REMOVING OLD FINISH FROM STOCK

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

REMOVING OLD FINISH FROM STOCK

Post by barbarossa »

I have a stock that is in perfect shape no dings etc but it needs to have the old finish removed.I would like to remove the finish without any sanding so I was wondering what you guys use to remove an old finish.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: REMOVING OLD FINISH FROM STOCK

Post by Old Ironsights »

barbarossa wrote:I have a stock that is in perfect shape no dings etc but it needs to have the old finish removed.I would like to remove the finish without any sanding so I was wondering what you guys use to remove an old finish.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28282 :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Formby Furniture Refinisher has worked great for me. It's available at Lowe's and pretty sure other home stores. For an applicator, don't buy their pads... just use 0000 steel wool. Get some chemical gloves while your at it....it will eat right through nitrile gloves pretty quickly. It leaves the stain untouched, but melts the old nasty finish off like cotton candy. A few coats of true oil and except for the dings/memories that are indented in the wood, it will look factory new or better when your done. I have not tried it on the glossy Remington type finishes.

Edit: looks like OI beat me too it....must have been posting at the same time!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

C. Cash wrote:Formby Furniture Refinisher has worked great for me. It's available at Lowe's and pretty sure other home stores. For an applicator, don't buy their pads... just use 0000 steel wool. Get some chemical gloves while your at it....it will eat right through nitrile gloves pretty quickly. It leaves the stain untouched, but melts the old nasty finish off like cotton candy. A few coats of true oil and except for the dings/memories that are indented in the wood, it will look factory new or better when your done. I have not tried it on the glossy Remington type finishes.

Edit: looks like OI beat me too it....must have been posting at the same time!

+1 on the Formby's. If you can find it, Hope's also works well at a lower price. But, harder to find. Also, be sure to get enough of it. You need to keep rinsing that steel wool in fresh solvent to do a good job. Also, Formby's makes a "paint remover wash." The solvent can raise the grain and open it up a bit, but that paint remover wash will help correct that as a final step and avoid any sanding.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have had great luck doing what you are talking about using Minwax Antique Furniture Refinisher which is the same thing as the Formby's. It melts the old finish off using 000 steel wool.