Alphawolf45=Charlie Pattens?idea's?First cuts with MicroMill

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Alphawolf45=Charlie Pattens?idea's?First cuts with MicroMill

Post by gregg »

Today did my first cuts with Micro Mill on a 1x4 wood.
I know that there are patterns of guns in wood but I never gave it a though that this is a
easy way to test tooling and ability to make parts?
I think I see a way for a first timer to make a Rolling Block action if one would make the tangs
separate.Trigger in bottom tang and top tang pined or screwed on action? That way one could make
the square cuts in the action where barrel breech is.
Is there somewhere to find a pattern of a RB action ?
Hobie

Re: Alphawolf45=Charlie Pattens?idea's?First cuts with MicroMill

Post by Hobie »

I tried to make a Sharps pattern in wood a way back in 1967 I think it was. Of course I had only two weeks in my Grandfathers shop and hand tools only, no measurements, only the vaguest idea of how anything worked, etc. I think the method now is to use plastic. Col. Colt's first model was of wood. I have a feeling yours will be a bit less crude!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

Hobie wrote:I tried to make a Sharps pattern in wood a way back in 1967 I think it was. Of course I had only two weeks in my Grandfathers shop and hand tools only, no measurements, only the vaguest idea of how anything worked, etc. I think the method now is to use plastic. Col. Colt's first model was of wood. I have a feeling yours will be a bit less crude!
I have a feeling yours will be a bit less crude![/
LOL :lol: :lol:
Hobie I sorry you don't know me better.

I have read that the Sharps is a tuff one to machine or stock..
Thank You Hobie.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

gregg wrote:
Hobie wrote:I tried to make a Sharps pattern in wood a way back in 1967 I think it was. Of course I had only two weeks in my Grandfathers shop and hand tools only, no measurements, only the vaguest idea of how anything worked, etc. I think the method now is to use plastic. Col. Colt's first model was of wood. I have a feeling yours will be a bit less crude!
I have a feeling yours will be a bit less crude![/
LOL :lol: :lol:
Hobie I sorry you don't know me better.

I have read that the Sharps is a tuff one to machine or stock..
Thank You Hobie.
Are you saying that you can't do better with that machine than I could with some knives, rasps and bench vise? :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

Hobie

Like I said first cuts , First time I even turned a mill of any kind on. Not looking good so far.lol
Alphawolf45 has build some nice stevens single shots . 22 and CF rifles and there a Jaco Western pistol and carbine
Out there that looks first timer to me. But I like to stay in the look and time of our beloved Lever guns.
Not to say there not a SA 9mm carbine in my head wanting to get out. lol
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yer gonna have fun.

I've had a Sherline Mill with a rotary table for years. Used to have a big lathe but no more.

I've made lots of stuff on the Sherline, ranging from copying gun parts to a complete miniature supercharger for a 4 stroke RC airplane engine, including the vaned rotor, snail case housing, etc.

WOOD is a great medium to learn with. I've made grips for a semi auto pistol, including the cutouts on the back side for the linkages, etc. Simply being able to mill to a dead on thickness, square and parallel is neat. Being able to locate holes EXACTLY where ya want em, etc is nice too.

For neat starter projects, get hold of some maple or walnut chunks and see if ya can't make up little dovetail boxes or round boxes with a slip fit top. A dovetail box so slick ya can't see the dovetail is kinda neat..... One year I made up some pill boxes and eyeglass cases out of purpleheart, inlaid coins in the lids for decorations, gave em as Christmas gifts.
Certified gun nut
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

Jack

Cool

I have a 4 inch rotary table coming'
I don't know if I will ever get this thing fingered out but its going to be fun.
Our gun builders seem to have left the building?