TOT- Sunday Cruising

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

TOT- Sunday Cruising

Post by GANJIRO »

Took the "Makule Akule" out this Sunday afternoon following morning meeting. This time my son Isaac and wife Vandi decided to join me. I thought it a good time to try out an electric Evinrude outboard my brother gave me on his last trip out. The wind was a solid 20 knots so stayed inside the reef where relatively calm. Went offshore about a half mile to Popoi'a Islet aka Flat Island. We did a brief perimeter hike of islet then continued trolling along Kailua Beach, only thing to show for it a 24" stickfish, but still a great day. The electric motor nice and quiet but limited in range so will mostly use in the canal between house and beach.

Looking at Lanikai Point from Popoi'a Islet
Me & Makule Akule at beach on Popoi'a Islet
Popoi'a landscape
Isaac fishing the back side of Popoi'a
Isaac's Lizardfish promptly released
Views of Makule Akule
Vandi and Me on Popoi'a
Vandi and Isaac next to Makule Akule
SCORE! One Stickfish promptly released (at least not skunked)
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

NEATO!

It is nice to see everyone having such a great time. Thanks for sharing, Ganjiro.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good. The clarity of the water reminds me of Midway Is.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Great way to spend a day!
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

An Makule Akule means what? Beautiful scenery and a great day out with the family. Would love to get back to Hawaii some day. Ganjiro, you were my inspiration for leaning how to post pictures.
Zack
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

A beautiful family, in a beautiful place. :D
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Ya got some really wierd looking fish there Ji. Wish I was there. It was -4 degrees here this morning. Didn't get above 14 yesterday. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's gorgeous scenery. I almost wish I was there. Sure would beat IL.

I got one and only one phobia that I haven't been able to bring under control.
I hate swimming in water where I can't see the bottom. It's not a depth thing, if the bottom is 40' down and I can see it, I'm fine, but if it's 4' down and I cant see the bottom, nope, not going in. I'll stay in the boat.

It looks like there is a lot of water with seeable bottoms there. Looks like fun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Here's a picture of one of my earlier trips to Popoi'a Islet dating back almost 40 years- May 1968: that's me, my Dad, my brother Bo and my Dad's then new custom built Dory the "Shachi" (Japanese for Orca).

Longfin "makule" means old or senile, and "akule" is a type of mackerel found here so basically "senile mackerel". When I first caught sight of her she was belly up, old, corroded, and the shape of her bottom instantly reminded me of a mackerel and the name just popped out at me. It is pronounced "mah-coo-leh" "ah-coo-leh".

April 15 will be my parents 58th wedding anniversary. At least 2 and hopefully 4 of my siblings will be here and we will scatter some of my parents ashes in Kailua Bay in the area of Popoi'a Islet. We will use his dory and my canoe to ferry us out.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

That's Great Ji. It is neat that your pics were taken in the same spot 40 years apart.

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Ji,

Tell me more about that Banks dory. Did your dad build it?
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Arrrgggghh......I hate those Stickfish..!

I caught a bunch of something similar in the sea of Cortez. I think they called it a Coronet fish down there. Ambush predators and are Hell on live bait.

Beautiful pics,....wish I could be there today. It's 18 degrees with ice here today.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

homefront wrote:Ji,

Tell me more about that Banks dory. Did your dad build it?
Aloha Charley, My Dad special ordered his Grand Banks Dory from Aeolis Boat Works of Davenport, California it being built to my Dad's specs by the owner Mr. Bill Grumwald. I just learned 10 years too late that Bill Grumwald passed away http://www.edgeta.org/bg.htm. What an excellent craftsman he was. I believe forum member Grizz also had a Banks Dory made my Bill.

This is Dad with his first Banks Dory at age 20 summer of 1941

My Dad & Mom with his second Banks Dory 1959 Chiba, Japan (Mom was pregnant with me in photos

This is a Carolina Dory Dad & Me built together in his garage in 1983/84, I named her VANDI after my wife

My Dad was a New England Yankee thus his love for the sea and Dories which rubbed off on me.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Arrrgggghh......I hate those Stickfish..!

I caught a bunch of something similar in the sea of Cortez. I think they called it a Coronet fish down there. Ambush predators and are Hell on live bait.

Beautiful pics,....wish I could be there today. It's 18 degrees with ice here today.
Yup, that's what they are the Coronet fish usually a PITA, but when they get big (caught a couple 53" and 61") you can get long boneless white filets that is quite tasty but not worth bothering with if they are smaller than 48".
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

PITA is right..! Almost as big a pain as Needlefish. The ones I caught were in the 36"-48" range. Didn't know they were fit to eat.

They kinda freak me out when you pull them in the boat to unhook them and they're moving their mouth. I swear it looks like you're pulling the hook out of a pair of lips. :shock:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

you lucky dog!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Great pics. Man, we love the Islands and get over there every year or two. Last October we spent 10 days on Maui (Wailea) and got to visit Lanai for the first time, beautiful. I really like Kauai too, laid back fits my style.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Your a lucky man Ji.
Great pictures too.
I have an Ocean Kayak that is rigged for fishing, I use it to fish for bass & trout in the Colorado River and haul it down to Baja a couple times a year for salt water fishing.
Here is a picture of it on the river.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Wish I were there...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You really have me wanting to get a canoe. I've been wanting a kayak but been leaning towards a canoe lately. That way if one of the kids or Boss lady wants to go along they can. There was a guy down the street selling one like yours last summer w/ the out rigger and a sail. Didn't have time to stop. Next day it was gone :? At three bucks a gallon I only had the speed boat out half a dozen times last summer!

Keep those sunny pictures comming! was 19degrees today!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Great pics Ji,

Are the lizzard fish as slimey there as here in Socal?
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

jengel wrote:That's Great Ji. It is neat that your pics were taken in the same spot 40 years apart.

WOW, I don't know how I missed that, THANKS! Must have been subconscious. I noticed too between the two pictures how much the beach on Lanikai had eroded away with plenty sand in old picture but almost none in new. I have so many pleasant memories on that island and they all come back to me each time i'm there.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

salvo wrote:Your a lucky man Ji.
Great pictures too.
I have an Ocean Kayak that is rigged for fishing, I use it to fish for bass & trout in the Colorado River and haul it down to Baja a couple times a year for salt water fishing.
Here is a picture of it on the river.

Aloha Scott, That's a mighty fine setup you have there fit for Hawaiian waters. Offshore Kayak fishing getting very popular here, you have a blast catching Mahimahi and Ono (Wahoo) from your Kayak. Thanks for sharing.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I think that another 5' to 10' forward and to the right and they would have been aligned perfectly. I tell ya, from the stuff that you have posted in the past couple of years, I really miss your parents too. All in all, you're a lucky guy. I wish I could come down to Texas during your hunt and shake your hand.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Ji,

Great Pictures! You are indeed fortunate. I really admire you and your family.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

You're a blessed man, JI.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.