodgdon Annual Manual) run 10K under top 405W loads or in the low 30s psi. Even the flat sides should handle that. Anyway, it is a place to find some ideas on where to start. As far as black, use the correct weight bullet and don't leave any air space. There's enough nooks and crannies I don't think I want to clean mine after using black.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Mike Venturino tested one in "Shooting Leverguns of the old West". the barrel on his slugged out at .406".
He used a 280gr cast gas check bullet sized .408"
23gr of XMP5744 shot 1,329fps with a 3.13" group.
66gr of Goex FFG blackpowder shot 1,528fps with a 3.75" group.
His rifle did not shoot well with cartridge grade blackpowder.
Good Luck with Your shooting.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I would strongly advise against using 405 loading data in any form for the 40-72. Read the below threads and you will understand why. The assumption that case capacity is the same and will take the same loads did not prove out to be accurate in the below tests. Thankfully I had started out quite low...and disregarded any 405 data for this cartridge.

Good luck on your quest. It is rare to find one shootable 40-72...quite a feat and blessing to have two at your disposal.

Part 1 Tests http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=17997

Part 2 Tests http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=18899

Part 3 Tests http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=19321

Ed
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Once the daughter brings the camera back I'll post some pictures. One is an octagon barrelled version that was bought new by family member and I am the third owner of it. The other one is a round barrelled version that showed up at my door one night. My buddy hands it to me and says I got this, knew you'd like it, here you go. They are both shootable for sure.

So Ed what did you end up using as your go to round for the 40-72? I am looking forward to using these on whitetail, bear and maybe moose (my old 45-70 and 38-55 are going to get jealous).
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I haven't settled yet on a load. My initial thought was that 33.5gr of 3031 with a card wad separating the powder from the COW under the 265gr bullet lead bullet was going to be the ticket. But while the first loads shot good, the next time I loaded them I got somewhat wider groups. So I'm thinking either I had a really bad day at the range, or I just haven't found the combo yet. I'm looking to try some 4198 and the one other powder that Don kept referring to in those threads. If you do any experimentation with loads please let me know and I'll file the data in my own spreadsheets for reference.

It's really interesting to note the difference in rifles and loads. My buddy and I usually end up with like calibers for some reason. Within a couple of months we both ended up with 38-72's in 1895's, and then about a year later both ended up with 40-82's in 1886s'. The rifles of like calibers have drastically different preferences in loads. Kind of funny....So you are going to either have a great time making both of your's work, or you are going to pull your hair out with frustration trying to get one of them to shoot well.... :P

Thanks,
Ed