When It Rains, It Pours

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

When It Rains, It Pours

Post by COSteve »

A number of you remember my post last week about the scare we had with our daughter and her trip to the emergency room. Well it's a new week and wouldn't you know it a new medical problem, however, this time it's her older brother.

Seems that our son, the physicist, was celebrating America's goal against England in the World Cup games last Saturday a bit too hard when he and his friends burst out the front door of their house right after the goal.

They jumped off the porch and he landed wrong on his ankle, lost his balance, and crashed to the ground on his left knee. He was unable to walk so his roommates helped him into the house and an hour later they called us for help. We drove up to pick him us to nurse his 'bruised' knee which by this time had swelled a bit.

Fast forward to today. His knee hadn't gotten any better so we took him to the Dr. who took x rays of his knee and then told him that he needed to see an orthopedic surgeon immediately! The x rays showed that he has a titular plateau fracture of his left knee (one of the top two lobs of his tibia broke off) and will require surgery including steel pins and/or plates to stabilize the top of his tibia while it heals (which will be a couple of months recovery including therapy).

We have him back home now and have an appointment with a top orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to discuss the next steps. Our Dr. friend called one of his buds and got our son an appointment with one of the best knee surgeons in Denver. The next few months for him are not going to be pretty.

As I said before, stop what you are doing right now and go hug your family because you never know what is going to happen next.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: When It Rains, It Pours

Post by Doc Hudson »

At times like this, I'll wager you and your wife wish you'd stuck with dogs rather than kids.

Best of luck to your son and to you.

i will keep y'all in mind and prayer.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When he makes a trillion dollars for inventing cold fusion, it'll all be worth it :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

steve we must be sharing the same play book last week my wife had bad heath scare and 2 days ago my 3 year old stunt girl dived off her bed and broke her left thumb we need to find a new rut to get in, hope yours gets healed up quick enough with no problems. will add yall to my prayers again.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Seems that our son, the physicist
sorry to hear, a tough break for a future gym teacher...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

What is this foreign freak show called soccer all about any way? :shock:

I wish your son a speedy recovery. :D
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up Steve. Stick with Rugby... what a few missing teeth anyway?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Some rough going on there with your family Steve!
Hang in there and prayers up for you guys!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I heard there is a good Dr. over there on the Eastern slope, over in Lakewood, I believe. Thought about him or a gal in Gunninson that is supposed to be great, for my knee surgery. Ended up having it here in town by a guy with a good reputation. Couldn't be happier. Orthoscopic, couple of tylenol for pain control a few days after, going up and down stair easily within 4 days, went to therapy once and don't need to go back.
Is you sons injury a "lateral tibial condyle fracture"? Hard time remembering all the bones in the body and their parts.

Hope he heals quickly. Guess he can say he got it from Soccer!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

El Chivo wrote:
Seems that our son, the physicist
sorry to hear, a tough break for a future gym teacher...
Good one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, even though it is part of growing up a boy. hope it all comes out ok. Ever think of having the cap replaced with stainless steel or some space age material that will deter phyical ailments when he reaches 100 or so?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers Up. As anyone who has raised Kids knows it is a never ending three ring circus. We could all write a book. My Boy once lost control driving into a local hairpin turn....He was "guided" around the corner by the guardrail which had all of these big boltheads sticking up. As His luck would have it Mom was standing at the kitchen sink when He drove in the driveway. His new car looked like a giant can opener went down the drivers side. :shock: :oops: . when My Wife gets wound up it's a real treat. Sometimes all We can do is Pray.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Here's wishing your son the best through his surgery and recovery. I've had five shoulder surgeries and they aren't fun.
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here's wishing you strength to get through it all and a quick heal for your son!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow Steve, I'm sorry to hear that. On a related note though, you have to be proud of him for handling the injury for a week. I would have been screaming for a doctor on impact! :shock: :shock: :shock:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

And I thought the job was mostly done once they leave the house! Well, actually, once they graduate from college and get a job....

Nope!

Hope it all goes well for him Steve and he heals up quick.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Wow!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Steve, I hope your boy heals real quick, sorry to hear our clumsy goal keeper caused all the trouble. :oops:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.