Question for you guys that scope your leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Question for you guys that scope your leverguns

Post by dr walker »

Even when using low rings I have never been able to get my eye possitioned correctly behind the scope with out lifting my cheek off the stock.
Do you guys use a cheek pad or some other attachment to the stock or as Hobie jokes in another post do you just have long faces?
I have tried one butt cuff with a little extra cheek pad but I did not like the way it would slide around on the stock.
If anyone is using one does it stay in place?
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question for you guys that scope your leverguns

Post by nemhed »

My first rifle was a 39a that I've had for a little over 30 years. I put a scope on it within the first year. I've got a scope on my Marlin 1894c. While their stocks might not be ideal for scope use, as long as the eye relief is set right I don't have an problems shooting any scoped rifles. I know I'm using more of a chin or jaw weld than a cheek weld, but it doesn't seem unnatural even compared to my heavy barrel, scoped varmint rifle. Maybe a little practice is all it takes. Sorry I don't have any more advice than that. :wink:
Last edited by nemhed on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Can't say I've noticed a problem getting my head in the right position, but the only scope I've used on a levergun was a shotgun scope on my Marlin Cowboy. The relief was generous, so head position wasn't critical.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well no long face here but due I suppose to the shape of my face - jowls - I can't get down on a Model 94 Winchester comfortably with iron sights. Could be the way my neck is.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I can't explain it but I've never had a problem with scopes even on guns not nessesarliy designed for them. Here a couple months ago I was wondering why and took up my 94AE and shouldered it numourous times to see why it worked well for me with a scope on it. Never could really tell why except that maybe I had a lower cheek/upper chin weld on the stock. All my guns less 2 have scopes on them. That includes 10/22's and shotguns. I think more than anything I may just be used to to using scopes on these types of guns.

Now one thing I have noticed. A couple years ago I was watching a shooting show (Cowboy's, I think) and they were talking about the proper way to bring a long gun up. You bring it to your face first and then back into your shoulder. After that show I checked the way I do it and lucky for me I was doing it right. But I can see where doing the reverse could create a problem with proper mounting and lining up sights or glass. To me it would be odd to have a gun to your shoulder and trying to bring my head down to it, but I do see other shooters doing just that. As a matter of fact I and most shooters are taught to do the same thing when we start shooting. Think about it, everytime I see a new shooter being taught how to hold a gun I see them being told the butt goes here, this elbow up, this elbow down, the safety is here, etc etc. The whole time this is being done their head is up. Then when it comes time to fire they bring theire head down. Backwards IMO. Just a little thing that most shooters likely know but I had no idea about till that show. Guess I was lucky.

LK
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, I think that there is "proper" way to mount a long gun, but it's also possible to adjust yourself to the gun. When the gun actually fits you properly, putting the butt "where it belongs" is good, and makes for a very fast mount. Shotgun shooters that are serious about their shooting have their guns fitted to them, as do rifle shooters. Mounting fast and hitting moving targets with a scope isnt a big deal when the gun fits you, and you don't have to hunt around for the reticle and fool around with getting the gun to some place that you can find it, it should be natural and consistant.

When I hear of guys complain that they "cant shoot scopes" and "scopes are slow" the first thing that comes to mind is that they don't have their guns fitting them, or their scope mounts. Some of us fit some standard guns very well, some need some stock work. When the stock and scope mounts fit right, throwing your rifle up and instantly and clearly seeing what you're looking for in the scope is almost like magic, its right there.

It may not be practical to do much stock work on some guns, but then again it may. I've seen my Dad sand down the comb of some rather expensive shotguns getting them to fit properly, then refinishing them, or having other stock changes made. He fools with them for hours, trying the feel and fit, and balance. His results speak for themself. He's wicked fast and good with a shotgun. Proper height mounts are part of the equation also, and often can be changed for better fit. Eye relief is only one part of it, height and stock drop/length/comb height are the rest.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I assume you saw my post on the other topic. I have these ammocarrier/cheeckpieces made so that when I mount the gun with my eyes closed the moment I open them it is clear and ready to shoot. I love'em and have an order in for one for my savage 99. I am about the most technologically challenged dude you know but I will try to get a few pics up tonight. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Dr Walker,

Wish you where in north Florida so that I could let you try a pistol grip BLR w/ a scope. I have the same problem with some brands, especially Remingtons. The Brownings have a different stock drop and they work out great for me w/ a scope. I use the Deadnutz one piece medium mounts w/ a scope having a bell no more tham 40mm. I never had a Winchester 94 scoped, but tried a few and found them awkward. The Marlin 336 line scoped was a little better, as long as the mounts were of medium height. To specifically answer your question about the add on butt pads, I never found one that I liked or that worked for me.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have problems with some rifles, and not with others.

If you need to raise your face in order to see then you definitely need a cheek pad if you want to be consistent. You can get plenty of them that do not slide. Does that fellow from Leverguns Leather make one?? If so I am sure he would make exactly what you want. He made some leather products for my Low Wall. And his work was great. Tom.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

never had a problem my self on my leverguns, some folk stand way to square on to the target which can make things worse!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote:...some folk stand way to square on to the target which can make things worse! Nath.
Yes, I see that quite a bit myself; it also makes recoil harder to manage, and requires a scope mounted farther rearward than is often practical.
nemhed wrote:I know I'm using more of a chin or jaw weld than a cheek weld, but it doesn't seem unnatural even compared to my heavy barrel, scoped varmint rifle.
I realized a year or so ago that I never had bothered with "cheek weld", yet I could outshoot many guys who knew all about it (I hadn't even heard the term :oops: ). When analyzing my own shooting stance, I realized I use "jaw weld" and it works just fine for me (unless maybe I tried to talk while shooting... :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ok here is a picture of the one Wes made for me(but I did the leather burning) he makes them nice. Here is a picture of the sheath he just made for me. It can be carried both strongside straight up and down or weak side horizontally. It is nice guys! Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That leather work looks real nice.
It does not look like it would slide around at all.
I mostly have straight stocked rifles and the butt cuffs seem to slide up on them and get under the lever.

Just to clear up the problem I have with scopes, my eye is .5-.75 inch below where it needs to be to look through the scope properly. When I lift my cheek off the stock I lose consistency. I have no problem with reciever sights or standard opensights as my eye falls right in line with them when the rifle is mounted.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is the setup I use for scoping my Marlins:

This puts the scope about perfect for me - allows a good cheek weld. But my face is rather full and I more often will have a problem of too much contact - many shotgun stocks are too high for me for example.

Leupold base and rings - extra low.

That's my .356 Win chambered 336.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i have a scout scope set up on my WWG co-pilot and I don't notice a problem with acquiring a proper sight picture, using the stock.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot