OT: Sorry about this, I just need to talk for a second.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Sorry about this, I just need to talk for a second.

Post by mklwhite »

Strange. I found out today that a (High) schoolmate/friend of mine had died. He was a couple of years younger than me and I found out he died a couple of years ago.

Major Christopher Michael James Kennedy
September 15, 1971 – August 2, 2007
At 17 Chris attained an appointment to the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD.
Chris studied History at the Academy and would later return to his alma mater for a brief professorship. He graduated in 1994 and accepted a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps. Upon completion of The Basic School, he continued his military education at flight school, earning his ‘Wings of Gold’ and a post as Navigator and Electronic Counter-Measures Officer aboard EA-6B Prowlers.
After completing his Fleet tour of duty, Captain Kennedy returned to the Naval Academy and served as a professor and Academy drill team commander until 2003. He “retired” into the Marine reserves and briefly entered civilian life for a few weeks. The call of duty was too strong, though, and he answered that call with a tour in Iraq as a war historian, documenting Marine activities in the War on Terror. It was a tour that fulfilled his sense of obligation to his country and satisfied his deep passion for historical study. He was promoted to Major in 2004.
Even more than his military accolades, Chris loved people and people loved Chris. In his wake he left a trail of friends deeply touched by his loyalty, humor, intelligence and candor. More than a few were introduced to a vivid faith in Jesus Christ that Chris held deep in his heart. Faithful to the end, he was his sister’s hero, his parents’ pride, and the embodiment of true, unconditional friendship.

(edited for length)

In school we would talk about history and wars and taking over the world. We would try to fight certain battles of various wars and see if we thought we could have changed history.
It took me a bit to find out what happened. Apparently he suffered from depression. Enough said. Not sure why or what happened to cause that.
He was a good kid.
Sorry, this just kind of hit me weird I guess.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Sorry about this, I just need to talk for a second.

Post by homefront »

Sorry for your loss :(
It is kind of weird to hear that you lost a piece of your past. Kind of shocks old memories to life.
Depression is a brutal enemy that many of us are saddled with. Makes life hard to take. I'm sorry to hear he had it so badly.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very sorry for your and his families loss!
Sounded like a very good young man! :(
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That is really sad, especially hard when you know them; and your close in age. Sorry for your loss
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a shame, sorry to hear that. Depression is a hard one to deal with. I've been close to it for many years, not suffering from it myself but close to someone who does. It affects entire familys, but those effects can be greatly reduced with the proper care. Trouble is when that care isn't given, or in some cases, accepted. :(
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have seen that elsewhere. I'm sorry for the loss for his family and friends. Clearly he is missed. It isn't uncommon that those who so suffer can't see or be affected by that love even if they do see it. I'm sure that in his position he did all he could to hide his problem choosing service over personal safety.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I am sorry for your loss.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sorry to hear of your loss. Rest in Peace Sir.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

As a graduate of USNA, I get a monthly publication that has those for whom taps has been played. I feel the same loss. Each month brings many mixed feelings. Prayers and blessings to you. One day, I will be in that magazine and I hope the write up is as nice as what you posted.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My condolences. I'l say a prayer for him, his family, and friends.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Another lost to war...no matter what was supposed to have caused it..... :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is especially strange when you find out someone has passed years ago, while in your mind, they were during that time part of your 'set of friends' of whom you're always conscious. It's like, "Wait a minute, he was still alive just last week (or, at least was alive in my mind, when I was remembering that time we did such-and-such); how can that be...?"
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It speaks well of him that he left such a lasting impression behind. Prayers sent for his family and friends. I hope his new wings are even better than the old ones.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Chris Kennedy might have lost his battle with the black dogs two years ago, but since you just found out your grief is as fresh as if it happened yesterday.

Your words and memories speak well of the young man, and of you,

Lots of folks get angry when friends take their own lives. Try to avoid that. As a Marine and aviator, no one of intelligence can doubt Chris' courage. But sometimes the black dogs of despair can even pull down heroes. Think kindly of your old friend.

As one who has battled depression his entire life, I can honestly say that but for the grace of God, I'd have gone the same way. i will be saying a prayer for the repose of Chris Kennedy's soul and for the comfort of the friends and family he left behind.

BTW, there is nothing in the least bit weird about grieving for the loss of an old friend.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The black dog calls around these parts too sometimes, not nice.

Sorry for your loss, I am thinking of you friend.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Sorry for you loss and ours with the passing of an outstanding young man. Thoughout the years I've come to realize the "worth" of a person is not the amount of material wealth they accumulate throughout life, but the impact for the good they have on the peoples lives they touch, and unfortunately this equates to an equivalant pain for those same people when that person passes to the next life. Evidently this young man had great worth. Your words and feelings do your friend a great service.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Thank you all for your words and condolences. He was the nicest guy I eve new. He always made anyone he spoke to the focus of his attention and made it seem like they were his best friend. A far friendlier and happier (seeming, apparently) man than I.
AJMD429 wrote:It is especially strange when you find out someone has passed years ago, while in your mind, they were during that time part of your 'set of friends' of whom you're always conscious. It's like, "Wait a minute, he was still alive just last week (or, at least was alive in my mind, when I was remembering that time we did such-and-such); how can that be...?"
That's exactly it. There person who told me asked 'have you heard about Chris' (I had to ask which Chris as I know a few) and she said 'Chris Kennedy'. I asked 'Isn't he still saving the world or did he finally decide to take it over without me?' (I thought maybe a promotion or he was in town or something. I must admit I wasn't paying too close attention to the way she said it because I was in the middle of a project at work.) and that was when she told me. It was like a sucker punch. And then somehow when I heard that it was a couple of years ago I thought 'it can't be him', 'I'd have known somehow, someone would have told me.' I found out his folks had moved to Texas and I guess the lines of communication were dropped.
If I was ever asked to 'name three of the guys you liked best in school' his name would be at the top of the list.
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I can only imagine the "shockwave" were I in your shoes. Thankfully, the black dogs are not part of my life but that is only because of the grace of God. Some of my in - laws suffer from this and it is never pretty.

Keep your chin up, my friend.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers Sent For Him and You.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Depression is unkind to even the strongest men. Maybe even worse to them. My condolences.