OT: Well, at the current rate, I'm about done with shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: OT: Well, at the current rate, I'm about done with shooting

Post by Mike D. »

In one respect, I'm lucky 'cause shooting is free on our properties, but the nuisance of obtaining components in CA is forgettable. Soon enough, ordering even bullets through the mail will be outlawed, so here we are. My buddies and I will have to go over the hump to Reno to find what we need. Again, it will be a seller's market. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike D. wrote:In one respect, I'm lucky 'cause shooting is free on our properties, but the nuisance of obtaining components in CA is forgettable. Soon enough, ordering even bullets through the mail will be outlawed, so here we are. My buddies and I will have to go over the hump to Reno to find what we need. Again, it will be a seller's market. :(
CA and IL are two of the worst states for shooting. Each in their own way cause us grief beyond reason. In CA you have lots of free places to shoot if you can get to them. But they are blocking out your ammo accessibility in several ways.
In IL we can get almost anything we want, but there's no free places to shoot if you don't own property.

Mike, we just can't win can we?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/ ... BJUJU_Feed

http://www.job-search-engine.com/keywor ... nsylvania/

Call these people!
Go through all their job offerings!
See if THEY will help move you here?
If you can Joe, make the change!
More jobs than ticks on a dog!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Seems the prices are going up the world over.

A brick of CCI standard velocity .22 = $50, most run of the mill .22 ammo is about the same.
Brass starts at $35 per 100 and depending on cal goes up a long way from there
Primers are about $48 a 1000
Powder is $45 a pound
.357 WW factory ammo $38 for 50, and Hornady XTP bullets $48 a 100

Won't be long and us poor folks will have to go back to chucking spears or snaring to get our meat.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gundownunder wrote:Seems the prices are going up the world over.

A brick of CCI standard velocity .22 = $50, most run of the mill .22 ammo is about the same.
Brass starts at $35 per 100 and depending on cal goes up a long way from there
Primers are about $48 a 1000
Powder is $45 a pound
.357 WW factory ammo $38 for 50, and Hornady XTP bullets $48 a 100

Won't be long and us poor folks will have to go back to chucking spears or snaring to get our meat.
Well, perhaps home made bows and arrows or boomerangs too.
Old Ironsights said this was part of the govt plan. I'm in agreement.

madman4570,

Will check out the links. Thanks

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

J. Miller, you're a fortunate man and don't know it. Herewith the prices I pay in Brazil for shooting supplies:
Small pistol primers: $118/1,000
Gunpowder: $64/#
.30 150 gr bullets: $638/1,000
.22 LR ammo: $114/1,000
Can't wait till I get the new price list for 2010.
Best,
Antonio
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Machado wrote:J. Miller, you're a fortunate man and don't know it. Herewith the prices I pay in Brazil for shooting supplies:
Small pistol primers: $118/1,000
Gunpowder: $64/#
.30 150 gr bullets: $638/1,000
.22 LR ammo: $114/1,000
Can't wait till I get the new price list for 2010.
Best,
Antonio
Antonio,
If I had to pay the prices you listed I would quit shooting. At my income level there would be no way in the world I could do it.

Joe
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As posted by Chuck100yd:
"These are the 'GOOD OLD DAYS' and prices will never be better....”

In response, J Miller wrote:
"NONSENSE! That's like telling my grand parents the great depression was the good old days. The only people who believe that are those with huge quantities of disposable income. ..."

Joe: what are you talking about? When do prices come down?

I started reloading back about 1970. Became really involved approximately 1984. IIRC, powder then sold for approximately US $13.00 a pound. At that time, the older/retired shooters and reloaders griped about those "high" prices compared to what they paid back in the 1950‘s, or as they called them “the good ol‘ days.” I bought GOEX black powder for about US $3.00 - 4.00 a pound and again the “old timers” bemoaned that price.

In my collection of old metal powder cans, there is an 8 ounce can of Dupont Bulk Smokeless Powder, marked US $2.50. Now that was discontinued many years ago and I remember buying its replacement, SR4759 for around US $7.00 - 8.00 per 8 oz. can. There is a can of Bullseye that is marked about US $8.00 from a sporting goods store that closed in about 1969 - 1970. When I stared buying Bullseye, it was I believe about US $13.00.Yes, those later prices for Bullseye and SR4759 now appear economical, but what were they compared to prices for the similar product or same product 10 - 15 years prior??
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Geez, Joe....dig a hole and jump in it :roll:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Buck up, ya little girl...... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK,

So now you're all gonna kick me while I'm down. Well why don't you all just take a long walk off a short pier.

Or perhaps maybe you can all just KMA.

I don't need insults and I wont accept them.

