338 ME or 35 Rem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

338 ME or 35 Rem

Post by Bigahh »

Need some help for my nephew. He wants to Purchase a Marlin Lever soon, and is having trouble deciding on which Caliber. He intends to use the rifle for 150 yards or less, most likely much less for Whitetails and Black Bear. The cover we hunt in is extremely thick, and he would like a heavier slug than a 30-30. He wants a 20 or 22 inch barrel, and is leaning toward the Black/Grey Laminated and having the barrel chopped to 20 inches, or the 336 ss in 35. I told him I would opt for the 35 in either Gun as the new 338 does not give many options. He said he may like the new 250 Grain Remington load, but I told him it may not be a good choice for Deer as it may be designed for the Big stuff, and the 35 is proven for what he wants. Opinions?
Last edited by Bigahh on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: 338 ME or 35 Rem

Post by iceman »

I would lean towards the 35 rem also. Known quantity/quality easier to find ammo for if he doesn't reload.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Iceman. Stay with "simplicity". There's always time to add another gun in the future. The 35 is a good caliber. :D --------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

35 Remington wins hands down. (I know, I know - big
surprise from me there! :lol: ) The cartridge
has been successfully harvesting herbivorous
quadripeds for over a century now, and the 200gr
Remington CoreLokt projectile has been giving
terrific, controlled-expansion service since the 1930s.

But seriously, ammunition is MUCH easier to find,
as are reloading components. The 35 will kill any
whitetail or black bear at the ranges you're talking
about. The big issue is ammo.

-Stretch
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I agree with all who posted so far go with the .35 Rem. Your nephew would do well to heed your advice :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.35 Remington sounds like it will do everything he needs, and more.

With the .35 Remington in a rifle-sized levergun, he can get a handy little .357 Mag carbine as a companion gun, and at least share some of the bullets if need arises. Plus a pistol or two.

I love my little ".35 Family"

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

.35 Remington for sure. Hard to improve on, generations of satisfied users.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

The 338 ME is probably a great cartridge, especially for longer range big game (200+ yards). However, out to 150 yards, it won't do anything the great 35 Remington can't do. A Marlin 336 in 35 Remington loaded with 200 grain Remington Core-Lokts at around 2000 fps is quite possibly the best all-around big game rig available for use inside 150 yards or so. It kills quickly and reliably, with minor meat damage, and with very tolerable recoil. And, ammo is readily available from online dealers. They, as well as the 200 grain Hornady LeverEvolution factory loads, shoot like lasers out of my 336. Just point and click.

Good luck and happy hunting!!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gotta go with the 35 remmy, I LOVE MINE! If he is worried the first shot might be farther(though it doesn't sound like it) Load ONE pointy bullet in the chamber and the rest 200 grain corelokt. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

35 Rem is proven on wt and black bear and is much more available.

There's no doubt that the new 338 Marlin is more powerful but the ammo availability and unknown future makes me suggest staying with the 35 Rem.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+1 on all above posts! :wink: (35 Rem.)
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Have them both. Got the 338 as might get a shot at an Elk from 25 to 300yds here. Since you are 150yds or less, as everyone else says, go with the 35Rem. Many 35cal bullets available, with few in 338. Handles cast, pistol or rifle bullets with aplomb and you can load the 200gr Rem bullet to very good velocities. My 336A will go 2,300fps+ with its 24" tube.

As an aside, my 35Rem will group half the size of the 338ME
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Here's one on gunbroker for $270 with 6 hours left on the auction: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =164291793 ETA - not sure about this seller - after I posted this, I went back and looked at his trader ratings - he's got a lot of negatives, so I'd steer clear of this - but its still a good example of what you'll find there...

Don't let that mount/scope bother you - they'll come right off if you don't like em. :wink:

Probably has taken scores of deer...

There are usually Marlins for sale around $300 give or take on gunbroker - just work out a deal with the local funshop to do the transfer.

I got my 35 Rem Marlin off of Gunbroker.

