Store comment on Marlin Express sales

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Store comment on Marlin Express sales

Post by quietman »

An FYI just because :wink:

Was in Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday (July 8, 2010 for future reference) to see if the 795's were on sale. I asked the sales guy, who from previous discussions is very knowledgeable, as to why they don't carry the 308 or 338 ME in the rack. I told him I think they'd sell better than the ones they had on display.

His response was they had asked the store buyer for a couple when he was looking for input on what to stock in the store. The buyer came back and told him it was a no go as the two distributors they use couldn't keep them in stock long enough. The rifles sell about as fast as they come into the distributors, just from stores calling to see if they have one in stock when a customer comes looking for one. Basically they sell before ever making it to a store shelf. Their 2 distributors are not interested in taking any back orders because they don't need to.

BTW, what do you do when you run out of appendages to count anyway? :mrgreen:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Store comment on Marlin Express sales

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I guess Dick's doesn't have any buying clout.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Dicks is worthless.
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

Was a manager with Dick's for a few years. My department was hardlines which included among other things, the "Lodge" area. Let me just say as an avid shooter and hunter, it was very depressing working there. It was a constant fight to try to bring in anything cool. If it wasnt something that the buyers could get a ton of at a cheap price, you didnt get it. I shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays and there are several nice sporting ranges in my area. Customers coming in looking for higher end target guns. I begged and begged for some Beretta o/u shotguns to sell. They finally send me 4 to shut me up. My staff had them sold in a week. Do you think they would send me more? No. When I complained about the serious lack of centerfire rifle selection, their response was that my store was in Michigan's "shotgun zone." I said what about the tens of thousands of folks that hunt up north? No. Muzzle loader season rolls around they send me a nice selection of sabots, primers, scopes, cleaning, etc. Do you think I could get any propellant? No. Finally I just accepted the fact that they make most of their profit on footwear, clothing and golf, and quit the fight. Let them corner the market on Mossberg 500s, Stoeger o/u, and Ruger 10/22s.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I haven't bought any guns from our local Dicks, but they do seem to have a pretty good selection of long guns but the prices weren't the best in town, that's for sure.

Good to hear the Marlin's are selling well.
NRA Life Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I tried to shop a Dicks in north Dallas near the Galleria - no service and a poor selection of guns. That was my first and last time at Dicks.
Like the man said, guns and shooting are an after thought for Dicks.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Dick's and Big 5 both fill a niche so why complain about it? If you want the lowest price on a Mossberg 500 or low-end Remington 700 or 870 I suggest you look in both stores to see if they're running a sale because if they do have the gun you're after and it's on sale it WILL be the lowest price in town. Same goes for all of the bottom-end guns from all of the manufacturers. Both stores have Marlin, Savage and Ruger .22s by the truck load as well and my local Dick's sells Marlin, Henry and Mossberg lever guns too. So what's the problem? That they don't carry the high end or exciting stuff? That's what a real "gun shop" is for! Sheesh.

I use Dick's for cleaning supplies, targets, ammo when it's on sale, and occasionally an inexpensive gun. I can buy a pair of shorts and some sneakers while I'm there. What a deal. This is something to complain about? Until they built a Dick's and a Big 5 just a few miles from my place I had to drive 45 minutes to get most of this stuff. I'm quite pleased to have them and I say God bless 'em - I just hope both places don't stop selling guns entirely as many chains have done.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Dick's is a "walmart" type operation. They buy cheap in bulk or not at all. Profit MARGIN matters. if they could ge ty by stocking nothing but Zebco 303 reels at 100% markup they would.

You better LGS stays in busines by doing what Dick's or Walmart won't. Support him.
Certified gun nut
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had my local
dick's special order a Henry pump for me and boy was it an ordeal. I'd never order another or even buy another gun from them. I also had to sight 5 different pieces of paper that I've never done at any other gun shop. They are just a pain to deal with IMHO. Not worth the trouble.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.