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe,
Pal, Call these people! I am telling you they can get you a good job in the Zone(Arizona)
http://arizona.jobing.com/Job_Details2. ... meFrom=Job

Also contact the Marriot Hotel(one by the Phoniex Airport)
(They have a Full time(days)Front desk postion that just opened up)
Those places a lot of times will provide modest live in arrangments sometimes.
Full benefits and a cool place to work for that kind of job.(I will come and see ya)probably will be at the bar RELAXING.
Explain that though you dont have actual front desk hotel experience per say, (maybe you do??) tell them your experience of dealing with all types of people/customers falls right in line with the duties for that job.
Sell yourself(maybe your wife could work there too.
Check it out!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

J Miller wrote:OK,

So now you're all gonna kick me while I'm down. Well why don't you all just take a long walk off a short pier.

Joe
I was waiting for this one...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:OK,

Joe
Joe, no kidding, GOOD FOR YOU. NOW, treat yourself the way you expect others to treat you. You might be surprised....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I don't know, I look at it in another way, Remember when you could buy a nice house for $120,000 and fill your truck with $40.00.
Now a nice home cost's 400,000+ and it takes 110.00 to fill the truck?
I once got 1000 primers for a $ 1.50 yep that's right the gun shop owners mom charged me for a box or primers not a brick she thought it was the price, my big brother sent me to buy them so I really did not know how much 1000 primers would cost I think I was about 12 years old enough to watch the store for the owner when he went for lunch I grew up in that store! My big brother did what was right he called Rick the owner and said hay you sold 1000 primers for $1.50 he said that's okay I got your little brother as slave labour lol I loved to help out around the store.
Now I cast my own to keep cost's down the bullet is the most $ spent on shooting . Yep I miss the oldy's $13.00 for 1000 .22lr but thems day's are over. Now it's really double $26.00 for cheap federal bulk ammo dud city too. Sad thing is we went from $18.00 a hour to $23.00+ but that's over five years and in today's economy not enough for most, good thing I do not have a truck payment or Home payment.Or I could not shoot more than 250rds a year!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have 4 jobs.
1 full time.
1 part time.
2 per diem types.

Two of them pay for shooting and one doesn't pay at all. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

another idea is to start an Ebay business involving your hobby (so it's still fun).

I've been doing this, it's no risk, and I spend the money on shooting!

One idea might be a Winchester repair guide, illustrated, then make a *.pdf and sell the download.

Basically what F. Weidner said is right, if you want more, work more.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

I've been away the last few days and missed the bulk of this post. Too dog tired to read all the replies. I know the rising costs of everything gun-related is pinching a lot of folks. Just know you and the Mrs. are in my prayers, and I hope things improve for you.

Jay
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Joe -

I've been away the last few days and missed the bulk of this post. Too dog tired to read all the replies. I know the rising costs of everything gun-related is pinching a lot of folks. Just know you and the Mrs. are in my prayers, and I hope things improve for you.

Jay
God helps those who help themselves......(but, a prayer might help that, too)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well it's been said on a number of occasions that this forum is like a family. It's like mine that's for sure. Filled with cold blooded, manipulative, kick 'em when their down people.

It will be a cold day in hell before I make another personal post here. Yep, just like with my family I won't be saying nothing about my life any more.

I sure do feel right at home here.

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe,

Here the deal.
You know how different family members all each express their viewpoints differently.
Joe,I would wager that 99% of everyone on here really cares about you and your wife.
I think some just are blunter with saying somthing they feel might push you harder to earn more income and enhance your way of living making you happier.
Really Joe,we dont know exact details(maybe your guys health is too bad to work at lot)
If that is the case,let everyone know this.No one on here would think bad of you or make light of that
situation.Now I know you said its very hard finding work where you guys live(feel for ya)

Joe,dont just shut off your feelings.Somtimes (if its really deep down in your soul,you know maybe some of what they say has the slightest bit of reality,which I dont know your exact details and cant say)and only you two can honestly only answer that,but again somtimes those that really do care "somtimes can be blunt".But look at all the people on here that care! You owe those more than a KMA.

It is like a family here and families take work to stay together. Worst thing you can do is clam up about your trouble and not look for help and not obtain a brighter future.(which is what we want for you two)

Regards!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Joe, I know things are touchy right now but if you look at some of the post, I don't think Blaine was kicking you. I think he wanted you to see if you won't take stuff from others you shouldn't take it from yourself. I think some of the comments are tongue in cheek(Ihope so anyway) because this is a good board, and you know it. I have been in situations where I was absolutly miserable and didn't realize how bad it was until I was able to remove myself from the situation. Do you still have family in Arizona, sell the ruger and get a bus ticket with it, to where ever family is. Look for a job while "couching" at a friends(you are welcome to come stay here for a few weeks while looking PM me) get out of the place that makes you miserable. We do care and you are on my prayer list. It won't be easy but you will feel so much better if you get out. What type of work do you do? God Bless! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjoN0cF6FiQ

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04 ... ee-enlist/

Joe, there is only one person holding you back. :wink: Tough love sucks......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

BlaineG: Please check your PMs. Thanks.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.