light strikes, Rattler 94 no fire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

light strikes, Rattler 94 no fire

Post by MacEntyre »

I got my '65 Win 94 modified link installed, and it works very well, thank you Tycer! Griff, I did not need to buy a new carrier; using the original link solved the sticking carrier problem, and there is no apparent wear.

However, the hammer drop is wimpy... it won't ignite the primer. The trigger/hammer assembly is so simple, I cannot see what can go wrong. It's a leaf spring, with a turn at the hammer end. It only goes together one way, and functions like it should (half cock, cock, fire).

Could it be that I didn't install the lever through the firing pin slot properly? It's impossible to see what's going on in there, but it went well, according to Junior's instructions.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The lever can only go in the firing pin / bolt slot one way. If you got the lever to bolt pin through both pieces that's all you can do there.

Did you unscrew the hammer spring screws? There should be two of them.
One to mount the hammer springs to the tang, the other that comes up from the bottom to tension the springs.

Other than that, you'll need to double check every thing you did.

Point the rifle muzzle up and open the action. Then push the rear end of the firing pin up. If it moves easily and the tip protrudes from the front of the bolt then drops back, the problem isn't there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

J Miller wrote: Did you unscrew the hammer spring screws? There should be two of them.
One to mount the hammer springs to the tang, the other that comes up from the bottom to tension the springs.
No, but someone else might have, when he had it... I'll check.

Firing pin moves easily, BTW.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There should be TWO mainsprings also. See picture below of my '63, they remained in this configuration till the later half of the '70s.

Removing the lower one will make for a "whimpy" hammer fall.

Did you check for a free moving firing pin striker in the locking lug? If it's gummed up inside the bolt, it'll move too slowly to set off
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Ok, we're getting warmer...

This '65 Rattler has ONE mainspring, even if it's supposed to have two. Tightening the tensioning screw made it strong enough to ignite a primed casing, barely. It's still wimpy.

I bet my friendly gunsmith, who disassembled and reassembled it for 8 months without finding a problem, has the smaller mainspring in his spare parts bin.

EDIT: I'm off to pay him a visit, and get my spring back! Thanks, guys!
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

If he took it out and didn't know-care enough to replace it, maybe you shouldn't trust him with any more :P
Dave
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Caco wrote:... maybe you shouldn't trust him with any more :P
Dave
Gave him up when I fetched the rifle from him, after he admitted that he really did not like to work on Winchesters. I can't figure out why he took it in the first place.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

He had it on his bench, and installed it while I was there.

Poor fellow works fulltime as a gunsmith out of his home, and is about to become a BATFU statistic. They are dragging their feet renewing his FFL. He'll be out of business in six months.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, that'll make that "lock-time" disappear!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MacEntyre,

I'm glad we got this figured out. I would have posted a pic like Griffs, but I don't have a gun of that vintage. Thanks Griff.

Sorry to hear about the gunsmith and the bat boys. That agency needs to go. I know .... fat chance.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I appreciate your patience with me. I enjoyed getting to know that 94. Might even look into how to slick up the action.

Thank you very much!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

As bad as the gunsmith was, at least he stepped up and gave you your part back right away instead of playing the ole "slap the forehead - shrug the shoulders" routine.

Nice job on the rifle and a big KUDO to those that helped you.
ED
Yer never too old