OT Texicans are a new REPUBLIC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

OT Texicans are a new REPUBLIC

Post by Mutt »

Today is San Jacinto Day . Texas won it's independence from Mexico .

On April 21, 1836, Mexican rule over Texas came to a dramatic close. The climax of the Texas Revolution, the Battle of San Jacinto eventually moved America’s western border to the Pacific Ocean. And its story will move you—to a better understanding of America.

http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/The_Battle/

" REMEMBER THE ALAMO " !!!!!!!!!! :D
Last edited by Mutt on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdhold

Re: OT Texicans are a new REPUBLIC

Post by bdhold »

yeah, just wish old Sam had known how to keep gold in the coffers - we'd still be a republic.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Note to self: If a pile of angry TEXANS is hot on your trail, don't stop for a quick nap.

Living in Texas and Lovin it!

Remember the Alamo!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

octagon wrote:Note to self: If a pile of angry TEXANS is hot on your trail, don't stop for a quick nap.

Living in Texas and Lovin it!

Remember the Alamo!

Not even if you have a very atrctive bedfellow!

But the truth is, when Antonio Lopez de Snta Ana lay down with "The Yellow Rose of Texas" to take a little siesta, he though (with very good reason) that he was chasing Texicans, not the other way around.

Old Santa Ana thought that The Great Skedaddle was still in progress and was unaware that the Texicans had turned to fight. He was the first to learn the hard way that you can chase Texicans just so far befoe they turn and fight.

IMO, Houston really screwed up when he let Santa Ana go before all the Mexican Army was out of Texas, and the Peace Treaty widely published across Mexico.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

FYI: There is no "c" in "Texian", which was the preferred vernacular at the time.

Scott
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

RSY wrote:FYI: There is no "c" in "Texian", which was the preferred vernacular at the time.

Scott
I've seen it both ways Scot.

I general Texican has been uses to describe residents of Tejas up through the time of the Revolution, Texian was generally used to describe residents of the Republic of Texas, and of course since Texas entered the Union it has been Texan.

Just be glad i didn't make mention of Baja Oklahoma. i didn't want to start a range war. :twisted:
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Doc Hudson wrote:Just be glad i didn't make mention of Baja Oklahoma. i didn't want to start a range war. :twisted:
OUCH!!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

what happens when we tell Coloradans we used to own 1/3 of their state?
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

bulldog1935 wrote:what happens when we tell Coloradans we used to own 1/3 of their state?

Same thing that happens when you tell New Mexicans that Texas usd to own half the state. The makings of a pretty good brawl.

Image Image
UNITE!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

(that's OK, Doc, it was a rhetorical question)
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Republic of Texas 1845

Covering a vast range of territory from Mexico to Wyoming, the Republic of Texas straddled the fledgling Intercontinental United States. This image features the original 36 counties of the Republic, 78 Spanish land grants along the Rio Grande (present day New Mexico).

we only kept the good stuff and tossed the rest back :lol: :lol:
DAV life member.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Pete, i know that map represents territory claimed by the Republic of Texas, and traditionally included in the old Mexican State of Tejas y Coahuila, but were the Texians ever able to take actual control of what is noe New Mexico?

I seem to remember several Texian Expeditions, including the Meier Expedition, that came to grief trying to oust the Mexicans from New Mexico.

Image Image
UNITE!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Doc Hudson wrote:I seem to remember several Texian Expeditions, including the Meier Expedition, that came to grief trying to oust the Mexicans from New Mexico.
Black beans, anyone???
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Honor the Texas flag;
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

everytime I think about obummer I remember this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjGgiDl ... re=related
DAV life member.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could. I like most of the 49 States, well 55or so according to one President's statements several times, but I like Texas the best. Many others seem to be in my shoes, as it is hard to find more than half of any crowd which is Native Born here in Texas. Anyway, I celebrated Texas' Birthday by toasting the Texas flag and throwing away a pack of gum. (Anyone know who introduced chewing gum to the U.S.? Hint, he was defeated at San Jacinto, but not killed.)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

piller wrote:Antonio Lopes de Santa Ana (Anyone know who introduced chewing gum to the U.S.? Hint, he was defeated at San Jacinto, but not killed.)

Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana!

He showed it to the American peace Commissioners during the treaty talks that officially ended the Mexican War. I'm not sure if it ws some form of bribe or if he expected to make a profit. I'm just certain he had some sort of ulterior motive behind his little gift.

Another trivia question for you!

How many different times was Santa Ana President/dictator of Mexico?

Image Image
UNITE!
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I'm no historian, but I don't think the Mier Expedition had anything to do with New Mexico. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... /qym2.html. During the existence of the Republic of Texas, the Texians' hands were plenty full with matters much further east (Comanches, Mexicans, general lack of infrastructure or civilization), so no, they never really controlled what is now New Mexico. Never really tried, for that matter. Maybe you are referring to the Santa Fe Expedition. Rather than being an effort to displace New Mexicans, that was actually an attempt to sway Santa Fe merchants and thereby reap the benefits of commerce between St. Louis and Santa Fe on the Santa Fe Trail. It failed: the New Mexican governor, loyal to Mexico, sent armed troops to meet the Texians.

There were some failed Confederate attacks launched from Texas on Union forces in New Mexico (Glorietta Pass, Valverde), but that was an entirely different matter--and they occurred in 1862.

God and Texas.

Doc Hudson wrote:Pete, i know that map represents territory claimed by the Republic of Texas, and traditionally included in the old Mexican State of Tejas y Coahuila, but were the Texians ever able to take actual control of what is noe New Mexico?

I seem to remember several Texian Expeditions, including the Meier Expedition, that came to grief trying to oust the Mexicans from New Mexico.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

If Santa Ana had lived another 150 years, he would see that his side is winning. :cry:
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Too true, too true.