Bought a Renegade

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Bought a Renegade

Post by Swampman »

For $63.00 out the door. Pretty rough. Here she is after inital clean up.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Bought a Renegade

Post by two bit okie »

had a .54 Renagade for years, finally gave it to my son. a real cannon with 110 grs FF and a maxi ball.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Absolutely fun shooters!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Doesn't look too rough! 50 cal? How's the bore?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

STOP!STOP! THIEF! THIEF!

Man what a buy! Even though the twist is a little fast for patched round balls they will shoot them if you back down the powder charge. About 45 grains in the .54 will make it a tack driver for paper punchin. You can also buy a Green Mountain drop in barrel in a smaller caliber that will make it a fine squirrel rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Dang, You need to tell me where you shop, Please????
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a 54 Renegade that I have not shot in years. I always had problems with it firing during black powder season. I got the big 'pop' and no bang 4 times before I bought a remington 700 muzzleloader with the 209 upgrade. My guess is that the biggest problems with reliability were the guy loading it (me) and the fact that muzzleloader season in Ohio is in january, completed with high wind, blowing snow, sleet or rain (if you are very lucky) and generally a temp of about -20!
I hope you get better service from your that I get from mine. Probably, why the guy sold it for $63.00. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks good for peanuts! Wish I could have it. Open the nipple out to.040" if there is trouble with ignition.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Wow, what a buy!! Great rifle, I've had mine since sometime back in the '70s, its a great rifle. Bought a Green Mountain round ball barrel for it a couple of years ago and now like it even better.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Buffboy wrote:Dang, You need to tell me where you shop, Please????
+1
That is a heck of a deal. :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Superb firearm, its real value is the hunt.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wow, you really got a steal!! I built mine from a kit in 1980, and it was a couple hundred and some bucks back then :mrgreen: Mine was a .54 and with RB and 120gr Pyrodex P shot thru whitetail doe twice. 35-40gr of same made excellent squill and plinkers....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The bore is pretty bad but I found a 1" .54 caliber T/C Hawken barrel for a good price.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I have a .54 caliber Renegade too. I paid $125.00 for it many years ago, and never regretted it.

Renegades might not be as pretty as a Hawken, but IMO it is as good a front-loader as you can find without spending a fortune.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Swampman wrote:The bore is pretty bad but I found a 1" .54 caliber T/C Hawken barrel for a good price.
Shoot the rifle some efoe you go to the expense of replacing the barrel.

Sometimes a pitted barrel will still be amazingly accurate.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Black powder is one type of shooting I have never done.

Are black powder kits easy to do? I am not very good with my hands, but am keen to give it a go.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

+1 on Doc's suggestion. A friend has a T/C Hawken that he tried to clean and pulled the end off the ramrod. About 2 years later he brings it to me and asked if I could get the jag out. Stuffing black powder through the touch hole, I fired it out into a deep snowbank. Of course after that long a time and given that he was cleaning with water, lots of crust in that barrel. I scrubbed it out good then used valve lapping compound on a 28ga mop to polish the rust crust out, then a final lap with the same mop with jeweler's rouge on it. The gun is harder to load with patched ball now, though it shoots accurately with them. With mini balls, it's barely noticeable and, again, quite accurate.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:Black powder is one type of shooting I have never done.

Are black powder kits easy to do? I am not very good with my hands, but am keen to give it a go.
It depends on the kit, They can range from VERY hard to very easy. Time is your friend, don't get in a hurry and almost any will turn out well. It's much easier to do it slow and right than to fix a hurried job. Though given that black powder rifles, even good ones, loose quite a bit of value, after being shot(there are exceptions to this rule for very high end stuff) I'd look for a used one that has been taken care of.

- L. Neil Smith
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

If you do replace the barrel you could get the old one bored out and polished to around .600 and have a smoothbore! Should work good to 30 yards with shot and will still kill with a ball this side of 50yards :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Swampman wrote:The bore is pretty bad but I found a 1" .54 caliber T/C Hawken barrel for a good price.
That's one of the best things about the Renegades - the availability of barrels.

You can also have it rebored - if its a 50, make it a 54...

And there are replacement niples that work better available as well.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
That's one of the best things about the Renegades - the availability of barrels.

You can also have it rebored - if its a 50, make it a 54...

And there are replacement niples that work better available as well.
Musket nipples are bigger and better/hotter than the regular ones.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

If I wanted a kit I'd get the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 with the slow twist barrel from Midsouth Shooters Supply.

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

T/C returned my Renegade lock one week after I mailed it to them with a new sear & tumbler installed at no charge. It works fine now.

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy Pard.

T/c's have a lifetime guaratee...if it has a bad barrel, send it back to them. T/C is a first rate co. filled with first rate people. They'll take good care of it & you.

LB