Best way to clean an old leaded barrel??????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mumbolia
Levergunner

Best way to clean an old leaded barrel??????

Post by mumbolia »

I just picked up an a neat Whitney Kennedy large frame,(another one) in 45-60. The bore looks like it might clean up to exc. but is heavily leaded and deposited with crud. What the best way to get this crud out from the old timers? My first pass with usual cleaning techniques only touched the surface of the junk. When I examine it clsely with magnification, it looks like crud deposited with nice rifling underneith.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Best way to clean an old leaded barrel??????

Post by J Miller »

mumbolia,

Wrap a bronze bristle brush in ChorBoy or some other brand of copper scrub pads so that it's a tight fit, and run that through the barrel. The copper scrubbers will literally peal the lead out.
ChoreBoyresults.JPG
Here is a pic of the results I got with the copper scrubbers and my Old Model Ruger BH. I could not get the lead out with normal brushes and solvent. A couple passes like this and it was CLEAN.
I've found that if you use the scrubber dry it works better. Hoppes acts like a lubricant and scrubber just slides over the lead.

Again, make sure the scrubber is copper. They do make them in steel that are copper colored. I take a magnet with me and check them before I buy.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Half and Half white vineager and hydrogen peroxide. Plug one end, pour in, let set for awhile. Eats lead like no one's business. Rinse well to stop reaction. Won't work on copper.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

A patch soaked in pure gum spirits of turpentine , shoved thru the bore on a tight fitting jag will pull more lead than you can imagine, even from supposedly "clean" barrels.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Run a patch dripping with Kroil through, and let it sit overnight.
Follow up with the Chore Boy method mentioned above, and just buy a genuine Chore Boy, don't waste your time with the chinese counterfeit junk. They cost more, but one will last you a long time time you only need a little to wrap the bore brush.
Mark :mrgreen:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

If heavily leaded I use a foul out system. A buddy bought a 73 with a worn bore but we thought we'd try anyway. I got enough lead out of that thing to make a large fishing sinker. Worked pretty well but you gotta follow the directions. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This is why this forum is interesting. Five responses and five different methods to do the same thing.

Great info.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

J Miller wrote:This is why this forum is interesting. Five responses and five different methods to do the same thing.

Great info.

Joe
Just use all 5 methods. You'll be sure to have a clean barrel. Or a smooth bore! :lol:
Mark :mrgreen:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I second the Chore Boy method. Works for me. But there is a Lewis Lead Remover system sold by most firearm vendors that has a pretty good rep for success.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The thing about the turpentine, besides it working so well, is there's no abrasive, no chance of damaging an old soft iron bp steel barrel.
The Proshot lead cloth works well also, but its hard on metal finish.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

BlaineG wrote:Half and Half white vineager and hydrogen peroxide. Plug one end, pour in, let set for awhile. Eats lead like no one's business. Rinse well to stop reaction. Won't work on copper.

Yep, this works, BUT, don't leave it in the barrel longer than 1/2 hour or so. I used this mix in my Dan Weson .44, but I left it in for about 5 hours (I got busy with other things). It left small pits in the barrel. Soak for 10 minutes or so, drain, rinse, oil, and check the bore. Repeat as necessary...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

mikld wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Half and Half white vineager and hydrogen peroxide. Plug one end, pour in, let set for awhile. Eats lead like no one's business. Rinse well to stop reaction. Won't work on copper.

Yep, this works, BUT, don't leave it in the barrel longer than 1/2 hour or so. I used this mix in my Dan Weson .44, but I left it in for about 5 hours (I got busy with other things). It left small pits in the barrel. Soak for 10 minutes or so, drain, rinse, oil, and check the bore. Repeat as necessary...
+1 this is a method where you do only this and nothing else while you're doing it. It works well but needs to be hands on because it works pretty quick and can be overdone. A bronze brush speeds up the process. Water mixed with baking soda, to neutralize the acidity of this concoction, doesn't hurt either before your final rinse.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Been there and done 'em every way mentioned above. They all work but...........my favorite is the Outers Foul Out system. Gets out everything---lead--copper--powder--rust--cobwebs :D

It does such a good job, it usually takes 10 or 15 shots just to get it shootin' right again.-------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I use J Miller's method, except I use extra fine steel wool. I also use extra fine steel wool with a drop of oil to take rust spots off my more valuable antique Winchesters. I've used extra fine steel wool for years and have yet to observe the faintest damage to 100-year old blueing. If it can't hurt the blueing, it certainly will not harm the bore.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Sixgun wrote:Been there and done 'em every way mentioned above. They all work but...........my favorite is the Outers Foul Out system. Gets out everything---lead--copper--powder--rust--cobwebs :D

It does such a good job, it usually takes 10 or 15 shots just to get it shootin' right again.-------Sixgun

+1. In my experience, the only way to be certain the bore is free of all fouling. 1886.