OT: $429 Garand arrived... pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT: $429 Garand arrived... pics

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OK fellas, the Garand arrived yesterday (or missing the truck by 20 minutes... :x , I drove over to the UPS service center and picked it up).

Here are the pics:

It looks pretty good overall with the exception of the bore. When I first pushed a patch through and looked at it, it looked like a sewer pipe - no rifling to be seen - dirty dirty dirty. Well, I applied the brush, more patches - over and over and finally started seeing the rifling. The muzzle is shot - swallows a .308" bullet down about 3/4 of the way... so I will probably replace the barrel.

I've been checking around and found this outfit: http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Shopservices.htm. They will do a complete barrel install for $60 - you supply the barrel! That's very good IMHO. I do need to check on thse guys though for referrences.

I may go "all the way" with this. That same outfit will install a new comercial barrel for $300. They say its a "Criterion" barrel which is made by Kreiger Barrels... Might do that and then get a new stock too.

Or, I might just clean up the old stock and find a decent GI barrel - they're being sold on gunbroker and as Hobie has indicated, the CMP is selling them too - along with correct replacement stocks... hmm.

Anyway, I'm good with this for the money. I was hoping for a decent barrel but expected to have to replace it.

So, there you have it. Oh, and I found a great site for dissasembly instructions: http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/rifl ... /index.asp

The serial number is a six digit number and the 423XXX indicates that its a January, 1942 production receiver. The trigger group is also Springfield Armory fwiiw.

So, want to roll the dice? :P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: $429 Garand arrived... pics

Post by madman4570 »

Not too bad!
Ah come on/clean that baby up and shoot her.
Report after sighting it in what the gun will do??????????
Take a damp cloth/iron set on steam and see how many dents come out of the stock also.

Might be surprised,That gun might be a SHOOTER! :?:
If it does shoot,but the stock still is unacceptable fill them dents and Dura-Coat it!

Or--------with wood that dark------------

Dont laugh but they can match stain now with exterior paint that would blow your mind.
We had Lowes match our dark stained oak trim with Valspar and it matches exactly?????????
Didnt want to house to stink for a year????????
Then they said for somthing exposed outside they make a clear coat spray that sprays over it and
it will last a long time without wearing.and even looks like there's grains in the wood???????

A couple friends came over to the house and could not tell which trim was stained or painted. :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

+1 on what madman4570 said...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:+1 on what madman4570 said...!

THANKS------- DOCAJ

It's not being cheap, I like to call it being "frugal" :D
Besides I am curious what that fine gun will do as she sits?
Thanks!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've always wanted an M1, never had the $$$.¢¢ to get one.
I like that one O.S.O.K., and were it mine I'd clean it up and shoot it first, then if the bore were too badly gone I'd put a new GI or equivalent barrel on it and leave it as is. It's got history, a personality, and an aura that just reeks of adventure. That's they way I like 'em.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I just wonder what tales it could tell,,,,

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Unfortunately, the more I clean the bore, the more readily apparent it is that it's wasted. Pitted. I think the chamber even has some pitting.

So, its going to turn into a restored shooter.

The stock is really dried out too. I wanted to just clean it up and retain it but the front handguard is cracked in two places longitudinally, the rear handguard has a chunk that broke off and the gouges down next to the bottom metal are rather bad.

Since its going to get a new barrel, I'm giving it a new stock too. What the heck.

I'm using money that I got from selling some other guns - some old handguns.

Even with the added $$ for the replacements, this will be a decent priced shooter Garand.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Nice find, OSOK. I think you'll find that Garands are a hoot to own and shoot. My 1956 H&R M1 is one of my favorite rifles.

Make sure you post some more pics as she gets cleaned up.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You rolled the dice once... roll 'em again.

It might be a long shot but you'll never know if that old barrel will shoot till you try it. As long as it's safe you've got nothing to loose.

Go ahead and take the old girl out, you know you want to.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Where did you get it? Is that a CMP rack grade? Any import marks?

For what it's worth I put a CMP replacement stock on my old six-number Springfield that came with a stock about like yours back in the '90s and it really made it shoot much better. And of course it just flat out looks much better too. A new barrel and a new stock will really make that baby a shooter!

