OT - Went hunting today with just my knife...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Went hunting today with just my knife...

Post by deerwhacker444 »

and scored these babies...!

I was a few days late and some of them have started to dry up. I'll just trim that off. I've never found any HUGE ones, but I did find one nice one (for Oklahoma).

The only way I've cooked these is dipping them in egg, dredging in flour and frying. How do you guys do it? Any alternative methods that I'm missing out on..?

For those of you out there that hunt shrooms,..Good Luck..!

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Went hunting today with just my knife...

Post by TedH »

Oh I'm sooo jealous! :mrgreen: I'm going to try and get out after some on Saturday.
NRA Life Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

You realize of course that when the Mushroom Cops see that photo they will hunt you down and give you a ticket for going over the limit. :twisted:

Nice haul!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

you know, they hunt hogs that way in south Texas.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

And the Morel of this story is? :D
Nice find! I think they are monsters in size compared to the ones here.I am not a good mushroom hunter, always worry about poisoning myself.
I just brush them off and fry in Garlic butter.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

brno602 wrote:And the Morel of this story is? :D
Nice find! I think they are monsters in size compared to the ones here.I am not a good mushroom hunter, always worry about poisoning myself.
I just brush them off and fry in Garlic butter.

Me too, except I leave out the garlic :D
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Never seen any of those around these parts.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Never seen any of those around here.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

bulldog1935 wrote:you know, they hunt hogs that way in south Texas.
In Mississippi too! Derned idjits!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Sauté in browned butter with minced shallots, white pepper, one fresh sage leaf and a splash of madera, serve over a nice medium rare backstrap with wild rice.

I'd use some wild asparagus I picked from the ditch too
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Wow, nice haul, you're in for some good eating. Your method of cooking is the only way I ever remember seeing them cooked. I remember picking them in the wooded areas when we lived in Illinois long ago. They grow in here in South Dakota but given that there are few areas with the kind of tree growth that supports them, they are not found in my area very often.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

You've been "shrooming".

That explains a whoooollle lot Andy.

:shock: :lol:

I've never eaten wild mushrooms. Don't think I'd trust myself to pick the "good" ones.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Smack me silly!! What a haul of Morels! I'm envious. I just fry mine in butter, but your recipe sure sounds good. I eat them by themselves, but I've had them in my grandma's homemade gravy and, man! what an experience.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We usually bread 'em and deep fry.
NRA Life Member
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

cnjarvis wrote:I've never eaten wild mushrooms. Don't think I'd trust myself to pick the "good" ones.
What kind of a Woodsman are you...? :wink:

It's real easy..!

These are all morels. These are the easiest mushrooms to determine what they are in my opinion. Nothing looks like them except for the false morels and there's an easy way to weed them out. As you can see they come in many shapes and sizes, but they all have the same "brainy" appearance, and usually have a cone or globe type shape.

When you cut a true morel in half, you'll notice that the mushroom is hollow and that there is no cap. Mushrooms like the ones on your pizza have a cap that is removable from the stem. Morels are NOT like that, they are hollow from bottom to top.

If you pick something you think is a Morel and it has a solid center and is not hollow, you've found a False Morel. They look similar to a morel, but are usually brown or red in color. Also the brainy appearance doesn't match.

This is a False Morel. They try to mimic the true Morels, but they usually look like a big glob and the texture doesn't match a morel.

Do NOT eat a "False Morel" or "Red Morel" as some people call them, they are not true morels. Some people do eat the red ones, but they're asking for trouble.

If you follow a couple simple rules about Morels such as their appearance, color and the hollow stem, there's no way you can go wrong. They're really very easy to distinguish.

:D
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Oh boy are they ever nice, not real plentiful in my area.I gew up eating them fried in butter,and that's how I do it now when I find some.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

So how did you end up cooking them? What do they taste like, chicken? :wink:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I'm going to cook them here at work for lunch, just flour'd and fried. They taste like,....well,....a morel. They have their own taste, mild compared to other mushrooms, kinda meaty.
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I've never seen them in West Texas. Where do they grow?
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I used this recipe before, left out the brandy and used only 6-8 morels, never found 2 dozen fresh at one time.

Chicken Breasts and Morels

Serves 4 as a main course

Chicken and morels are beautifully matched, especially when served over pasta and accompanied with a dry white wine.

* 2 dozen fresh morels, sliced, or 2 ounces dried morels and 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 cup flour
* 4 single chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and pounded flat
* 5 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons oil
* 2 tablespoons brandy
* 1/4 cup beef broth
* 1/4 cup heavy cream (use the reserved cream if you have used dried morels)
* 1/2 teaspoon green peppercorns, crushed
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* Salt and pepper

If using dried morels, simmer them in the cream until soft, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Reserve the cream.

Flour the chicken breasts lightly. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and the oil in a sauté pan or skillet, and sauté the chicken quickly, about 3 minutes on each side, then remove to a heated pan. Deglaze the pan with brandy. Pour this over the chicken breasts. Place them in a preheated 250º oven while you prepare the sauce.

Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in the same pan. Add the morels and cook until they become semi-dry. Add the beef broth and cream and let it cook down into a sauce. Add the peppercorns, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.

Place the chicken breasts on a warm platter and cover with the sauce just before serving.

--Louise Freedman
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Roll 'em in egg, then flour them and throw 'em in the frying pan, salting and peppering to taste.

But for the MOST important part. In the same pan also be sure and fry some elk backstrap that you saved from last winter! They take on a bit of each others flavor.............!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson