Moments of stupidity- what have you sold and why

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Moments of stupidity- what have you sold and why

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

What have you sold and regretted selling and why?

After a break up with my ex, when I needed replacement furniture, I sold:

1. Remington model 7 in 7-08
2. Browning 92 in 357 (which I have just replaced in .44)
3. Browning 71 in 348
I also got rid of a Mannlicher 243 at this time but did not regret its loss.

I have also parted with a martini Cadet in 256 win mag, .22 Winchester 9422 and a 92 with octagonal heavy barrel in 25/20 but without excuse other than I was a young fellow who wanted something faster.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Moments of stupidity- what have you sold and why

Post by Mokwaw »

1. Belgium Browning Challenger .22 pistol...to which I had placed a Medalist barrel on....most accurate pistol I have ever owned.

2. Colt 1917 .45 acp army issue revolver...got it from my Great Uncle...now he's gone and so is the gun.

3. Belgium Browning .22 ATD rifle...now I have a chinese copy.

4. Belgium Browning Hi Power.

5. Colt .45 acp 70's series...that my Dad had given me.

6. Remington 1100 20 ga.....gave it to a nephew, who traded it for a bottle of whiskey. I didn't know at the time he was an alcoholic.

That's enough for now.
UNITE
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I find it real hard to part with a gun. I usually buy them and keep them. The most notable exception was a Keltec P3-AT. I could not shoot it well as it was just too small for my meat hooks. No problem with the gun, just the shooter. So, I traded for a Para USA LDA/PDA. I have been happy with the outcome.

Now some of the guns that I bought did not turn out to be what I'd hoped, and don't get used as often as they should, but every time I go to part with them the feeling I had when I bought them returns, and they remain part of my collection. That would make another interesting thread.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

you would be amazed at the number of firearms that have passed through these hands. Some I wanted back and bought again (and again in some cases), others aren't missed at all. In the end, no matter how much I enjoy them and value them, they are just things to me and I won't be taking any with me when I too pass from this life. I'm just a care taker for a period of time (in some cases) a very short period of time.
:lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

lthardman wrote:I find it real hard to part with a gun. I usually buy them and keep them. The most notable exception was a Keltec P3-AT. I could not shoot it well as it was just too small for my meat hooks. No problem with the gun, just the shooter. So, I traded for a Para USA LDA/PDA. I have been happy with the outcome.

Now some of the guns that I bought did not turn out to be what I'd hoped, and don't get used as often as they should, but every time I go to part with them the feeling I had when I bought them returns, and they remain part of my collection. That would make another interesting thread.
My situation as well. Firearms tend to go in one direction in my house - into the collection. I have sold a couple, but with no regrets. You get a lemon every now and again, and though I don't shoot all of them frequently, I do want them to work when I do shoot them.

For me more of the regrets are the opposite - not jumping on a good deal when I had the opportunity...
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I regret two...

Model 70 Win. FWT Push feed in .223 Remington
Model 70 Win. FWT Classic Stainless w/wood stock in .300WM

Most of the others I've sold went to people who I knew and I know are appreciating them...but those two I regret...mostly because I can't find replacements any more. That little .223 Rem would keep 5 shots in a Skoal can at 300 yards with factory ammo...can't believe I let that one go...

Ed
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

As a result of a divorce, when I was at absolute rock bottom financially, I sold:

A pristine Smith & Wesson Model 1917 in .45 ACP complete with the ordinance bomb. And a Lawrence holster.

An A H Fox S x S 12 gauge. In somewhat well used shape.

A Hi-Standard Field King with a 4" barrel and a long target barrel with recoil slots. It had been accurized with a trigger stop, etc. Also with two Lawrence holsters, one flower carved.

I recovered both financially and emotionally, but still regret the sale.
Happy Trails!
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

Kimber Gold Match .45 ACP. Martini Cadets in .256 Winchester, .218 Bee and .20-20 K.C.F. (think .20 Mashburn Bee), the last of which was topped with a 10X Lyman Junior Targetspot. Bernardelli Italia 12 gauge hammer gun. Winchester Model 21 12 gauge with extractors and a splinter forend. Lots of other stuff I don't miss, but those I do.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