Just look for sellers with all positive or maybe only one negative rating (If they are a volume seller, they will get a negative sooner or later - out of hundereds of transactions).
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Let me say first I haven't used either on game and I just got a 35 Rem caliber Remington Model 8. However, I can give you data from a Professional Hunter's perspective. We've had the Maine bear camp lease for 9 years. The 35 Remington is the only cartridge that has been 100% on black bears. That is, every bear that was hit died and was recovered. Most were one shot but a few hunters hit 'em more than once very quickly. Coincidentally, none of our clients have every missed a bear with a 35 Rem that they admitted to. Overall, the 35 Rem has been fairly popular with the bear hunting clients - surprisingly so to me. The data when I include the few bears taken at our New Brunswick bear camp lease over the last four years along with the Maine camp includes 135 bears taken total - 27 of them with a 35 Remington! I've seen a sprinkling of 35's on our various deer hunts and exotic hunts too. I've never been excited about the 35 Remington. After my real life observations I decided to overlook the paper ballistics and try it for myself. I intend to use it for hogs and whitetail deer out to 100 yds this year. In another instance, my friend Kenny inhereted a collection of 35 Remington caliber pump rifles. He has every brand and model made to date (Standard Arms and Remington come to mind). He hunts deer exclusively with these rifles in the Northeast. In 16 years that included 20 deer he has never lost one. I can't say beyond that what the range, shot placement or conditions were but obviously he is using it within reasonable parameters. As a pour through my notes I see that nearly all the clients used 200 grain Remington Core Lokt. There are 3 unspecified handloads and 5 not noted at all. I hope you can use the above information to assist the decision making process. As far as the 338 Marlin, I have seen just two rifles so far used on exotic hunts. They worked well on fallow, red stag and aoudad. I distinctly noticed that the recoil wasn't bad at all. Both clients had the new XLR rifles and they wore a scope sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. The rifles were as accurate as any lever action I've seen and the bullet performance was good with some pass throughs and some recovered bullets. Most of the recovered bullets showed ample penetration but all had some loss of lead weight and jacket seperation. These were all factory loads. As time goes on there will inevitably be more data available on the 338 Marlin Express but for now I can only offer limited experiences.

Good Luck to both of you!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've picked up two pre-safety 336 Marlins in .35 Remington over the last two years. Gave the first one to Kid #2 for his first centerfire. I was so impressed with the accuracy and what i think is mild recoil that I had to have one for myself. The first I found at a show with a scratched up stock for $220. Re-finished the wood, put a scout scope on it and gave it to him for Christmas.
Got the second made in 1970 for $300 about three months ago. Looks unfired. Unfortunately I haven't had time to change that status.
Took me a couple months to scrounge up some ammo and brass. Every time the kid goes shooting with me he burns up all the .35s! :D

Been thinking I'd like to have a .338ME but it's further down the list than some others.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I can't argue about the .35.It is time proven. As time goes on "and" if Marlin really reopens in NY,I think the .338 will build a big following.Remington is takeing there good old time with the 250gr core-loct and I wouldn't be suprised if Hornady beats them to it and markets the 250's round nose befor Remington. But the .338 MX is really a nice rifle so far. :wink: .
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I would go .35 Rem for one reason I really do not think the .338ME will be around in ten years. Heck here you can find 35 Rem brass and ammo but I have only seen one in my life it must be a Eastern thing kinda why you find lot's of .280 Rem here and not down east.
Now I do have a .33Win but I can make brass from 45/70 and have lot's of the old 200gr FP Hornady's for it and a mould.
I have always wanted a Marlin in .35 or better yet a savage 170 pump.
Is the .338 Marlin a necked down .356? then I would get it as you will be able to find brass,it will be a hunt but you will find it I just saw about 500 .356 win brass yesterday wile looking for 45 colt brass. But with all the new cals coming out and if only Hornady or some off brand makes loads or brass good luck.
As long as it is based off a popular case you will be okay, that's my thinking anyway. I keep my guns and only sell 30/30s as I will find another around the corner that's nicer than the one I sold :lol:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

WOW! Pretty much a Slam Dunk. I am surprised actually. Some great Feedback, thank you everyone!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just to be ornery, I don't see a problem with the 30-30 :lol: Loaded with premium bullets, I would take it anywhere.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Let me toss my vote in for the .35 Rem. Like 86'r, I like to keep detailed records about animals taken. After looking thru my records, my 336 in .35 Rem has killed everything that I've dropped the hammer on, and recovery has been 100%...! How bout that..?

(Actually, this coyote is the only thing that I've pointed it at,... :wink: but it turned him almost inside out, you don't want to see the exit side.... :shock: )

I picked it up from my cousin in fair condition. The forearm was split so I fixed it. Then I tried to finish it back to match the buttstock. Never could do it, so I painted the wood with textured Krylon. Now, if I get a little scuff or scratch, a couple seconds with a can of Krylon makes it like new.

Mine shoots great and is plenty accurate out to 100 yards for what I need, and recoil is nil even with 200 gr. bullets. I love mine.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have both also. One needs both don`t you know. :D
dpe.ahoy
Levergunner

Post by dpe.ahoy »

I have 3 35 Rem's and a 338 MXLR. At 150 yd or less the 35 will do anything you ask it to do, will do it well and not much recoil. The 338 will do the same at longer ranges and has a suprisingly mild recoil. The 338 is to good to disappear in 10 years, not worried about that, and the 35 has been around for more than 100 yrs. Why anyone would only want one is a total mystery to me, get the 35 first, then the 338. DP