Drill & Tap for Williams FP-94/36 - not that hard or costly

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Drill & Tap for Williams FP-94/36 - not that hard or costly

Post by AJMD429 »

Several folks have recently inquired about sight installation, and I thought I'd post some pics about mounting the Williams FP 94/36. If I can do it, anyone can. Anyway, hope this helps get someone started who needed a bit of encouragement.

Here's all you need: Tap is 6-48, and drill is supposed to be a #31, but I used a slightly smaller #33. I like the 'straight-flute' carbide ones. (...the 'guide' I have says use #33 for a 6-48 but #31 for a 6-40...?). I got Tap Magic at the Ace Hardware in town. A good center-punch is a must, and drill press.

Here's the specific parts I ordered from MidwayUSA:
I may have done overkill on the drill bit, but it cuts through gun receivers like they're butter. Also, I wound up liking a tap handle I bought locally a bit better (deeper divet in the top for guiding on drill press).

The sight needs to be far enough rearward that the case will eject; a bit behind the boltface's rearmost travel seems to work fine. If you haven't deactivated the semi-safety, you shouldn't cover it up.

Drill the first hole.

Then TAP the first hole. I like using a piece of rod or bolt that fits in the top end of the tap handle, and have the drill press 'guide' (no pressure downward) the tap as I turn it by hand, backing up a partial turn for every turn or so clockwise. Use lots of Tap Magic; it does seem to make a difference vs. 'WD-40'. I tap clear through and when the tap turns very easily you're done and can raise the chuck and back the tap out.

Countersink the holes very slightly or otherwise de-burr them.

Mount the sight with the first screw, and level it front to back before center-punching the second hole. Ideally your punch should be 'snug' enough in the sight's hole to be centered; 'eyeballing' it is too tricky. Some folks use a smaller drill bit just fitting the sight hole, or they will slip a very small bit inside a 'bearing' sleeve of tubing that fits the sight hole, and use the drill to 'mark' the second hole and start it at the same time.

Drill the Second hole, then tap it as above.

Both holes drilled now.

Put it all back together. (You might want NKJ's DVD for this part...)

Oh yeah - last step. . . Go shootin'. . . !!!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mounting the Williams FP-94/36 - pics to follow...

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yup, That`s the way I do it to. :D

More pics on the Drill and tap thread by Shooter.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mounting the Williams FP-94/36 - not that hard or costly

Post by shooter »

Thanks for the post, AJMD. It looks doable, and I would probably attempt it if I were working on my gun. Unfortunately, it's my friend that is inquiring about installing the sight, as I already have several. He's terrified of working on his own guns, and I'm terrified of working on his guns too. I will work on mine all day long, but there are some things I won't do for my buddies because I don't have the money to replace their guns if I mess something up. I mess up my gun, I cuss myself, and have to wait till I save up the money to buy another. I mess up my friends' guns, and they are upset with me, plus it's not fair for them to have to wait a long time on a replacement.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks AJ. Another "how to" thread in my bookmarks. Now all I need is all the tools you used and I'm in business.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there AJ -- Nice job for sure. Here is a tool that will make your collective lives a lot easier. It is called a Vix-Bit and is a self-centering pilot hole starter. It has a sliding outer sleeve with a tapered tip. Put it over you guide hole (sight, hinge, etc.) and push. It can just locate, or drill the complete hole, and they come in various sizes. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wind,

Those look pretty neat. Where do you get them?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey Joe - This outfit has some good stuff, as well as Vix Bits. You and you credit card are on your own... Best regards. Wind

http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp? ... 1267968747
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Sorry to bring up this old topic but I was wondering, if you don't have the rear safety (my rossi came without one) then there is no reason I couldn't mount the sight farther backwards right?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Roland wrote:Sorry to bring up this old topic but I was wondering, if you don't have the rear safety (my rossi came without one) then there is no reason I couldn't mount the sight farther backwards right?
Roland,
The normal sight location would put the sight right over the safety lever. This would interfere with the safety and prevent the sight from going all the way down. So that necessitates moving the sight forward.
Without the safety there's no reason not to mount it all the way back.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. Joe's right. Just make sure there's enough 'thumb' room to cock or de-cock the hammer manually without hitting the aperture, if it is screwed in.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Doc, real good instructions.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
josef644
Levergunner

Re: Drill & Tap for Williams FP-94/36 - not that hard or costly

Post by josef644 »

I just found this post. This encourage s me to take this on. I will be putting this on my R92 Rossi 45 Colt.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire josef644........ :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When it comes to gunsmithing, if I can do it, a blind drunk monkey could do it.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I bought this 94 new about 1957 when I was 16. I put the Williams foolproof on it. The holes were there and I didn't have to drill. I did have the pad put on for LOP. I have other rifles and hadn't shot this one in many years. Finally a few years ago I took it to the range to check it and it still was spot on. Under it is a 64 made about 1954. Still like new. I got lucky.
https://i.postimg.cc/4N6Mr90x/Win-94-2359216.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/dtVp8MBj/Win-64-1882603.jpg
josef644
Levergunner

Post by josef644 »

IMG_7098.jpg
A few pics. It took me a week to get the tap and #31 drill bit. I did't want to mess around with the left side cartridge guide. I took my time and located me a sweet spot. I nailed it. Its a bit farther back than AJMD429's mounting. In the second pic, the left hole is the 'sweet spot' I mentioned. I want to add that the two furnished screws do not protrude threw the receiver. No need to worry about having to dress the ends off. Even on the one that goes into the track for the locking lugg. I had a small amount of metal to dress from the holes I drilled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by josef644 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool...looks like a perfect job...

You even got Target Knobs... 8)

I have them on my 32-20 Marlin but I did put a regular knob on the windage since I mostly adjust elevation due to range or load changes.

josef644
Levergunner

Post by josef644 »

I own a Mossberg 464, which is a copy of a 94 Winchester. They are not drilled for an additional sight. I will be adding one of these to this new rifle.