1. A nice 12 gauge parker modern steel double barrel hammerless, bought for $21s when I was 13 at a county auction, and later got traded out of.
2. A 1862 sharps carbine that I later sold back to the guy I bought it from as he said his family wouldnt forgive him as it had been in the family forever.
3. A springfield 45-70 carbine.
4. A whitneyville armory 50 something buffalo rifle that weighed about 13 pounds with a heavy octogon barrel and looked like a huge remington rolling block.
5. A winchester 73 I had converted to .38 special.
6. A winchester 92 rifle I had converted to .357 mag.
7. A old winchester 94 octogon barrel 30-30.
8. A winchester model 43 in .218 bee.
9. Two different nice winchester model 62s.
10. A very early colt AR-15.
11. A nice marlin mountie, also a marlin 39-A.
12. Both a colt and a S&W 1917s in unfired condition.
13. Several colt single actions, both 1st and 2nd generations.
14. A colt police positive with colt ivory medallion grips in fine condition.
15. A S&W regulation police like new.
16. A colt new service in .38 special like new.
17. Another colt new service in .45 colt.
18. A ruger hawkeye in .256 win mag.
19. A 1906 luger german commercial with idea stock/holster.
20. Two different S&W model 39s.
21. A beautifull old Browning high power.
22. A almost unfired Radom nazi marked 9mm with holster and tools.
23. Another .32 browning nazi marked with holster and tools.
24. A stainless colt combat commander.
25. A colt .45 series 70.
26. A mini 14.
27. A matched pair of 2nd series colt 1860 armys cased with all tools and a shoulder stock.
28. A old colt .357 trooper I bought new and carried on the job many years.
29. A colt officers model match I also carried on my job.
30. A pre model 27 S&W .357 mag in 5" that I gave to a friend for a favor.
31. A S&W 1917 that I had converted to shoot .45 colt and ACP with smith target sights added.
32. A martini I had converted to .256 win mag.
33. A old ruger blackhawk I had converted to .44 special.
34. A real rare never seen another, old .22 ruger single six that was NICKLE, with ruger medellin stag grips.
35. A heavy colt nickle scout with walnut grips. (I have another one from the 50s now, but it seems lighter).
36. A S&W model 41 .22 LR.
37. A S&W model 51 .22 WMRF that I had smith also fit up a extra .22 LR clyinder.
38. A S&W 4" nickle model 19 357.
39. A colt new frontier .22 LR scout.
40. A colt sport model woodsmen.
I have made myself sick. The ones I listed are just off the top of my head that I owned and stupidly sold. Some were to finance other guns, divorice, child support etc. all in the last 55 years. I suppose I have also owned about double that many other guns that have come and went. I also lost a huge amount on several big thefts. Here are some of them.
1. The one that hurts the most: A colt new frontier 5 1/2" .45 colt. serial #5355 NF. Audie Murphy ordered this and a consecitivly numbered one that he willed his two sons. The son took his to a pawn shop, didnt tell them he was audies son. I bought it not knowing either, researched the gun and well documented it! I belive my ex-wife disposed of it and many more when she ran off with another married man. Here are more she took plus other guns that were lost in several burglarys.
2. A colt 1878 DA army .45 colt.
3. A nickle .38 colt, colt lighting with pearl grips.
4. A colt SAA from 1906 in .38 WCF.
5. A early nickle S&W DA #3 .44. (Breaktop).
6. A .41 Remington Derringer.
7. A beautfull luger with holster and tools I had inherited by a highly decorated favorite uncle.
Other lost ones by a breakin.
A. A winchester 9422 .22 WMRF That I bought new when they first came out.
B. A savage 30-30 bolt action.
C. A Walther 380 PPK.
D. A sporterised K-98 mauser that was my dads.
E. A winchester 92 .44 WCF that was made 1902, came off a indian reservation with rawhide and tacks.
F. A remington 31 I had inherited.
G. A winchester model 67 I had as a boy.
F. A old ruger convertable single six I bought new in 1961.
Heck, here is a list of them with the numbers, I just remembered I had them listed elsewhere.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

back in the late 70's I accumulated several bargain priced Colt SAA's at yard sales and estate auctions in West Tennessee. During the early 80's I got strapped for cash and ended up sell all of them "short".

None were showcase pistols... but any one of the 7 would be worth more today than what I sold all of them for back then.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I've only sold one that I really wish I could have back. It was a heavy sporterized 1917 (well done) with a shot out barrel. I sold it because of the weight and I had another 30-06. If I could do it over again, I'd re-barrel it with a premium barrel chambered for 35 Whelen and not look back. That stock fit me like no other I've found since.
Well done is better than well said.