If you want to shoot standard production ammo out of it (vs. only GI ball surplus ammo) you'll need an adjustable gas plug for it so give that some thought also.

Best,
Oly
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=26385

I'll be loading milspec 150 grain loads for her using ball powder - probably W760 but I need to refer to the manuals.

And guys, when I say the barrel is toast, I'm not kidding. And I don't have a guage to check headspace and given the looks of the bore and chamber, I'll just go straight to the new barrel thank you. ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well good luck with it. I remember reading some time back that Korea was releasing thousands of them and I guess they've started to show up but if they're shot out I'm struggling to understand why a person wouldn't just go with a CMP Garand.

Best,
Oly
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=26385

I'll be loading milspec 150 grain loads for her using ball powder - probably W760 but I need to refer to the manuals.

And guys, when I say the barrel is toast, I'm not kidding. And I don't have a guage to check headspace and given the looks of the bore and chamber, I'll just go straight to the new barrel thank you. ;)
I use 47.5gr of IMR4895 with a CCI #34 primer under a Sierra 150gr Matchking. It chrony's just a hair under 2700fps. And deadly out to the 200yrd line during our local Garand matches. The 150gr Gameking is perfect for close-in hog hunting in the local foothills.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks Stew - I'll look at that load. I need to stay with realatively fast burners though correct? Or is it more properly stated to just stay away from the slow burners?

And if you want a good to go Garand, then yes a $600 "rack grade" CMP Garand is the better route.

I have a CMP Garand - or rather, my Dad has it. Back when I jumped the hoops to get it, they were going for $250 - but I didn't have the cash and asked my Dad to take it and when he was through with it, sell it back to me for $250. He agreed and he's not done with it yet.... :lol:

Consider the SOG guns as being "kits" in that you should get a decent receiver and parts but don't count on the barrel and stock. The stock is really dry and when I took the action out, it was rather light - indicating that the drying is through and through... that and the brittleness of the upper handguads made me decide to go with a replacement stock.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Thanks Stew - I'll look at that load. I need to stay with relatively fast burners though correct? Or is it more properly stated to just stay away from the slow burners?
Exactly. You should stick with medium-rate burning powders. Slow burners will bash the op rod to pieces over time when you start messing with bullets over 175gr. Every publication and manual I can find nearly always lists IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 as the "go-to" powders for the M1. I seem to recall W760 listed a few times as well.

The Sierra manual has notes on reloading for the M1 as does the manual from several other powder and bullet vendors.

Have fun!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:And guys, when I say the barrel is toast, I'm not kidding. And I don't have a guage to check headspace and given the looks of the bore and chamber, I'll just go straight to the new barrel thank you. ;)
2 words: 3-0-8

2 more: 7-ought-8 (how fun would THAT be in a Garand? :mrgreen: )
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

osok another good powder if you want to with ball is AA2520.it meters great and has work ed well in 30/06 and 308.with the M1 you have to watch the pressure due to the op rod ditto with a M1A.
good luck with your project.

ping
DAV life member.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks guys. I just sent the barreled receiver and bolt off to Dean's Gun Restorations in Jacksboro, TN. They'll install a Kreiger Criterion match barrel for $295.

I tried to unscrew the current barrel but I just couldn't get the receiver secured in a padded vice and I didn't want to damage the receiver, so I just packed it up as-is and sent it to them. They have the barrels in stock and I should get this back in a couple of weeks max.

I really wanted to get the barrel off and try parkerizing the stripped reciever. I would have to get a cheapo sandblaster first as this is required prior to the parking.

I may have them park the receiver if it's not too much, but I saw that they charge over $100 for a 1911... so I probably won't bother.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've wanted one of them for years and can't break the funds loose to get one. :cry:

Good find!

RANGE REPORT when it comes back!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I sold a few bent barreled marlins to buy mine(DCM) :lol: .

DAV life member.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sweet - collector's grade? Very nice.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I bought off a old gent that was selling off a few of his rifles....he had 10 M-1's he collected over the years.this one is a springfield 1954.
pete
DAV life member.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, its a dandy. I know quite a few older gents myself but they never sell any guns! Just my luck :x :wink:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!