OT RANGE Report M60 Smith and Wesson

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

OT RANGE Report M60 Smith and Wesson

Post by Hillbilly »

who says snub nosed revolvers wont hit the broad side of the barn?
This is the early 70's 60 I picked up a few weeks ago.

Ammo: Wally World Remington 130grain FMJ
Distance: about 10 paces

I am willing to write the "flyers" off to the skinny grips. Houge grips usually tighten things up for me. I can feel this little revolver squirming all over in my hand without them.
sw60target.jpg
Think it will work in a cold dark alley if it needs to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT RANGE Report M60 Smith and Wesson

Post by kimwcook »

My bodyguard is extremely accurate considering it's only got a 2.5" bbl.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that smith will serve you a lifetime. nice choice. I have one in 3 inches. put stag grips on it. REALLY like it
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I carry a j frame also. They have good accuracy BUT>>>>>>they are not target guns. They are close quarters belly guns. If you can consistantly hit COM at 25 yds you're good. Encounters with a personal defense weapon like a j frame are usually much closer.

Just my $.02.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Pathfinder... I savvy the close quarters angle.

For most of us the "bubble" starts at 25 feet. If I get into powder burn range - well I missed something and screwed the pooch or the gremlin is talented.

Leaving the area or just avoiding it if I can is always the "A" choice.

This little pistol may take a bunny or two next fall... for grins and giggles.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats pretty darn good :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

looks like you are well heeled,ready for anything. 8)
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My defensive load for my Model 60 Ladysmith .357 is the Remington 125 gr. SJHP. Trust me when I say that it hurts to shoot this gun with this load.

But, it is a classic case of mind over matter --- I don't mind the pain, so it don't matter. The gun is a precision device, and it gives phenomenol accuracy. If I related some of the groups fired at 10, 25, even 50 yards while benchresting this little gun, I would be derided as a liar. But in practical terms, I will say that if I am shooting at a paper-plate-sized target at 50 yards, offhand, I can easily hit the target 5 for 5. To me, that is 'way beyond what a gun like this should ever be needed to do. But it sure is nice to know that it CAN do it, if ever needed.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Nice gun Hillbilly, they are amazing. I've owned one for at least 20yrs. Like Pisgah said, accuracy can be amazing, yes its a belly gun but back when the eyes were younger, I could take my Model 60 and usually keep 3 or 4 rounds out of 5 on a IPSC target at 100yds!

A Tyler grip adapter helps a lot and I carried mine for years like that, now I have the small boot grip in rubber on it made by Houge. Helps control a lot.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What was that film where Gene Hackman pops his nemisis off with a snub nose across some water as the bad guy was on a yacht? Was it a smith or colt??

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Been playing with those 130 grain FMJ's... that's all I can get.........and many of the new "defensive" cartridges are coming in around 125 grains.

What say ye? What's the latest "best" defensive cartridges for the short 38 Special.

(most of my 158 RNL has turned green :lol: )