Shooting .38 SPL in a .357 rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Shooting .38 SPL in a .357 rifle.

Post by 336A »

I' ve read else where, where someone fired some low velocity .38 SPL rounds in they're .357 and damaged the chamber. Basicaly what happened whas the ammo burned a ring in the chamber of his rifle. Thousands and thousand of .38 SPL ammo is fired in .357 handguns every year without ill effect. Has anyone here heard of this before.? If not what could the problem have been in this individuals case.?
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Even with handguns, it is SOP to clean the cylinder chambers very well before shooting the longer rounds after shooting some shorties. Otherwise, well, you know the rest of the story...

scott
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

RSY wrote:Even with handguns, it is SOP to clean the cylinder chambers very well before shooting the longer rounds after shooting some shorties. Otherwise, well, you know the rest of the story...

scott
+1
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Ummmm, no I don't know. What happens?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

You can get a buildup of stuff in the chamber ahead of where the 30 case ends. Then when you chamber a 357 that goes to the end it might be tough to chamber & I guess if you did force one in it might raise pressure but I'm not sure.

I know I shot ALOT of 38's thru my Rossi before I started reloading & just cleaned it before useing 357's & it didn't get hurt.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

P.S. The same goes for going from .44 Spl to .44 Magnum, too.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've heard of this one before, I dont recall the exact details but I think it may have been a lite, ie 125gr bullet, fired at low velocity, possibly a unique powder load.
From what I remember the ring was burnt into the chamber with as little as 100 rounds.
This risk coupled with the crud buildup in the front of the chamber is the reason I only use 357 ammo in my rifle. Of the 1500 or so rounds I've fired through it only 4 rounds have been 38sp and that was only to see how they performed for accuracy in comparison to the 357.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Thanks guys.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.