BLR Accuracy - Range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

BLR Accuracy - Range report

Post by geobru »

I finally got out and tested a few loads in the BLR. It is a 70's vintage Japan made BLR. I tried IMR 3031 powder at 41 and 43 grains. This target is the last three shots that I shot with the 41 grain load. The distance from center to center is about .62" at 100 yards, which isn't too bad IMHO. These were shot using a leadsled, so the rest was pretty stable. I couldn't get 43 grains to do any better than 1.75" or so. The average velocity was 2550, so I will have to try some more loads with different powders to see if I can find a load that is a bit faster, but as accurate as this one is.

Any Suggestions??

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: BLR Accuracy - Range report

Post by Bruce »

My suggestion is don't change anything. Your velocity is fine and the accuracy is great. You have found what that rifle likes.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

If it ain`t broke don`t fix it. You may want to try 4895, but that looks like mighty fine grouping you have right there.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Any Suggestions?

Yep, the loads a good one, now take it hunting and make meat with it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Basically a 308/300 Savage load.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Bruce wrote:My suggestion is don't change anything. Your velocity is fine and the accuracy is great. You have found what that rifle likes.

Yup, weld the powder measure and seating die right were they are. Yer load development fun is done.

Nice job.
Certified gun nut
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Before you settle on that load you better put together ten or fifteen more of those and shoot some more groups to make sure that one group wasn't a fluke. You simply can't determine the accuracy of a load by one three shot group.
NRA Life Member
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

TedH wrote:Before you settle on that load you better put together ten or fifteen more of those and shoot some more groups to make sure that one group wasn't a fluke. You simply can't determine the accuracy of a load by one three shot group.

Party Pooper :lol: :lol: :lol:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yeah in addition to a few more verification groups.. see how she handles w/o the lead sled... Great results keep up the good work..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats good going, just comfirm it again :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Save that load! Looks pretty good to me. But if you want to play with other powdes, go ahead, but don't forget this load...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Power is fine but accuracy is final... what iceman said.

Unless you work for the Gov't, in which case the phrase if it ain't broke fix it till it is.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My wifes blr 308, same vintage as yours really likes a charge of 45.2 grs of 748 put up in Remington brass using cci large rifle primers and hornady 165 gr bt interlocs. It will shoot nearly the same accuracy as the 748 load using rl15.
For fun plinkers and varminter use enough 4064 to fill to the base of the case neck and the Remington125 gr bulk bullets. She can decapitate prairiedogs at around 200 yds with that load.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

TedH wrote:Before you settle on that load you better put together ten or fifteen more of those and shoot some more groups to make sure that one group wasn't a fluke. You simply can't determine the accuracy of a load by one three shot group.
That is a good point Ted. The nnumbers on the target are the number of shots I took with this load. I got it dialed in and decided to see if I could make a "show" target.

Thanks for the input from all of you. Accuracy is king and this gun has been a real meat getter over the years. Most shots are well under 150 yards and this will do well. It is just a lot of fun to see what a gun will/can do if I do my part.

This is the gun and a few blacktail racks that I got with it.

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Your shooting is impressive!

Try Sierra ProHunter bullets sometime. They shoot the BEST in my .308 rifle.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have 1 same era. mine is as accurate as a bolt action , but handles close to a winchester 94. that's a lot to ask from a rifle. 8)
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

If you experiment any further, begin to think 4064, Reloader 15 or Varget. These even slower powders have suited my .308, bought used in 1974, a good bit better than 3031 and 4895. If they don't pan out, you can always fall back on your 3031 load. Enjoy.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

FWIW my Sav 99 in 308 is most accurate with 165 gr bullets at 2550 fps. It has worked well on a bunch of N.A. and African game. My friend Mike's BLR in 308 just happens to be most accurate with the same exact load. He gets 2535 fps with the same load in his 20" barrel. For some reason, that velocity is consistently accurate in 20" and 22" barrel leverguns.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member