Marlin versus Winchester Value

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Marlin versus Winchester Value

Post by jkbrea »

I have a question. I am by no means an expert on leverguns or any guns. I own a couple Marlins and Winchesters, along with several other types of firearms. Recently while searching online for a Wincheser 30-30, I noticed that the Marlins are much cheaper to purchase than Winchesters. As a matter of fact, I ended up buying a Marlin 336A in excellent condition for $250. As much as I like my Winchesters, my Marlins seem more solid to me. Am I wrong or are Winchesters fetching more money? I didn't think it was because of them not producing them anymore but maybe I'm wrong.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin versus Winchester Value

Post by Swampman »

Since Winchester shut down prices have been high. Personally I think the post-1964 Winchesters are very poor quality firearms. I love my Marlins and I have 9 of them. Marlin prices may climb since the company is moving to New York. Personally I'm glad Remington bought Marlin. There is no better value than used Marlin leveraction rifles. Twice the gun for half the money.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The last guns I'll ever part with are my Winchesters. Pre or Post-64 they are still Winchesters.

And to answer your question. Yes, all things being equal a Winchester will usually bring more money
than a Marlin.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

real old marlins...= $ and will hold or gain in value as long as they are not messed with.
later model marlins are cheaper than winchesters but your right...they are very solid guns...
and there are tons of them out there....
Winchesters, pre or post 64's, will hold there value or gain in value...
Pre 64s are much better than the post 64s in quality and depending on the
model, year, and caliber...and condition...prices can really start to climb...
Take a look on gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com, actionarms.com and
and then go to collectorfirearms.com or merzantiqueguns.com
you will see what I mean...
and Since Winchester stopped making leverguns,
a couple of years ago...prices have just gone nuts....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Well, on Gunbroker I just bought a Marlin 336A in excellent condition with only 40 rounds fired through it for $250. I went to my local gunshop to get a copy of his FFL and he told me he has been having trouble getting Marlin 30-30's recenty. He thinks its because of the Marlin plant moving. I wonder if that will drive up the prices. I tried to buy a couple Winchesters first but "no sales to Ca," kept coming up. I know it's like a third world country here in some places but its still the USA, sort of. :wink:
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

All C&R eligable guns can be bought and sold in California with no state restrictions ---EXCEPT ALL HANDGUNS, even C&R eligable, --- they must go through a FFL holder in California. So, if you see a C&R eligable gun you want, you might try to contact the buyer or seller and ask about it. Getting a C&R license for your personal use in California is not restricted, and is a simple process through the Federal ATF website. $30.00 for 3 years. I got my money back on the first purchase I made, saving my California FFL dealers fee.
The "No sales to California" used by advertisers on the web gun sites are a catch-all, and should be questioned by a buyer in the case of C&R type purchases. Doesn't work all the time, but is worth the try.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Swampman wrote:Since Winchester shut down prices have been high. Personally I think the post-1964 Winchesters are very poor quality firearms. I love my Marlins and I have 9 of them. Marlin prices may climb since the company is moving to New York. Personally I'm glad Remington bought Marlin. There is no better value than used Marlin leveraction rifles. Twice the gun for half the money.
Based upon the posts I've seen on the recently produced Marlins, it seems that Marlin has now joined Winchester in being 'Half the gun for twice the money'. :o
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Nope Marlins are still top notch guns. Still twice the gun for 1/2 the money. Personally I wouldn't have a post-64.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~