OT - Missing U.S. WW II Sub Found By Film Crew

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Missing U.S. WW II Sub Found By Film Crew

Post by don Tomás »

Missing U.S. WW II Sub Found By Film Crew (link)

TORONTO, March 30 (UPI) -- A Toronto television production company says it has located the wreckage of a missing U.S. submarine that was sunk in 1944 in the South China Sea.

World War II submarine USS Flier (SS 25) in port
in California in 1944. It was later sunk by a mine in
the South China Sea and remained missing until a
Toronto film crew located it in the spring of 2009.
U.S. Navy photo handout by yap films

In a news release, yap films said the U.S. Navy had confirmed the wreck they found was the World War II submarine USS Flier (SS 25) that sank and was lost since Aug. 13, 1944.

The Flier was a 1,525-ton Gato class submarine built at Groton, Conn., and went into service in October 1943. Of the 86 men aboard when the vessel hit a mine, 14 escaped, but only eight survived the swim to Palawan in the Philippines.

The sub was found at a depth of 330 feet by the father and son dive team of Mike and Warren Fletcher, who star in the "Dive Detectives" series that airs on The History Channel in Canada and the National Geographic channel elsewhere.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - Missing U.S. WW II Sub Found By Film Crew

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RIP to the rest of the crew. Very interesting Tom! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Ysabel Kid wrote:RIP to the rest of the crew. Very interesting Tom! :D
+1
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Callously brushing aside the lost lives and sentiment, I'd sure like to have that deck gun to mount in front of my house to deter unwanted visitors....

(...ok, I've watched "Second Hand Lions" one too many times, I'll admit it... :roll: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

This goes hand-in-hand with the WW II Navy plane found recently in the north west.

RIP, and amen.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

... and the sea shall give up her dead.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:Callously brushing aside the lost lives and sentiment, I'd sure like to have that deck gun to mount in front of my house to deter unwanted visitors....

(...ok, I've watched "Second Hand Lions" one too many times, I'll admit it... :roll: )
I was thinking more of "1941" where Dan Akroyd parked the big gun at Ned Beatty's house and told him, step by step, how NOT to use it. The house was toast before the end of the movie.

I think it's neat to find and recover these articles (planes, subs, etc.) but sometime I think the dead ought to be left where they lay. In 100 years are they going to decide to raise the U.S.S. Arizona and restore her?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"...I'd sure like to have that deck gun to mount in front of my house to deter unwanted visitors...."
Nah, all the good doctor needs is one of THESE!!! :shock:
Get Off My Lawn.jpg
Don't dial 911... Dial Dillon Aero!!!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

vancelw wrote:I think it's neat to find and recover these articles (planes, subs, etc.) but sometime I think the dead ought to be left where they lay. In 100 years are they going to decide to raise the U.S.S. Arizona and restore her?
I can understand your point, but I also think the families of those men would probably like to see them buried at home with proper honors, like they did for the crew of the Hunley. And, if they could talk, I'm willing to bet those officers and sailors would themselves prefer to reside in US soil.

Scott
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RSY wrote: I can understand your point, but I also think the families of those men would probably like to see them buried at home with proper honors, like they did for the crew of the Hunley. And, if they could talk, I'm willing to bet those officers and sailors would themselves prefer to reside in US soil.

Scott
And I see your point as well. I just sometimes feel that the motivation behind these recoveries is not respect for the dead. I think I may be cremated so I don't end up in a drawer in some future society's museum. Not that that is what they intend for the submariners.

I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I've been tempted to learn to play the bugle so I could sound taps for veteran's funerals. So many are having to use recordings nowadays because there are so few buglers.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

vancelw wrote:I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I've been tempted to learn to play the bugle so I could sound taps for veteran's funerals. So many are having to use recordings nowadays because there are so few buglers.
That's a nice idea. Do you know if there is an organization for getting scheduled, etc.? Also, playing on a real bugle is a nice touch. Too many do it with a trumpet, these days.

Scott

p.s. I like your signature line. That's about all we can do with any certainty.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RSY wrote:Found this site:

http://www.tapsbugler.com/

Thanks for that link. A very informative site.

I can't recall the names of any particular groups right now, but I think there are a few that assist with military funerals. We had a coworker pass away a couple of years ago that had served in Iraq as a soldier. The retired Marines group helped. I can't for the life of me remember the groups name.
I know a few years ago some groups were putting out the call for buglers because the number of funerals was exceeding the number of buglers. I know in the instance above, his widow said specifically she did not want a Taps played on a recorder and they did manage to find a human who could sound it on a trumpet.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

it's good to hear one of our own has been found. now there can be closure for any surviving family members.

hopefully, she will remain resting in peace.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm glad they found her.

And by the way, she was SS-250 vs. 25.

Best,
Oly
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

There used to be a weekly memorial for WWII sub sailors of the Pacific theater of action.

In 1994 I attended a few Sunday morning church services at the tiny chapel on the Naval Submarine Base in Pearl Harbor. During the service someone would stand up and read off the names of the crew of a sub sunk during WWII. Very moving experience, those guys being remembered by name so many years later. Every week was a different sub that was "still on patrol."

this website indicates that weekly services are no longer held:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/army_arch/4469305197/

4th picture down:
http://www.submarinebaseph.com/subbase.html

Cheers,

Carl