Mini Range Report Marlin .338MX

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Mini Range Report Marlin .338MX

Post by .45colt »

Early this year when I saw Remington was comeing out with their core-loct ammo for the Marlin it pushed Me over the edge. I have had the MX for about six weeks now but haven't shot it. today we have a heat wave in Ohio it was 59* at 1:30 today . there is about a foot of slushy snow back in the woods so i took the chrony back and shot 10 rounds of the Hornady ammo.
I shot the Mx as it left the factory after cleaning it first. I fired it at 50 yards thru the chrony offhand. average velocity (22" barrel) was 2493fps. using a six oclock hold on the target all shots were to the right of the bull and six were in a group under 3" well centered. this would change alot when shot from a steady bench,and I haven't shot in many months.
When the weather warms up and the Remington ammo comes out I will try to post some pictures. this is a nice package.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mini Range Report Marlin .338MX

Post by BenT »

I really like it's balance. It's a great package. I'm not parting with mine anytime soon.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That sounds plenty quick enough for a 338 slug (how heavy?) Looks like you are on to a winner :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45colt,

How about when you do the next range test you post some pics of the rifle, and the ammunition? It helps give me a complete picture of what you're telling us.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Nath& Joe, it's the 200grn Hornady ammo. And Yes I will do some pictures next time Joe. the Remington 250grn ammo is supposed to be out in a few weeks and that will be pretty interesting. I want to shoot it off the bench and compare how the ammo shoots. yesterday was a quick look see :) .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

.45colt wrote:Nath& Joe, it's the 200grn Hornady ammo. And Yes I will do some pictures next time Joe. the Remington 250grn ammo is supposed to be out in a few weeks and that will be pretty interesting. I want to shoot it off the bench and compare how the ammo shoots. yesterday was a quick look see :) .
Serious medicine!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sounds good! I have a .356 Winchester chambered Marlin that gives identical velocities for the weights and I love it. The .338" have better sectional density - a good lever round for sure.

Looking forward to more reports.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Thanks for the report. I have been thinking seriously about one when I heard of the ammo from Remington also. I have not seen one of the rifles yet, but I really want to now that Ben said it balances nice. May have to make my rounds this weekend.