Anybody have a rifle rebarreled by Marlin lately?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Anybody have a rifle rebarreled by Marlin lately?

Post by ScottT »

I am having a hell of a time getting through to them on their customer service line.

I have a 336 that someone abused the front end on and I would like to replace it with a rifle barrel anyway.

I am thinking a 24 inch octagon.
Comments?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Seems like a good plan to me. Seems I recall someone having their 1894 redone by Marlin on the old forum; but the name escapes me. Don't recall the details, just the overall impression the final result was very well done.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anybody have a rifle rebarreled by Marlin lately?

Post by claybob86 »

ScottT wrote:
Comments?
You'll need a crescent buttplate to go with that. :D :D :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Two friends of mine have had that done within the last year, one had a 24" 30-30 barrel installed, both jobs beyond reproach.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Got a quote of $304 and I may have enough in my old Alaska fund to do this.......They replace everything from the reciever forward.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

DO THEY SEND BACK ALL YOUR ALREADY-PAID-FOR PARTS ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Yes, if you ask for them.

Smartest thing is to take them off before you send it.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

ScottT wrote:Got a quote of $304 and I may have enough in my old Alaska fund to do this.......They replace everything from the reciever forward.
An Alaska Fund sounds interesting! Is that a fund from an Alaska hunting trip you made or one you didn't make? Don't mean to pry, Scott...just curious. If you've been to AK how 'bout sharing some of what you did, shot, caught, etc.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I went to Alaska on a shoestring budget in 1999 and I have been saving coin to do it again some day. Some day might not ever come as things have changed. But I still have a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of change.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Last year a friend of mine had a mid-seventies 1895 45-70 (No crossbolt) sent back to the factory to be updated with an 1895 CB barrel, magazine and wood. It looked great and IIRC the price was around $300 or a little less.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

$300 sounds very reasonable to end up with a basically a new gun for yourself.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Did you ask them if they put the new chcekered wood on the forearm? I believe they will, and it might mismatch the buttstock. For a tiny bit more they'll change the buttstock too.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott -

Did they ever recover the Marlin stolen out of your vehicle late last year?
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

ScottT wrote:Got a quote of $304 and I may have enough in my old Alaska fund to do this.......They replace everything from the reciever forward.
Sounds like a nice plan. I like my rifles with the 1/2 magazine tube. There is a JC Higgins Marlin in 35 Rem at my local shop I can pick up reasonable, I may follow suit.Thanks for the info Scott.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Anybody have a rifle rebarreled by Marlin lately?

Post by El Mac »

ScottT wrote:I am having a hell of a time getting through to them on their customer service line.

I have a 336 that someone abused the front end on and I would like to replace it with a rifle barrel anyway.

Comments?
Going to do the same thing with a Glenfield. Not sure if I'll go .30-30 or .38-55. The only down side is that they will have the Marlin Billboard stamped on the barrel. <barf>

If I could find a 'smith that would rebarrel it and matching mag tube for near the same, I'd go that route and not have the repulsive billboard.
Sgt Ryan
Levergunner

Post by Sgt Ryan »

I have had two rifles cowboy'd up from marlin. They replace everything from the reciever forward. The 95 was returned with the new front stock that did not match the old butt stock. I had to cut down the old front stock to fit so the wood was the same. looks really good. I did a second 336 rifle that started out as a 30-30. I debated about going to a 38-55 but decided against it and stayed with the 30-30. I installed a precision gun works stocks with a cresant butt plate. Octagon barrel on both. Seems like the cost was around 300 each. Both of these rifles were pre cross bolt safety. Working with Marlin was top notch and a good turn around time. I called Marlin they gave me the information I needed to send the rifles in. They inspected the guns and gave me a cost for the modifications, I approved the transaction and they sent the rifles back along with the old parts. Easy as pie.